Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

small wave kite = storm kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

small wave kite = storm kite?

Postby nicor » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:45 pm

I've researched storm kites before without much luck so I thought I'd try throwing this out there in case anyone has a good view.

I’m currently looking to switch out my storm kite - 30-40 knots. It’s a delta style kite, but the main problem is that is inverts when there is high wind with no tension on the lines. I just don’t feel its safe from this perspective. So it has to go.

I’ve considered many types of kites but really the criteria is (in no particular order) 1) stability 2) depower 3) comfort in high winds. I’m not looking to do freestyle in these types of conditions, I will likely be surfing lake style waves.

My sense is that a wave style kite might be really good, like 5m or 6M Reo, Drifter or Dice, but not really sure if my logic is correct. The truth of the matter is we do not get these conditions very often and no local shop has demos in these sizes. As this is the case I can only go on rider reviews.

Can anyone let me know their experience with waves kites in these types of conditions?

(note: My best kite to date for these conditions was my 2011 7M C4, but I sold it with the rest of my quiver last year )

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider
Has thanked: 0

Re: small wave kite = storm kite?

Postby waynepjh » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:54 pm

I find that when the winds gets around 45 mph any kite will want to invert or seem like it when you let out to much bar. I feel the length of the lines make a difference. The longer the lines the more bow there is from the wind hitting the lines. short lines seem the way to go cause my 5 meter ozone light was dangerous with 23 meter lines and great with 20 meter. Had great sessions in 50-60mph wind. jmo

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby irwe » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:59 pm

Ocean Rodeo Storm 5 m should work.

www.oceanrodeo/products/storm

Not affliated with OR

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 pm

I have a 6m reo (2012 model so its about as powerful as a 5m 2014).

It is an awesome storm kite. HEAPS of depower at the bar. holds wads of power. 30-40 knots is a dream. I've had sessions on this kite when others have hated the conditions and I have loved it. Its so easy to fly. Way less punchy than your 7m C4 and way more depower.

It doesn't have much lift. But when you hit 35 knots... there's plenty of lift to keep you entertained. I've held 50 knot gusts with this kite!....

But the reo is only 3 strut you need to pump it HARD in the insane winds or it can fold. Personally I think a dedicated storm kite should really have 5 struts.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:44 pm

What do you mean by "storm" kite ???

You can IMO not really kite in a storm, with current kitesizes most brands offer, unless you are really heavy, or totally overpowered and survival only, if you are lucky :o

A storm kite for the average weight kitesurfer (75-80kg) should be around 2½m2 max 3 if it should be in its sweet spot on a TT :rollgrin:

Brands make small kites for waveriding mostly, and not too small, as the worldwide "market" = sale isn't there.
Becaue some live in areas where 4 and 5m2 are not used often.
Others, like here, use these sizes relatively often - as for waveriding you use a 5 and 6m2 a lot (7 being the most used size here in waves)

This leads me to believe, that when you talk about a "storm" kite, you live in an area where 5m2 is not used much ?

Remember, a storm is over 50 knots (48-55) and this is average, so the gusts are much higher !

So for me a storm kite would be a 3m2 kite maybe.
Which I dont need as I dont kite in storms...

But I've missed a 4m2 many times, as it works fine on a waveboard in just over 30knots only, but I can just manage with a 5 almost fully depowered so that is an okay compromise, eventhough overpowered :thumb:

On a TT you can hold these sizes in somewhat more wind of course.

8) Peter

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I have a 3.5m Best Kahoona which I've used during blizzards on the snow and it's a sweet kite for these conditions, handling gusts up to 60mph (I weigh 205#) and sustained 45 knot winds. It's for sale in the Second Hand section, asking $400 for kite, Best Redline Bar, pump, leash and bag. Been used a handful of times. Unfortunately when it's blowing that hard during a blizzard visibility is non existent at times, thus the need to sell it.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:03 pm

small wave kite = storm kite = shroud?

What Peter said.

Sustained high winds, if you have the skill, experience, gear and are feeling lucky are one thing. High erratic winds with major lulls, huge gusts and direction changes common to squalls and thunderstorms is quite another. You might do the former if you are setup for it in all those ways. The later is a pain in the butt at best and could mess you up but good at the worst. They have amounted to a bad last session for too many kiters over the years.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 pm

I have used a 6m Slingshot Key in 45-50knots (I'm 95kgs) and to start with I hadn't sorted the bridles out & was underpowered, after re-tuning the kite, it was v stable and manageable. Ok jumps, wave riding was just about achievable. Overall enjoyable.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:53 pm

nicor your logic is spot on. btw technically a "storm" is beaufort scale 10, 48-55 knots, which is too much wind to kite, you are talking about a "gale" which is beaufort scale 8 or 34-40 knots.

You want a kite that is stable in the air, the worst thing is for a kite to drop out of the sky during a lull then when it hits the power zone a gust powers it up and you are lucky if you don't snap a line.

it's definitely difficult to tell which kites are best in a gale, yes the kite is the same, but it's like all the worst aspect of a kite are magnified by 10 a kite which is slightly twitchy turns into a bumblebee that wants to kill you, a kite that jumps a tiny bit back and forth in the wind window becomes almost uncontrollable.

I know I have never felt any kite as smooth in a gale as the north rebel but that's not a wave kite, and besides 5 lines are not my thing. But even in high gusty winds it always felt really stable and predictable.

That's what you want, predictable. Depower is a lot less important than having a kite that is solid in the air.

I use my fuel 7m in gale conditions.

sorry never rode the drifter or dice yet so I can't comment on those brands. why not buy another c4?

wadoepotatoe
Rare Poster

Postby wadoepotatoe » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:06 am

+1 for OR's 5m Storm. Sheds gusts like mad, holds power in the lulls, super stable, and built to take some serious carnage.

-Wade.

Return to “Kitesurfing”