Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Surboards with a Mako (OR) bottom.

Forum for kitesurfers
kazi
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Surboards with a Mako (OR) bottom.

Postby kazi » Mon May 12, 2014 4:40 pm

I got out twice on Saturday in pretty light winds with a 15m Envy and my Firewire Dominator and had to really work to manage the chop soupy conditions. The swell was about 4-5 feet. Started kiting directionals and strapless for the first time this year.

I had to really control the speed and coundn't cut loose or I would hit a piece of chop and go flying. I felt like I was bouncing around like a cork.

I've heard that OR Mako's handle chop really well because of the extreme concave.
Is there a reason why they don't apply the same bottom to a surfboard?
Are there surfboards that handle chop better, does anyone care?

Surfers don't care about chop because (with the exception of big wave surfing) the wave face is relatively smooth.

I'm just surprised there isn't a market for kite specific chop handling surfboards. Even ocean rodeo appears to just make a regular surfboard. I'd love to shred a wave then slice thru chop..that would be sweet.

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Surboards with a Mako (OR) bottom.

Postby coleman » Mon May 12, 2014 5:00 pm

I ride a north nugget and they excel in our lake chop. Better than my twin tips.

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Mon May 12, 2014 5:02 pm

coleman wrote:I ride a north nugget and they excel in our lake chop. Better than my twin tips.
What do you think allows them to do this. Is it the amount of concave? Have you compared the concave of the nugget to a regular surfboard? Is there a difference?

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Mon May 12, 2014 5:12 pm

kazi wrote: I'd love to shred a wave then slice thru chop..that would be sweet.
You can shred on a mako...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Spitfire Foil / GoFoil / Ozone wings
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon May 12, 2014 5:26 pm

I have a BWS Drifter and it has aggressive concave, like a Mako. Goes upwind like crazy.

viewtopic.php?t=2382815&p=834455

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Mon May 12, 2014 5:51 pm

NYKiter wrote:
kazi wrote: I'd love to shred a wave then slice thru chop..that would be sweet.
You can shred on a mako...
I plan to get a mako king some day when I can afford it. Right now I have to limit it to one board for surfing and kiting.

I'm glad to hear about the BWS. I'd like to try that.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon May 12, 2014 7:38 pm

kazi wrote:
coleman wrote:I ride a north nugget and they excel in our lake chop. Better than my twin tips.
What do you think allows them to do this. Is it the amount of concave? Have you compared the concave of the nugget to a regular surfboard? Is there a difference?
Actually having less concave will help you more break through chop since the board will produce less lift. Or are you thinking concave is rocker?

Usually boards that do well through chop have less buoyancy in relation to weight since that will make the board not want to float on top of the water so much.

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Mon May 12, 2014 8:34 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
kazi wrote:
Actually having less concave will help you more break through chop since the board will produce less lift. Or are you thinking concave is rocker?

Usually boards that do well through chop have less buoyancy in relation to weight since that will make the board not want to float on top of the water so much.
I think both concave and rocker help in chop as they reduce the surface area touching the water as well as the angle of attack.

I'm just a caveman..and don't know much about numbers and what not, but it seems to me that what makes the mako have such great chop killing attributes is it's concave. But maybe the super thin rails also assist.

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Mon May 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Do not forget the oval outline.

There are other twintips with rocker.
There are other twintips with concave (not as much)..

The result of the three is that the force/load of the piece of chop is gradually absorbed by the board..

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue May 13, 2014 12:30 am

I found the mako smooth but harsh in shop. It sliced through but could still be slappy. The huge rocker of the mako i think is a little counter productive when considering chop. The reason for this is that huge concave reduces flex. Flex is one factor that improves chop performance.

Rocker is what you want to look for and flexible tips. A high rocker board with flexible tips will be way better in chop. This is talking twin tips..... But the same process would occur with surfboards. a higher rocker surfboard will be better than a flatter rocker board. I remember seeing an underground surfboard that was made like a TT ie thin wood core with some surf rails laminated on. That style of board would be better for chop.

Of course the more rocker and tip flex you add the worse the board will be upwind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”