Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Dice 2014 10m issue

Postby John-B » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:25 pm

marlboroughman wrote:I just repaired canopy on Ozone edge later today I will be replacing cylinder gasket on my 83 bike I own 4 bikes all over 30yrs. I actually go kiting on my bike. Again do we have something in common? something we can talk about?
Maybe that's the problem as most people go kiting on a board?

Today after working nine to five in a hospital in a job that is patient facing (I'm not a clinician), with people living with a chronic stigmatising condition in Glasgow Scotland (if not too myopic you can Google it and see that it is a tough working class city).

I drove our only car, a small diesel hatchback to pick up my wife from her 9 to 5, before going to my mother in-laws to pick up my two year old. I got home walked my dog with the two year old and looked for slugs and snails.

I made the evening meal - as I always do because I shop and cook - before putting the first coat of a tanking membrane on the new shower enclosure I'm having to repair. The builder thought it would be a good idea to but plasterboard down to the shower tray, tile over and seal - so due to water damage I've had to rip it all out, reline and replace.

Tomorrow I'll get up at 5:30, exercise as I get a bit of time to myself and repeat pretty much the day I've just had.

I have no motorbikes, I like bridled kites and as you can tell live a charmed yuppie life so no, thankfully we have nothing to talk about!

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:25 am

Who cares that you like bridled kites you can keep them. I never pay more than $600 for my kites and bikes thanks to all the yuppies. I fix them or make them work after work while putting my daughter through medical school. The things people describe about this kite make me believe that the front tube is too tapered towards the wings and the bridle kinks it. This kite would work perfectly on five lines but why do I care, more people dump them the cheaper I will get them. Sometimes I buy kites for $100 sometimes I even get damaged kites for free. I fix them and donate them to Cuban riders. One Cuban guy build himself a house with kite lessons over three years that I know him. I taught him how to kite and gave him equipment. Another Cuban is doing plumbing with my tools and yet another one builds houses with my tools. This is what I am about something from nothing but make no mistake I know my shit and I enjoy talking to the people who know their shit. I prefer talking to people who build houses than to those who sell them. I went to business school but I prefer doing stuff than to talk about.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:05 am

I too have a lot of very strong beliefs and I live by none of them :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:22 am

marlboroughman wrote:Who cares that you like bridled kites you can keep them. I never pay more than $600 for my kites and bikes thanks to all the yuppies. I fix them or make them work after work while putting my daughter through medical school. The things people describe about this kite make me believe that the front tube is too tapered towards the wings and the bridle kinks it. This kite would work perfectly on five lines but why do I care, more people dump them the cheaper I will get them. Sometimes I buy kites for $100 sometimes I even get damaged kites for free. I fix them and donate them to Cuban riders. One Cuban guy build himself a house with kite lessons over three years that I know him. I taught him how to kite and gave him equipment. Another Cuban is doing plumbing with my tools and yet another one builds houses with my tools. This is what I am about something from nothing but make no mistake I know my shit and I enjoy talking to the people who know their shit. I prefer talking to people who build houses than to those who sell them. I went to business school but I prefer doing stuff than to talk about.

Honourable contribution you make to the Cuban riders mr M.

Let us know how that edge goes you were fixing with no bridles and a fifth line :D

Over just been told by someone in the know who is taking preorders that the new dice has had some minor bridal changes with a better bottom end. Bottom end was fine as far as I am concerned if flown as it should be. And yet all 5 of us have no intention of upgrading just yet, the current ones we have always put a smile on our dials. I'd be riding one before you predict the over wing tapering...although for a balanced reply, there could very well be some truth in that, exposed at it's very top end. Then again you won't know until you've flown it really and watched and felt it in the sky. Their will be no dumping of this kite as you said from where we sit. Hence you may be waiting a while... :D

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:24 am

got it fixed and it held up.
kite still does funky wingtip thing, but was very gusty and probably too windy for 10m.
but, no leak,.. thanx "me"!
back to being stoked.
What's our next topic?
:D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:40 am

Great to hear mate. I totally get your frustration.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:34 pm

Westozzy wrote: Let us know how that edge goes you were fixing with no bridles and a fifth line :D
This is what I don't get about you, for a moment I think maybe you know something and then shit like that follows, it's almost schizophrenic.
Westozzy wrote:
Their will be no dumping of this kite as you said from where we sit. Hence you may be waiting a while... :D
It's already happening. But you seemed to be picking them like free apples from abandoned orchard so your opinions are not really worth much for someone who needs to keep stuff for a while.

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North

Postby BigPaul » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:07 pm

Ok so just been out on a mates 12m EVO and a completely different experience. I got that North buzz from this kite. It did as I asked and I had a great time. My conclusion again is that the Dice I used has got to have been made on a Friday at 5pm ;)

Still loving my whip.

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:58 am

leaking again.
son of a....
aargh...
:(

rjh
Rare Poster

Postby rjh » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi
I have been having issues with my 7 & 9 Dice with what I call lazy wing tips. They are not engaged when the kite its on setup, the tips just flap around aimlessly. When the bar is pulled in to power the kite the canopy looks nice a taught as it should do...all the time. But when the kite is de-powered the tips flap around and cause the kite to be rather slack in response to steering input, and flaps about through the gusts.

I have read through the notes here on other Dice issues and find some useful replies, the best and most accurate was to wash and stretch the bridle!! What? I had a bit of trouble understanding how it could have shrunk! Stretch, yes for sure.

I removed the pulley line, measured all other bridles whilst still attached to the kite.
I suspect North will have a tolerance on line lengths and within reason expect this to be 5.0mm

The main bridle line which the pulley rides on is at fault. Luckily North have put tags with the measurements on the whole bridle system. All the smaller bridle lines were as measured and at factory settings, but the larger bridle was near on 40mm shorter than the stated dimension attached to the bridle.
I managed to stretch out about 15mm whilst it was dry and then decided to soak both bridles in plain hot water and achieved another 15mm. The end result is the bridle is still 10mm of stock measured length.

The effect the bridle has on the wing tips is very important. The pulley will find its natural position on the pulley line, this is a set distance as per design requirements. Now if the line has shrunk this will effect the tips. The distance from the pulley to the wing tip is a set distance and cannot be changed by expecting the pulley to re-adjust its position on the pulley line, this distance has now been made effectively shorter , pulling the wing tip inwards.

I suspect the pulley line will shrink again in hot dry condition, which is uncommon here in north wales, but none the less i reckon it will. So, the fix is to make a new attachment pig tail at the leading edge with a moveable knot, measure up and set it to the distance required to gain the factory set length as per kite size bridle.

I suspect north have not used the best quality of Dyneema.

Return to “Kitesurfing”