Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Would you pay for beach access?

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Re: Would you pay for beach access?

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:19 am

There is a place in UK that discriminates against windsurfers and kiters - West Witterings. A group (trust) bought the land with beach access and charges everyone to park (huge profits) and will not let anyone pass that has kit with them and that will not join the club (they made an agreement with them) it's expensive).It's the english class system working to put the commoner in their place, using lawyers, arcane laws from a hundred year ago, and generally lobbying authorities to keep their control over everything using unsubstantiated safety claims etc

The most embarrassing thing of all is that it is a commercial profit making entity that controls this.

Those that exploit peoples freedom for profit are the lowest form of scum in my book.

william_rx7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby william_rx7 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:00 am

If you want to make people pay for parking at your beach fine.
Just be sure to be putting that extra $ into a piggy bank somewhere, and don't ask for a public bail-out the next time a hurricane wipes your town off the map.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fdvj » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:07 am

longwhitecloud wrote:There is a place in UK that discriminates against windsurfers and kiters - West Witterings. A group (trust) bought the land with beach access and charges everyone to park (huge profits) and will not let anyone pass that has kit with them and that will not join the club (they made an agreement with them) it's expensive).It's the english class system working to put the commoner in their place, using lawyers, arcane laws from a hundred year ago, and generally lobbying authorities to keep their control over everything using unsubstantiated safety claims etc

The most embarrassing thing of all is that it is a commercial profit making entity that controls this.

Those that exploit peoples freedom for profit are the lowest form of scum in my book.
The don't own the sea, they just own the land and unusually the seabed down to low water mark. So if you are floating on the sea the only person that has power to control you is the Admiralty, and they don't get out of bed unless its serious.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:17 pm

tkettlepoint wrote:James it is a big grey area. it was all rez at one time but they sold of beach front to the white man. They all have deeds to the land. The town I live in has ok this all under wrap that I know of , not very public.

At one time the white man put up post so people couldn't drive on the beach and the native pulled the post out. ( I was there that day) now it is on the other hand.. We will see how it plays out this May24.

terrie
Hey Terrie,

If they have sold off the land than I would not be paying. Time for a nice call to your mayor and than to your local MP. Their rights to govern that land was lost the moment that they accepted payment. With all the initial pissing and moaning that they will start with just won't last. It seems they look for one fight to another but fail to follow through with any to the end.

James

samsam
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: North Wainmann

Postby samsam » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:20 pm

I will never pay for beach access but what i would pay for is a limitation of kiters on water.
For example - You get a small flag to tie on your harness and it will cost 5$ per hour. the number of flags will be limited and who ever doesn't have a flag can't go out and kite.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:46 pm

samsam wrote:I will never pay for beach access but what i would pay for is a limitation of kiters on water.
For example - You get a small flag to tie on your harness and it will cost 5$ per hour. the number of flags will be limited and who ever doesn't have a flag can't go out and kite.
and who is the receiver of this payment and for what services? why not ask money for breathing air then?

if spot is overcrowded it regulates itself. people find another time or another spot to kite.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:20 pm

samsam wrote:I will never pay for beach access but what i would pay for is a limitation of kiters on water.
No offense SamSam but that is the worst idea that I have read! If you find that your local kite spot is to busy than go somewhere else! That would decrease the spot by one and aid in your dilemma.

James

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish torch 12m,9m,epic renegade 6m,9m,screamer 12m. ug styx, skillet

Postby pj sofine » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:06 pm

In my city residents have free access/parking.When I travel to other towns,states you have free access to public beaches, but they charge for "parking". I pay 25$ most of the beaches.Tough to walk in with all your gear ,food, booze etc.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Online kiteboard commenting, Fortnite.
Gear: World Sailing kite KOOKs. By kiters for kiters. #kitekooks

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:00 am

Unusually the seabed down to low water mark

Using historical law that no one is going to ever enforce to take advantage of people

Your under arrest for riding between the high and low water mark - yeah right. Even one word and that's harassment...!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:21 am

One way or another we all pay. It's the invisible hand. There is no free lunch.

And if not in money than maybe taxes, or decreased service or quality, or in risk to access. I think charging the user is more fair.

Kiters are a pain to other beach users. Who ever controls and maintains the land gets to make the call who pays and how much. They have expenses too. They also have goals, which may include reducing the number of kiters.

Short on cash? Ask if you could pick up trash for an hour instead.

Return to “Kitesurfing”