Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Jimmy Lewis
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jetblue "Golfbag" policies?

Postby rocktor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:58 am

Any experience with Jetblue and it's Kite Golf bag policies? It's website says that they charge 50 bucks for surfboard/windsurf/snowboard. But how about a Golf bag with a kite board with 3 kites? Any body with any real time experience?
Thanks.
PJ

Faber
Frequent Poster

Re: Jetblue "Golfbag" policies?

Postby Faber » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:33 am

when I was on TT I had a Golf Bag for travelling.
I found out the all the Airlines co I flown just care about the weight, more than the size, here it comes the problem.
Extra weight cost much more than an additional luggage.
I suggest you to check the "extra weight" fees, not only the size.

rgds,
Fabrizio

DSZ
Frequent Poster
Weight: 188
Local Beach: New England
Favorite Beaches: Cape Ann, Cape Cod, Hatteras, Turks and Caicos.
Style: Prefer Surf
Gear: Airush Lithiums and Wave. Custom Amundson, BWS surfboards. Occasional Jamie Pro 139 TT

Postby DSZ » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm

I can say that flying Jet Blue to Florida and the Turks and Caicos about 9 times I have only been asked twice what was in the bag and both those times the NSI Bag weighed over 50 lbs. When under 50 lbs they never question it.

Keep it under 50 lbs!

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby kitewise » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:35 pm

rocktor wrote:Any experience with Jetblue and it's Kite Golf bag policies? It's website says that they charge 50 bucks for surfboard/windsurf/snowboard. But how about a Golf bag with a kite board with 3 kites? Any body with any real time experience?
Thanks.
PJ
JB does havea policy for kitesurfing gear. They charge but have expanded the weight limit to 100 lbs. BUT,
I've traveled with the gold bag for years with no charge.
I had friends that traveled from JFK in Feb. the contents cost them extra , per bag due to their contents of kiting gear.
So maybe it depends on the airport. Keep it under 50 lbs.

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:23 am

Yeah gotta keep it somewhat light... I have a "Large Golf" travel bag that fits 2 boards and 2 kites + harness. Weighs right around 50lbs.

Like the other guy said... I get some weird looks at the "size" of my "golf" bag, but its all about the weight.

If you have soft(er) "golf" travel bag, and you lay the boards on the bottom make sure to put the fins facing up and not down. My bag suffered a rip from this. Or just take the fins off if it fits better with the fins down due to the rocker of the TT.

rocktor
Medium Poster
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:40 pm

Good point. Does everyone take fins and pads off?

kitewise
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ct., Fla.,Aruba, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Pompano beach Fla.
LongbeachPark Stratford, Ct.
Boa Grande Aruba
OBX for sure
Gear: EPIC screamer and Renegade
EPIC DROID
BEST Thruster
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby kitewise » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:51 pm

rocktor wrote:Good point. Does everyone take fins and pads off?
I usually take fins and handle off. Seems to pack better

rocktor
Medium Poster
Jimmy Lewis

Postby rocktor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:21 pm

I packed 1 board, 3 kites, 3 bars and a harness in a NSI Golfbag and it is over 60 lbs. I haven' even packed my wetsuit in it yet. What do people normally do? I really don't want to check 2 bags if I don't have to.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:40 pm

rocktor wrote:I packed 1 board, 3 kites, 3 bars and a harness in a NSI Golfbag and it is over 60 lbs. I haven' even packed my wetsuit in it yet. What do people normally do? I really don't want to check 2 bags if I don't have to.
On jet blue it's $50 for weight overage fee but $40 for a second checked bag. Your call. What do people normally do? They check a second bag or take less stuff.

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:03 pm

edt wrote:
rocktor wrote:I packed 1 board, 3 kites, 3 bars and a harness in a NSI Golfbag and it is over 60 lbs. I haven' even packed my wetsuit in it yet. What do people normally do? I really don't want to check 2 bags if I don't have to.
On jet blue it's $50 for weight overage fee but $40 for a second checked bag. Your call. What do people normally do? They check a second bag or take less stuff.
Here is what I do to avoid all bag fees: Most airlines have credit card miles programs. If you just have the credit card (you don't even need to use it) they will waive your fees. Like AMEX with Delta. I have the Delta AMEX Skymiles card. Just having the card alone removes me from any bag fees and I can check 2 backs with no charge (including "golf" bags). So... pack your gear across two bags. I use one bag for my 2 kites, 2 boards & harness. My other bag for wetsuit/intangibles. Bring your beach wear in a backpack carry on. Not sure about you, but when I travel to my warm weather/water kite locations I literally have 2 or 3 board shorts, a couple t shirts and flip flops. Not much else a dude needs IMO.

I can only speak to Delta & AMEX card programs allowing free bags checked. But I have to imagine the others do it also. If you do use the card for purchases, be careful as the interest rates are high(er). So make sure to be responsible and pay it off in full each month. Now that I think of it, I think I actually need to buy my plane ticket with the card to receive the free checked bags benefit. That's fine... a few hundo,... just pay it off right away.
Last edited by GregWoj on Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”