Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

European vs American kite culture

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: European vs American kite culture

Postby matth » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Bain wrote:
matth wrote:Most Americans I know take plenty of time off, easily 4 weeks per year, many take more and others are able to retire at ridiculously young ages(mid forties)
L0L, you must not know many people. That's a nice fairy tail existence you have there.
Bain where is this rock you live under?. UPS drivers get 5 weeks after 15 to 20 years. Many union employees get at least 4 weeks after working x amount of years. Teachers get 10 to14 weeks off . Lots of police , firemen, government employees, and private sector people retire in their 50s. And many self employed do the same. I have Lots of friends that take plenty of time off and still do very well, MAYBE YOU ARE JUST DOING SOMETHING WRONG!!
Most people who take little time off either have a poor paying job or live beyond their means, or are just super driven and just love to work and make money.
Work hard , play hard. Nothing fairytale about it smartass.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

US Customs held me at the border on the way to Hatteras because I told them I was going for three weeks which was unusual according to them. :lol:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:35 pm

so, some of you are talking about US Americans and some are talking about US Americans that kite.
Very different things here. Kiters are not the average, just by there choice of sport/free time. Very small percentage and poorly understood by much the larger majority. Sorry but true, as kiters we have become the people our parents warned us about….
the average US citizen/american can not be understood by politics or economics, only by marketing, as that is what drives the US. I know, another bubble burst. Sorry.
it is simple once it is explained:
an "american" is some one who spends money they do not have on things they do not need to impress other people they do not even like. See, simple. :D

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby soul19 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:02 am

piccio wrote:
matth wrote:I love the way everyone hates America and the American way. I guess its somewhere between jealousy and ignorance. Yes we are hard working, and proud of it. We are like lawyers , everyone hates them till they need one.
Working hard is a choice, and most people I know are happy with their way of life , we work hard and play hard. We like our toys, big houses, vacation homes, multiple cars,70" tvs , private schools, etc.
That life is not for everyone, and you can easily work less, have less, and have more time for napping. Your choice , its a free country.
Jealousy???? can you stay like us one month kiting with friends?
have you done it?
why can't you do it?
ever heard some us kiter did it?
could you do it ?
let's go together next summer 30 days looking for wind and waves!!!!!!
came on do not wait until your are retired ,withe haired in a coach!!!!
join us now!!!!
you are right! that life is not for everyone ,keep your freedom I'll go kiting!!!!!!!!!
Dear Toby ,troll sometimes!!!!! be free! release yourself! do not post your tremendous answer,they make me sleep!!!!!! move the forum!!!!!!!
Hey Piccio,

I like that challenge as it makes for a great time :thumb: The only issue is the part of imposing on others to save some money. The Canadian in me see's the beauty in a tent and 30 days of living with no required destination. Lose the whole mooching off buddies/family and do a real road trip. Camping on a secluded beach with the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and the warmth of a campfire is an amazing experience. Waking up to that first coffee and knowing that the sunrise is going to make the dawn patrol sessions the highlight of the trip absolutely Epic! . Hitting a spot that is firing and being able to stay until the wind quits or you do is what it is all about. No wind than a quick internet search to see what area is going off next is the only road map needed. No requirements to be anywhere but the ability to be everywhere is what the North American road trip is all about. It appears that you think that extended trips is an isolated thing to your neck of the woods. Extended road trips is a right of passage for most of us as is traveling to other countries.

James

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:06 am

knotwindy wrote:so, some of you are talking about US Americans and some are talking about US Americans that kite.
Very different things here. Kiters are not the average, just by there choice of sport/free time. Very small percentage and poorly understood by much the larger majority. Sorry but true, as kiters we have become the people our parents warned us about….
the average US citizen/american can not be understood by politics or economics, only by marketing, as that is what drives the US. I know, another bubble burst. Sorry.
it is simple once it is explained:
an "american" is some one who spends money they do not have on things they do not need to impress other people they do not even like. See, simple. :D
:thumb: amen to that brother :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:14 am

downunder wrote:
matth wrote:
i96dansa wrote:Here in Sweden, women are always naked so that they can cuddle the polar bears that roam freely in our cities.
However, this much is true. In general and relative Americans: We believe that violence is more dangerous than sex outside of marriage. We don't smoke pot. We do drink a lot of coffee and alcohol. We don't believe in god. We have 6 weeks of vacation per year. Universities are free of charge for everyone. We don't need health insurance because healthcare is free of charge. We pay really high taxes. We haven't mobilized our army since 1814. No city is bankrupt. Crime rates are low.
And you make Saabs and Volvos. Crazy high taxes pay for your schools and healthcare, but it is definitely NOT FREE!!!!!
Yep. As it should be.

