Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Saudi Arabia, kiting on the south west coast?

Forum for kitesurfers
Skele
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Eleveight
Has thanked: 0

Saudi Arabia, kiting on the south west coast?

Postby Skele » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Hi all,

Going on a work related trip to Jazan, Saudi arabia for two months in July. The exact location is on the southwest coast: https://goo.gl/maps/4Wf3F

Planning to carry my kit along. I´ve been kiting in Eqypt, on the Red Sea but if anyone has any info on the conditions around there (typical wind speed, consistency) or if there are any other kiters around. Found a Saudi Arabia kiting community group on facebook but it seemed deserted. Any info is appreciated!

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Saudi Arabia, kiting on the south west coast?

Postby yojimbo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:05 pm

Skele
Rare Poster

Postby Skele » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:13 am

Thanks for the links yojimbo! Looks promising indeed. Windguru statistics looked good too for last summer. Only thing im slightly concerned is the safety situation near the Yemen border. Don't have any kiting mates to go along with so I'll be kiting solo... I've heard about scuba/snorkeling trips there, so maybe I can go to one of these trips and bring my kit along.

Skele
Rare Poster

Postby Skele » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:58 am

Here´s an update form Saudi Arabia and info for any kiters possibly ending up around here.

So far so good, nice western thermal winds kick in pretty much every day before noon and last until sunset. Wrote up some info up here:

http://locations.splocs.com/kitesurf/lo ... _City.html

Only hazards are the locals and the coast guard (shut me down on one of the best days so far for no reason.Bring your passport). Steer clear of any families, swimmers and crowds and you´ll be okay. Locals start arriving to the beach at 16.00-17.00. Oh, and massive sandstorm with rough lighting can show up quickly so observe the horizon. Beach itself is dirty as hell (full of plastic bottles etc, the Saudis don´t seem to care...) but the water is fine.
Attachments
vlcsnap-2014-10-08-16h40m21s97.png

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf
Been thanked: 0

Postby yojimbo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:06 am

This is so awesome, glad you came back with an update. Great that you are breaking new ground. How long for you to get to the beach? Are the woman in full burquas?, or are they more westernized there? You said they surround you when you come in, are they chill or aggressive?

Too bad about the coast guard though.

Skele
Rare Poster

Postby Skele » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 pm

Big thanks yojimbo for the initial tips! The wind consistensy is like nothing I´ve seen before.

I drive 20 min to the beach from the town of Baysh, not too bad. Area is very conservative. Haven´t seen a woman not wearing a burkha during my 5 weeks of stay here. Even at the beach they´re swimming with their full on burkhas.

Now after I´ve spent more time at the beach, I wouldn´t sum up the locals as a hazard anymore, that was a bit harsh, haha :D I mean they´ve propably never seen or heard of kiting before so they are quite interested of course so it was just overwhelming on few occasions to be that popular :bye:

Also the coast guard being nearby is a good thing in the end. Now they´ve gotten used to what I do, I haven´t had any problems with them anymore. Instead they keep patrolling the beach quite frequently so I think security wise the spot is fine as well.

Here´s a snapshot from an upcoming thunderous sandstrom. Luckily i saw it coming 30 min prior when it hit. Came in, packed up, into the car and boom: visibility to zero and gusting at 20 m/s. Wouldn´t wanna be holding my kite in the air when that shit hits the fan :o
Attachments
wp_ss_20141007_0002.png
Last edited by Skele on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:43 am

Any further experience of kiting this area in the last few years?

Skele
Rare Poster

Postby Skele » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:54 pm

There was some discussion over at the "Saudi kiting ban" discussion. Also there's a link to my Saudi -edit, if you're interested. Check it...

http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... di#p972292

Haven't been there for 2 years now,but some buddies of mine say that the Baysh-Jizan area is developing really fast. The Baysh beach access is limited nowadays, due to a refinery that's under development.

Don't know anything about the ban situation mentioned in the post an if it is affecting the South west area.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks for the updates Skele.

Be interested specifically in the area where the terminal is being developed.

KiteVanHike
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Jazan
Gear: 14m Rally
12m Evo
9m RPM

Postby KiteVanHike » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:44 am

I'll be out that way as well if anyone has been there or is there now or in the future let me know!

Return to “Kitesurfing”