Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Something unusual has happened.

Postby plummet » Wed May 14, 2014 3:34 am

I haven't been kiting much lately. A combination of autumn fickle winds and when there is wind not being available to kite due to other commitments...

The unusual thing is that it hasn't bothered me.

I have simply picked up on my non wind related sports and enjoyed the hell out of them.

Previous years I have been like a junky wanting foresake all other activities to kite and getting all pissed off and jittery when I miss my kiting buzz.

Has my love for kiting deminished? Have I progressed to a level where the progression/enjoyement is less? Or have I evolved my emotional intelligence to accept the things i cannot change and adapt to alternative enjoyment possibilities the weather provides?

I suspect its a combination all of the above factors.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Re: Something unusual has happened.

Postby jespin4845 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:10 am

Blasphemy

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Wed May 14, 2014 4:18 am

Kiting is an addictive drug. I am addicted. I am in a similar boat now - fickle winds and obligations. Circumstances have dictated I can't have my drug now. A chemical addict just needs money and the drug can be had. Sneak into a closet and sniff away. Kiters need a set of circumstances to come together, wind and time. You throw the family and your job in there and sessions become rare or much less than you want.

I've got buddies who are single, no kids, good jobs and they've got 5 trips to Hatteras set up this year. If you've got a family who needs you and you value them then you must give up a fair amount of sessions. That is saying "No" to the drug.

You have achieved a perspective that is giving you balance. You have been forced to consider balance. The real test will be when you get a couple sessions in a row and get that buzz again.

I have no answers - I am still fighting this balance everyday :duel:

Shoe
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Champlain
Gear: RRD Obsession 13.5
RRD Obsession 9.5
RRD Emotion 10
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Shoe » Wed May 14, 2014 4:38 am

Perfect Mark! So when does your support group meet? I want in...

Cheers!

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Wed May 14, 2014 4:54 am

It meets in Cape Cod during summer afternoon SW thermals...

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Wed May 14, 2014 7:48 am

have you been kitesurfing for 7 years? Humans are programmed to be less interested in things after that period of time?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed May 14, 2014 7:53 am

markchatwin wrote:Kiting is an addictive drug. I am addicted. I am in a similar boat now - fickle winds and obligations. Circumstances have dictated I can't have my drug now. A chemical addict just needs money and the drug can be had. Sneak into a closet and sniff away. Kiters need a set of circumstances to come together, wind and time. You throw the family and your job in there and sessions become rare or much less than you want.

I've got buddies who are single, no kids, good jobs and they've got 5 trips to Hatteras set up this year. If you've got a family who needs you and you value them then you must give up a fair amount of sessions. That is saying "No" to the drug.

You have achieved a perspective that is giving you balance. You have been forced to consider balance. The real test will be when you get a couple sessions in a row and get that buzz again.

I have no answers - I am still fighting this balance everyday :duel:
Yes I think you are right. But I have been getting my fix in other ways.... So I am not without the adrenaline and endorphins. I have recently got a new mountain bike and have had some epic mountain biking sessions. That has saved me from going postal worker.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 am

fdvj wrote:have you been kitesurfing for 7 years? Humans are programmed to be less interested in things after that period of time?
9 years kiting

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed May 14, 2014 8:11 am

Heresy
Last edited by tautologies on Wed May 14, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Faber
Frequent Poster

Postby Faber » Wed May 14, 2014 9:07 am

I think the more you get skilled the higher the expectation you have in terms of wind and waves.
When you live in a country ( like mine ) which is not Hawaii, then it's probably "normal" to pass it away to another sport or just take care of your family ( it's a technique to earn bonus with my wife.. :lol: )
Recently I've started again windsurfing with huge sails when the wind it's below 16 knts.
:bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”