Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chrono 15m kite review

Postby Westozzy » Sat May 03, 2014 9:01 am

s1buell_wl wrote:Tone is that the 12m? how much wind was that......

Okinawa

In regards to the connections on the ozone. Can you tell me a little more. I don't know shit about the knots or their names. So I'll need you help here. Back line connected to the bar are they "loops" or the "knots" same for the front lines "loops" or "knots"

I'm just trying to figure out if it will connect to me Edge bar I have modified 50% North and 50% Ozone.

This is my Micro loop step up:

If your really going to get into air style its a must. You can see the loop on the bar and the hook on the chicken loop. This allows you to lock the bar (auto pilot) then proceed to do some crazy tricks.
You can still use your bar regardless what's on the kite end? Just make up some pigtails, or tie a knot on your pigtails if it goes on a larks head...is that what you are asking? Just becuase the line ends don't match with the kite pigtails doesn't mean you cannot use the entire bar and lines...? Or do you mean something else altogether?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat May 03, 2014 9:08 am

Thats the 15, people were not able to go upwind very well on 12m kites. Maybe 15 knots.

RDM
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby RDM » Sat May 03, 2014 10:31 am

Tone wrote:
Thats the 15, people were not able to go upwind very well on 12m kites. Maybe 15 knots.

what board were you using .. ??

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat May 03, 2014 11:15 am

An SU2 Freestyler 136/41.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat May 03, 2014 1:40 pm

Westozzy wrote:
Tone wrote:
Okinawa Kiter wrote:
3)Chrono wind upwind by a clear mile. I don't understand how you can compare such a high AR kite against the Lotus for upwind.
AR is not the main factor especially in a foil though a factor for sure. My Peter Lynn Venom ripped upwind like no other and less AR than both of these. A more C shape foil cuts up wind better than a flatter kite but combine the C shape and high AR and equals amazing upwind ability. The flatness of the Chrono seems to drag more, but the AR makes up for it mostly. I would have to do a test size for size to be 100%. Let's just agree to disagree. :D

Err... not so sure.

If you think a PL arc which is by far one of the lowest performance kites on the market, goes upwind well compared against a high AR foil, I'd say you're wrong.

I am flying the 15 up to 18-20 knots but haven't had the wind to take it out in much more.

I hope we are going to get some decent wind here on Monday and I can see what the top end is.

FYI, this is the UK, it is cold, dense air.

A C profiled shape cuts upwind better than a flatter profiled kite. I have never found this to be the case.
Lowest performance for upwind? Have you tried one? Riiiiips up wind. I have kited at the same beach for 10+ years and always take my first tack out to see how upwind I can go so I can get out of the way of other kiters. Been doing this on the PL, FS, Chrono and probably a dozen different inflate brands so can pretty fairly compare. Anyways the Chrono does everything well, which is a hard thing to do as you know you usually have to give up something to get something.
Last edited by Okinawa Kiter on Sat May 03, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Okinawa Kiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Favorite Beaches: Mibaru Okinawa Japan
Miyako
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 12m

Postby Okinawa Kiter » Sat May 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Tone wrote:
Hey Tone, what's the wind range on your 15 Chrono? Your weight? My 18 I have had it in 16 knots and maybe 1/3 depowered with bar mid way, so think "comfortably" I could ride up to 20 knots. Then it's getting pretty powered. I'm 103kg.

Thinking of a 12 Chrono and wonder if it will take me up to 30 knots.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat May 03, 2014 4:16 pm

Okinawa Kiter wrote:
Tone wrote:
Hey Tone, what's the wind range on your 15 Chrono? Your weight? My 18 I have had it in 16 knots and maybe 1/3 depowered with bar mid way, so think "comfortably" I could ride up to 20 knots. Then it's getting pretty powered. I'm 103kg.

Thinking of a 12 Chrono and wonder if it will take me up to 30 knots.
5-7 knots on the raceboard.

Not found the top end yet but been out in 20 knots and it was fine. Am yet to touch the trimmer.

I'd imagine the 12 in 30 knots would be fine BUT, launching it in 30 knots would be errr.."fun".

Just got back from the beach, 7-10 knots for 40 mins. Out blasting around on the raceboard. 26 knot VMAX :)

It's a cracking kite :)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat May 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Tone wrote:
ronnie wrote:

What if you wait to relaunch and the wind doesn't pick up soon enough?
With foils being the kings of the lightest wind and therefore being used close to unrelaunchable winds, I'm surprised we don't hear much about swims in with foils.
Is it a very rare occurrence?
The expletives start about 2:30
That whole vid is a terrible advert for a foil, the guy should not have been on it, he doesn't understand how it flies.
I'm with Tone on this one.
I learned on foils 10 years ago ; still have most my quiver of Venom's for the land-buggy.

I am Real surprised that Nobody noticed this, but at Exactly 2:30 , when the kite
was at near zenith and hardly moving from looking at the lines ...
He has the bar pulled IN !!! about 1/2 !!!

That is a Big-time No-no with a foil ; you Must Always keep them moving, in light
wind, or it will fall out of the sky , (ask ANY San Diego kiter) the answer will be the same
KEEP THE KITE MOVING in a nice figure-8 pattern, and do NOT sheet in (.) Actually
even More than , (Don't sheet-In), Ya sometimes want to grab the front-lines and
give them a small Tug, to get more speed in the kite.

Anyone who is deterred from purchasing this kite based on that video, is a
bit ignorant on how and why they work. I said ignorant and Not stupid, so please
don't get offended.

Bille

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun May 04, 2014 4:04 pm

I don't think that was it, B. It's not a back-stall... my guess: he sheets out during the jump so the kite shoots to the edge of the window. He's on a race board so it's light wind and he's probably heading upwind at a good angle, so the kite just shoots too far upwind and front stalls.

It's my opinion you're much better off back-stalling a bridled foil than front stalling, especially in light wind. Tension in the steering lines is important to rein it in... keep it away from the edge of the window.

The Captain
Frequent Poster

Postby The Captain » Sun May 04, 2014 5:43 pm

Not only that...the guy is sitting in the water with ZERO tension on the lines. No f-ing wonder he couldn't relaunch. No kite will relaunch in asituation like that. Maybe a current in combo with a wind drop...whatever, but you can't relaunch a kite with, in effect, no string attached.

My personal experience...foils do get screwed up on rare occasion, and when they do it is usually quite a spectacle. But, the majority of the time my foils are usually back in the air before I know it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”