Forum for kitesurfers
TommyDuotone
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: IB, Rauls, 38's, Gavs
Style: surf
Gear: North, Ocean Rodeo, Firewire

Re: The best Kite for heavy riders?

Postby TommyDuotone » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm about 205 and found its more the board than the kite to be the equalizer. One of my surfboards has a generous amount of volume with light rocker and allows me to ride the same size kite as the lighter guys, sometimes even smaller. I've also found the correct fin setup with proper technique will make a significant difference when tracking back upwind on a surfboard. Basically, ride the board flatter with the kite lower to help engage the fins and utilize the volume of the board.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:07 pm

edt wrote: ...

I don't think you necessarily need a larger board. Yes it will get you on a plane easier but once you are riding you don't really need a larger board than a tiny fella.
HA !! That's Funny !!!
Go to San Diego for a few weeks in the summer , and see if you change your mind on that one.

I usually set two boards on the beach ; one big one to ride till the wind picks up, then
a smaller one when it does.

I'm 6'1" -- 205Lb, and usually ride a 13M Ozone edge ; it's good for 14 to 30 mph
with the two boards. If i place 32m lines on the kite, i'm good for 13 to 30mph; so line
selection is also a factor.

Bille

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Interesting...what gives you more fun (assuming the rider just wants to go back and forth and jump):

Smaller kite with bigger board
Or
Big kite with smaller board

wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby wedge » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:12 pm

I'm noticing a distinct lack of brand-bashing and belittling on this thread. Just good honest opinions on the gear people own and enjoy.

Go Big Guys!! :thumb:

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:20 pm

At the end of the day it all comes down to what works best for you and the areas you ride in. Most brands put out some excellent kites with the power that is needed for heavier riders. Not all kites have the desired low end that we need and it is nice to be able to ride a smaller kite at times. If brand A gets me out on a kite in a smaller size than brand B, than it would be a better buy (granted all else is equal)! The only real benefit to being heavier is that I need less kites in my quiver to ride here as I can hold bigger kites into stronger winds. When my lighter riding buddies size down, I can either follow suit or keep riding the kite that I am on (they don't have that luxury). Most need 4 kites and I can get away with two.... Not that I do but I could.

James

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board
Been thanked: 0

Postby 20 m or bust » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:38 am

6'2" 250 lbs. Ride inland in lakes so very gusty. I have ridden airush, best, epic and now Switch. Loved the 20m Waroo (weighed closer to 300 when I rode that). Love the epic screamer 14. I ride the switch element 1 15m from 15 to 28 or so. Jumps and floats great. Really want to try the '14 switch nitro 16m. I have an 11m switch element for when the wind gets 30 mph and above. I have a Litewave 179 tt I ride much of the time. It allows me to ride thru the lulls and still allows for jumps and such. On good high wind days I go to a 135 x 46 tt. Good luck and ride hard...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:59 am

Well... recently, I would have said "you need a big board" too but after a month in NZ enjoying demos on Axis boards, I have to say that the right board is... just the right board.

Basically, if I couldn't go upwind on the smaller boards, there simply wasn't the power in the kite to do anything -- even if I swapped it for a bigger light wind board, I'd just be going upwind a little and mowing the lawn. Incredibly impressive, the Vanguard and Limited boards; I loved them so much I bought one :D

I had a Nitro3 14 for 2 weeks too... weather was never quite right; either way over- or just under-powered and I only got to ride it "in range" for about 10 minutes :(

Mention it because it was really good at the bottom end... very little in it between that and my gen1 OR Flite 17.5 - I think cos the Nitro make such good power easily when worked and was faster in the turns. I think maybe a 19m kite would have been better but there was seriously very little wind.

I can see how people would only have a 14 as their biggest kite and just not bother when the wind was so light... but I'd never last through summer without my 21 :D

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:01 am

Oh, it was interesting that despite being heavier than the NZ riders, I was often using a the same size or smaller kite :o I don't know what to make of that...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:04 am

And oh - best kite? I think big leading edge is important, pumped up tight. Smaller diameter ones always seem to fold on me when I load them up...

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:01 am

I buddy of mine who weighs 265-270 pounds, has used a Wainman Big Mama like everyone else uses a 12M, seems to be the kite he would end up on, most days.
Big fat leading edge that holds shape when the big guys wang it. :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”