No Idea
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

North Dice 2014 10m issue

Postby No Idea » Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 am

Hi Folks

Hoping for some advice on how to overcome an issue with my North 10m Dice.

When the wind is about 17 knots and above and the kite is loaded up eg edging hard, or trying jump hooked in, the wing tips seem to distort and flutter. Trying to boost while hooked in is almost impossible as the kite distorts spilling any sort of power. The best way to describe it as if the kite is under inflated. The distortion seems to occur from the back line attachment to the bridle attachment of the front line that is closest to the wingtip. Hopefully that makes sense. People I kite with have noticed it occurring when on the beach watching.

To give you some background:
-Kite is inflated to 8psi (have even gone 10psi) and holds its pressure.
-Flying it on a 4 line bar. 24m length lines.
-All lines are at equal length (yes, has been checked)
-Kite still distorts when when fully sheeted in or trimmed right out
-Kite is not over sheeted
-Kite is set up on the rear attachment point for the rear lines, that is, least amount of bar pressure

I have been kiting for over 12 years and have mainly been on Slingshot Fuels but have also had Slingshot RPMs and Revs. I predominantly ride unhooked and would consider myself an advanced rider. I also love to boost as high as I can when the wind is really on but so far it has been impossible on the Dice. I also ride surfboards as well.

The only thing I can think of trying is removing the front leader line and the subsequent short front lines (whole "Y" bridle) and replacing it with 2 new 24m front lines in an attempt to reduce pulling of the tips in in.

Has any one else had a similar issue or any idea how to overcome this issue?

Cheers
Last edited by No Idea on Tue May 27, 2014 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mkNY
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tobay Beach, Oak Beach, Gilgo Beach
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne - Mauritius, Kite Beach - DR, Silver Sands - Barbados, Cape Hatteras - NC, Long Bay Beach - T&C
Style: Freeride\BigAir
Gear: 2020 Duotone Rebel 7/9/12
Shinn Bronq
Ride Engine
Woooooo

Re: North Dice 2014 10m issue

Postby mkNY » Fri May 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Something has to be off with your lines? Also what do you weigh?

I've had my 9M Dice out in over 30knts and never had a problem with any canopy distortions. Quite the opposite this kite has a solid top end and boosts great starting in the mid 20s.

I only weigh 70kg though and have read about heavier riders experiencing similar issues.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Fri May 23, 2014 12:17 pm

Yeh I have the same experience as mkNY. I have a 10m and it is pure joy at 17 - 25knots. Above that it has handled the gusts fine but it's time to size down. I notice the sides of the canopy to the wingtips (along the LE) moving and reacting to the wind. Also reacting from input from the bar but no caving in making the jump impossible or stunted. I've loaded it up for jumps and it sends me fine. I'm 75kg BTW... I hate to say it but if at all possible have a friend on the beach take a close up video of the kite and post it here. Since your lines are correct and let's assume the kite is not a factory defected one I'm not sure that altering the Y is the answer. I think the answer lies in getting the video posted...

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri May 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Mate have you had your kite rinsed through the surf at all? Maybe the canopy has been stretched?

Just got out the water, storm front gusting 25 to 30 plus on the 9m at 74kg, mate at 90kg on same sized dice, not a problem? Real gusty shit, big scary nearly uncontrolled jumps in 3m swell (the gusts were so short and powerful there were those strange layers of unpredictably in the air).

That's all I can think of. Has anyone else been on your kite to see if they notice the same thing??

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri May 23, 2014 3:57 pm

measure the bridles and see if any has shrunk. it's a common issue with North kites. If they shrunk it's easy to get them back to normal by washing in warm water and soap. Don't believe me? Try it.

Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10

Postby Michelks » Sat May 24, 2014 2:15 am

My dice 10 sometimes flutters a lot in gust conditions of 20/25 knots, and sometimes it doesnt happen at all.
Since I never change the set up, I think that the wind/air temperure makes lots of difference in the pressure the kite can support before fluttering.
i live in Rio and during summer we have always 35+ celsius temperature, and water temperature most days at 24c and sometimes 18c, these 18 c days of water temperature, are the days the 10 flutters a lot and feels overpowered in 20/25 knots. With my dice 12 it never happened.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Sat May 24, 2014 3:08 am

Michelka - the OP has said that flutter is ruining his sessions. Is fluttering ruining your sessions? Keeping you from loading and jumping? Or is it just fluttering not causing a problem?

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat May 24, 2014 4:13 am

I don't own this kite but it sounds like a bridle issue. I would try set it up on five lines since it is design for both anyway. To get most out of any kite I use simple five line set up without any Y's.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat May 24, 2014 8:20 am

What do you mean with no Y man? A low Y at least I presume? Also can you explain what the fifth line gives you being not loaded? Does it provide more stability is that it?

Michelks
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sao Sebastiao- Brazil
Favorite Beaches: tahiti, buzios
Style: freerider
Gear: crossbow 16, vegas 14,switchblade 12, crossbow 10

Postby Michelks » Sat May 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Markchatwin, it ruined my session twice, couldn't jump or do anything,
When gust comes the kite goes to the front of the window ,flutters and you loose bar pressure.
When you load and send the kite for a jump it happens again. The more I depowered the kite the worse it was.
Two guys on Dices 9 had a perfect session at the same time.
Maybe its a issue of size 10 for this cold air weather condition, I had around 30 sessions with this kite and the kite was smooth on gusts and jumped really well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”