Forum for kitesurfers
Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Trainer kite on a paddleboard

Postby Slappysan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:35 am

Don't waste your money on the Hydra, buy a Flysurfer Peak 4 5m instead.

It costs a lot more though, and you need to buy a bar and harness but you'll need a bar and harness to eventually kiteboard anyway. Any 4 line bar will work so you can get closeouts for $200 if you look for bargains.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:23 am

Sorry,

Peak 4 is single skin kite. Its most stable kite on market and in my honest opinion it is best kite you can have on paddle board. Its very small and light to use it as needed ie. pack-unpack, ride-paddle as needed or condition allow. Optimaly used with light carbon bar- Hate normal 2kg bar with 800g kite. You can DIY that light carbon bar quite easy and cheap. There are thread here about Peak and about DIY carbon bar too.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:22 pm

Wouldn't waste time with a paddleboard personally, they are pretty difficult to ride even for an experienced kiter on normal gear since they're so huge. Fly the trainer on the beach and then get in the water with a regular kite

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Sorry i did not read purpose - if paddle board is for learning its not good idea. I was in impression it is for explore or "expedition"

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Semi Professional Master Baiter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:42 pm

a sup is a giant drag machine

remember the f one sup kite - i reckon it sold like 1 worldwide - at 70% off. Worst idea ever. It does work though - you can even lie down and go to sleep during a sup kite session.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:05 pm

Not a bad idea really, despite what some say. It will be a limited experience but fairly safe and fun for a wannabe kiter.
At least wind window, sailing angles, kite control while moving can be learned.
Performance and speed will be low.
Choose a kite you want to use for normal kiting in 30 knots. You will eventually use it for that!
Meanwhile it is a learning strategy, especially for surfer/paddler without sailing experience who wants a low impact intro. She might want to do this once, five times, or a dozen times and then it may be boring.
Beginning kiting is always that way though.

Conventional beginning with a twin tip, straps, powerful kite and stronger wind you can also achieve ACL, toe, ankle, shoulder, arm, back and neck injuries etc. Just have to go for it.

Kites Peak, cloud, uno, alpha, concept air wave, etc. could be great depending in preferences. Old Slingshot Z, or any “easy” and lightweight kite or tiny wave kite might work pretty well too.

Btonio
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 65
Local Beach: Nice - France
Favorite Beaches: Almanarre - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish 6,9,12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Btonio » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:14 pm

Hello,
It is funny to see that someone else had the exact same idea as you !

I am considering buying the next F-one Rocket air 7.6 (2021 model) and pairing it with a trainer kite / foil kite (I was thinking about the 4.2 HQ hydra but I read the comment regarding the Peak 4).

I really don't know if it can work but the idea would be to paddle upwind for 300/500 m , deploy the kite and come back even if I cannot go upwind with the kite.
If it works, I would like to consider mounting the foil under the paddleboard (as it is designed for) and try the same and hopefully riding upwind with this configuration.

Why lauching from the sea:
1/ because in many beaches here in the French Riviera it is forbidden to launch your kite on the sand.
2/ to create a new sport :)

... however I watched some videos "how to launch from a jetski", not sure it will be the same with a drifting paddle. HQ Hydra seems appropriate for water "re"lauch. Not sure it will be possible with the Peak 4.

@Ittiandro : did you finally try ? anyone else ?

Do you think it can work ? Do you think it can be fun ? Any recommandation before i loose some money ^^

Thanks a lot for your feedbacks

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:22 am

Not really been following this thread but saw that somebody was considering launching on the drift. I tried this a few years back with a very small rib and LEI. The drift rate of the rib was just too fast, I had to anchor it to launch. Paddling a SUP into wind while trying to launch may be difficult. Did not have a sea anchor to further experiment but with a SUP you might need to use your body as the sea anchor rather than sitting on the board. Others may have experience with this?

Btonio
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 65
Local Beach: Nice - France
Favorite Beaches: Almanarre - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish 6,9,12
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Btonio » Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:36 pm

Thx for your answer Herman. I think I will anchor to the 300m buoy to launch.

Any other comments regarding the feasibility of such an activity ? Do you think it is possible to SUP foil witha 4.2m² powerkite or a xxx m² Peak 4 ? (or should I buy a wing as everyone :p )

The new HQ hydra (HQ4) has just been released but I am very hesitating to buy it since I have no clue if the project can work (& be fun)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:02 pm

First of all I have not kited with a SUP and so this answer is only guesswork but I do have a lot experience with messing about on the water. There are also videos of people kiting with SUP but these are likely to be experienced kitesurfers.

If you already have most of the gear and you want a kite anyway and the weather is good then go for it but don’t underestimate the challenge. In most ways I would expect it to be more difficult than learning to kitesurf. Controlling your direction will be a subtle dance to move your weight around the board with not much power to work with, if you want to be able reach or ride into wind. Personally I would only see it as a mess about on a nice summers day as I think it would be fraught with frustrations unless the conditions, seastate, and location of eventual drift are near ideal. It would be easiest in flat water, light wind an big kite with a full set of kitesurfing skills and longboard windsurfing skills would also be useful. But I am an old sceptic and so it is essential that you get other opinions.
Last edited by Herman on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”