Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach/Clearwater, Florida
Style: wave
Gear: Surfboards, Airush Wave kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Surboards with a Mako (OR) bottom.

Postby heemskn » Tue May 13, 2014 2:36 am

I think one reason why the original Mako (pre 2008) did well in chop was that it was very narrow (34x150). Newer versions are 40 cm wide.

Patri seems to ride something like the OP had in mind; narrow and with plenty of concave.
Attachments
Patri.png
Patri.png (287.58 KiB) Viewed 1011 times

GregK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Postby GregK » Tue May 13, 2014 6:13 am

kazi wrote: Right now I have to limit it to one board for surfing and kiting.
Unless you're tow surfing, the size of surfboard needed for paddle surfing will always ride kinda bouncy on wind chop, but once you're on a decent face and you want to ride waves rather than the kite, you'll want and need that surfboard size again.

The more you ride your surfboard board strapless in wind-chop the easier it gets - pick your line and enjoy the tight tracking from that surfboard tail and fin area, carve around the chop or use it to boost some strapless airs.

Ocean Rodeo did make a Mako Surf model back around 2008 but to support the deep 18 mm concave it needed a ballistic lay-up, making the board heavy and stiff. Area-wise it was small ( 170 x 42 cm or 5'7" x 16.5" ) - too small for strapless & using the power of the wave, and too heavy for strapped kite-powered slashing.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby robertovillate » Tue May 13, 2014 6:32 am

kazi wrote:I got out twice on Saturday in pretty light winds with a 15m Envy and my Firewire Dominator and had to really work to manage the chop soupy conditions. The swell was about 4-5 feet. Started kiting directionals and strapless for the first time this year.

I had to really control the speed and couldn't cut loose or I would hit a piece of chop and go flying. I felt like I was bouncing around like a cork.
It's not clear which size Dominator you have (nor how heavy you are) , but in either case that is a pretty high volume board and is very wide, so I imagine it was a bumpy ride.

I have the 5-11 Firewire Taj (now called the PRO File) is much lower volume, fair amount of nose and tail rocker, much narrower, low volume in the tip & tail, and has a subtle concave in it. It handles the chop very well. I use it when its big and windy (which usually spells some chop at some point). I am 160# and I like to be well powered up with this board. It needs a good amount of power.

I hear a lot of happy stories about the Mako, and there's nothing wrong with giving one of these a lash. But honestly I do not think the ride will be as nice as the right surfboard in waves...and I reckon that just boils down to a matter of personal taste...but the right surfboard in waves is a very good thing.

You've really just gotten your ears wet with strapless riding and it will take a little while to understand your own personal preferences with surfboards, and its hard to try a lot of different boards in all the various conditions....so this is just part of the evolution of being a kite "surfer"...finding the right board that fits you and the conditions. Some of my surfing friends have 20+ boards and love them all in different conditions...so it can become a little obsessive.

good luck and keep at it

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue May 13, 2014 6:41 am

Pretty use you can still get the Mako mini - the 140 and bigger are 40 plus wide, the 135 is erm not.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3.7m to 10.4m Cloud kites
Cloud 9 S24 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard

Postby tswierkocki » Tue May 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Check out this link on concaves and fast boards:

http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/view ... ?f=9&t=942

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Tue May 13, 2014 5:41 pm

the Dominator you are using is probably one of the worst boards for chop. the volume is part of it, but mostly because it has a dead-flat bottom without any contours. I also find the firewire boards to feel a bit corkey when I surf them. I think translated to kiting that would add to it bouncing you around.

you don't need to go for anything as extreme (or kooky) as a mako.
just get basically any other surfboard with moderate bottom contours. just get a regular shortboard shape. there is a reason they all look so similar - because it works!
no need to go to extremes if you're just a joe average kiter. especially no need to jump from one extreme (flat bottom) to the far other.

when you (paddle) surf, you do deal with chop. it actually effects you more. while a glassy face is the ideal, it's also not the norm for a lot of waves. surfboards are shaped to handle this.

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue May 13, 2014 6:27 pm

kazi wrote: I'm just surprised there isn't a market for kite specific chop handling surfboards.
My chop killer is my North Kontact 2010.....5'9" long...16 7/8" wide...1 3/4" thick...rides like it's on rails
Slight single concave....pintail...3 fins
Can ride it with a 17m2 Core Riot XR3 in 12 kn up to 22 kn of wind and the craziest chop surf waters
:D

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue May 13, 2014 6:37 pm

kazi wrote:
coleman wrote:I ride a north nugget and they excel in our lake chop. Better than my twin tips.
What do you think allows them to do this. Is it the amount of concave? Have you compared the concave of the nugget to a regular surfboard? Is there a difference?
I have the Nugget 2013
The major concave is in the lower half of the board and is double..@ 3-4mm i would estimate
I ride strapped and believe that having back foot so close to tail kills the bounce..the board just rips
:D

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Tue May 13, 2014 6:46 pm

firewire vanguard concave reminded me of a mako king, mako king had to much rocker for me though, vanguard is flatter

kazi
Medium Poster

Postby kazi » Tue May 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. :)
I learned allot from this thread.

I'm really enjoying the challenge of learning to ride strapless. I just need to understand what my limitations are and what conditions are best and that will take some time.

I definitely hope the time spent riding strapless will improve my surfing (non-kiting) in certain areas.

Return to “Kitesurfing”