It does not matter at all if it costs so much, because THEY can afford it. See, the southern EU can't afford it coz they taken advantage of this system. But if the auditing is working well, like it does most of the time up North, than this is a GO. If you can afford it.

What this means is a high number of Uni educated ppl - everyone can if willing to. Not so in the US, unless you can pay or get a scholarship, grants etc.

And this impacts your holidaying. Every summer my single mother and myself spent 5 weeks on a cost in a hotel when I was a kiddo. Single mother on a State owned Co. secretary salary.
This days are different. Coz of Americanism (private prim. schools, middle and Uni's, health, etc...), parents can't afford this any more. Everything is gone into a private hands, meaning dividends for a share holders (which are not many). Remember, this was the State owned before.

I think the Stock Exchange or the Shares are a cancer of societies. It is not sustainable to milk a citizens all the time with nothing in return. Watch "Wolfies of Wall St' for example:)

....agreed. And we have followed them right down the rabbit hole. The latest, the aussie government is considering deregulating university funding...the gap between the rich and the middle class and the gap between the educated and the kind of educated grows daily.

I would rather pay high taxes and have essential services that constitute a civilised modern society provided for. Capitalism was an experiment that has turned horribly wrong and put more money in the hands of the few, but ultimately that was the intention.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:31 am

Blah blah blah
Last edited by BWD on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:30 am

Hey Piccio,

I like that challenge as it makes for a great time :thumb: The only issue is the part of imposing on others to save some money. The Canadian in me see's the beauty in a tent and 30 days of living with no required destination. Lose the whole mooching off buddies/family and do a real road trip. Camping on a secluded beach with the sound of the waves crashing on the beach and the warmth of a campfire is an amazing experience. Waking up to that first coffee and knowing that the sunrise is going to make the dawn patrol sessions the highlight of the trip absolutely Epic! . Hitting a spot that is firing and being able to stay until the wind quits or you do is what it is all about. No wind than a quick internet search to see what area is going off next is the only road map needed. No requirements to be anywhere but the ability to be everywhere is what the North American road trip is all about. It appears that you think that extended trips is an isolated thing to your neck of the woods. Extended road trips is a right of passage for most of us as is traveling to other countries.

James[/quote]
everyone likes that way ,put together wishes of wife,sons,friends(kiters and not),find a good and safe place with nice weather wind waves and good foods is a "mission impossible"
camping on a tent for 30 or more days?
where is that place?
let's go togheter! will be a wonderful circus!
it is not a challenge between US and EU simply because there is only one at the start,
you cannot partecipate!!!!!! monday morning is waiting for you every week!!!!!!!!
do not misunderstand me ,do not hate US ctz. Our kiting life ,relationship and politics are two different things.
US way of living will have one result: our sons will live worse than us .
should be 50 per cent working for toys and other 50 for using the rebels!
would not have been better sink nina pinta and santa maria and send cristoforo on a horse south or east?

ooops!!!!! dear Toby why don't you make a dedicated forum section for trolling ,insulting and offending each other? opening at our own risk ,president of course Bob M.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:52 am

Piccio what is it with your continual referral to Toby? say your point hey and leave it at that.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:50 pm

It's a strange thread this.

I don't think the initial intention was an us and them thing but a genuie question.

Getting back to the original thread and without the name calling and my Dad is bigger than your Dad crap.

My point of view. Pretty much everyone is different and they will holiday how they like, when they like and for as long as they like. When your young and single its different to being married and on a carear path.

When I was younger and did not have kids It was easy to nip of and sleep in the van for a weekend and get no grief from the other half. Responsiblitys were different then.

Now I have to consider my wife and child. It's not fair to drag them to a place with nothing there other than wind and in the case of no wind nothing to do and a very grumpy Dad.

Now I look for comfort, saftey and other activitys. hotels offer some of this. I'm not a fan of all inclusive but find that most hotels and schools are in direct competition with each other in a small area. hence they are all now all inclusive or have people to launch/land your kite. As its a game of if they have we must have it.
Do I care? No not really.Am I any less of a kiter cause someone is paid to land my kite? No not really. would I not got to a spot cause they would not land my kite for me? No I could not care less.
I'm not a fan of big hotels and all inclusive but until my little one is big enough to go on more of an exploring holiday, I will have to opt for that.
As for people from different places. I have been lucky enough to travel the world and everyone I have met has generally been the same as me. There are always going to be arseholes and they will always get a lot of attention. but I would never judge a population on meeting a few people on my travels! That to me does not make any sense.
Paul

Return to “Kitesurfing”