Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Dice 2014 10m issue

Postby FabsPH » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:35 am

I know what's up with my kite:
It's a (very slow) leak. As I said in other posts.
Where the leak is, is still to be discovered.
But the strange kite behavior is due to a floppy kite.
And 6 psi is NOT enough, that's for sure.
In any case, I guess we all have leaky kites.
I fly in the worlds most gusty spot, and when it's all hard and dandy (the kite),
all is great, kite performs, but soon the kite does odd stuff, but continued doing that.
The odd thing is, it will not get worse, just stops leaking I guess. How? who the f knows.

The hunt for leak continues
PS: how come North does not chime in?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:13 pm

It is very possible that a very small leak could occur a high pressure then seal back up when the pressure drops.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:49 pm

it's a North…check the new valve, they are a PITA and seem to have that problem a lot here. Every place is different but most people here do not like them.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Have used the NEW North valve w 3 diff North kites over 10 sessions on Sandy beach with no leaks or probs. to report. After using these fast inflate valves on the Norths and the Edge 19 you couldn't Run fast enough for me to go back to the Little puny inflate valves. :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :desperado: :desperado:

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:53 pm

FabsPH-

I have already chimed in 2 or 3 times on this post. I'm not sure what issue remains that you'd like me to address.

I have also chimed in on your leaking bladder many times before, in private messages and in public. You responded once, but have not responded since then. As I told you in the latest PM to which you did not respond, "Regardless, if you're having a problem with a leak on a new bladder it is almost certainly a warranty issue and I'm assuming you've worked with your dealer to sort it out. If you have not done so or you need assistance with this please let me know."

That offer still stands. I'm really sorry that you have a bladder in your brand new kite that leaks. It happens sometimes, regardless of the brand, year, or model. Unless there's some weird extenuating circumstance, we have always replaced those bladders. I have no idea why you still have a leaking bladder so many months after you purchased the kite. If working with your dealer has not worked out for you for any reason, please contact me directly so I can solve your issue.

Knotwindy-
We've sold tens of thousands of kites with the new valves, and I have seen a total of 7 needing warranty. 4 of them were from an early batch and the inner valve randomly fell off, and we replaced those immediately. The remaining 3 were from someone forcing the valve to twist past the normal 'open' or 'closed' position, and they cracked the valve (one of them did it right in front of me, and I watched the veins stand out on his arm as he forced the valve past where it should twist. It's not easy to do). Though I don't consider this to be normal warranty, we've still replaced those broken valves. I work closely with the guys at Airtime, who design their own bladders, plus service every other brand's bladders many times over, and they tell me that they think the North valve is the best designed one they've seen. I won't say it's perfect, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' valve at this point, but I stand behind our new valve and think it's a solid, well designed product.

To anyone else with any issues at all. Work with your dealer on them. If that doesn't work for any reason, feel free to contact me and I'll do whatever I can to help you out.

-Dan

FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground

Postby FabsPH » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 am

Dan-at-North wrote:FabsPH-

I have already chimed in 2 or 3 times on this post. I'm not sure what issue remains that you'd like me to address.

I have also chimed in on your leaking bladder many times before, in private messages and in public. You responded once, but have not responded since then. As I told you in the latest PM to which you did not respond, "Regardless, if you're having a problem with a leak on a new bladder it is almost certainly a warranty issue and I'm assuming you've worked with your dealer to sort it out. If you have not done so or you need assistance with this please let me know."

That offer still stands. I'm really sorry that you have a bladder in your brand new kite that leaks. It happens sometimes, regardless of the brand, year, or model. Unless there's some weird extenuating circumstance, we have always replaced those bladders. I have no idea why you still have a leaking bladder so many months after you purchased the kite. If working with your dealer has not worked out for you for any reason, please contact me directly so I can solve your issue.

-Dan
thnax dan
And, I found the leak: The deflate valve.
The way they put it on, guessing heat or sonic, it burned a tiny hole next to the valve stem/flange
stupid
I glued and sticky patched it. Will see if it holds. Didn't test it yet. Was lucky and able to pull bladder out at tip.
Should be warranty. Just have no time to leave it at shop.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:22 am

Westozzy wrote:We get the same onshore gusty frontal winds for 4 months of the year.

Look I get your position regarding five lines, no bridles, etc etc

But mate your position seems extremely simplified. No pulleys, no bridles, five lines is best.

Yet companies like north, cabrihna, airush, naish have been developing wings, bars, bridles etc etc for years, with large R and D input both in money and man hours and the best riders in the world to test these developments...in all disciplines of kiting.

This whole 'these large companies are forgetting, don't care, bla bla bla' is just utter bullshit. The industry is still so small they al want to produce the best product available.

Then we start bashing the strong canopy material they use...like we know what the f*** we are talking about!

Just ride, if ya don't like it, move on but don't claim to have the edge on design, construction, wing dynamics, production marketing...etc etc

It's all talk and no walk, some others have built successful international companies for a reason. Not us.

Static bridles, pulleys, double rip stop, no bridals, fifth lines...high Y, low Y, single line, double flag rararararara..bla bla

It all depends on the particular kite...there is not one hard and fast rule. You ride enough kite over enough years you get that.

It all depends...and yet here we have yet again a post on kite were all the fucken experts are trying to make out there is something inherently wrong with the dice.

There isn't, move on if ya don't like it.
Amen :thumb:

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:42 pm

My posts are not addressed to people that solve all their problems with pulling credit card. I see a lot of yuppies credit card kiters and a lot of credit card bikers ( I ride 31 yr old bike) we have nothing in common and nothing to talk about.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:55 pm

marlboroughman wrote:My posts are not addressed to people that solve all their problems with pulling credit card. I see a lot of yuppies credit card kiters and a lot of credit card bikers ( I ride 31 yr old bike) we have nothing in common and nothing to talk about.
:roll:

Again you assume far too much with very little actual knowledge.

Your level of ignorance is glossed by the pretence that you have actual experience of the actual things you are commenting on?

We do in fact have nothing to talk about but not because of your gross misaligned assumptions. It is merely the fact that talking and communication is a two way process and with you it clearly one-way as you are far too obstinate in your beliefs about kite design to entertain that the other (yuppie) person might actually know what they are talking about.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:14 pm

I just repaired canopy on Ozone edge later today I will be replacing cylinder gasket on my 83 bike I own 4 bikes all over 30yrs. I actually go kiting on my bike. Again do we have something in common? something we can talk about?

Return to “Kitesurfing”