Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Postby fdvj » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:43 pm

billybob wrote:viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2382887

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2383881

Not real computer savvy, but above links reference past dealings with Ozone. Happy with customer service, not so sure about canopy durability. Pictures show numerous pinhole patches, appear to be located near inflate valve and raised stitching. I am guessing sand may collect in these areas and cause holes when rolling up for storage. I counted 8 patches and found at least 5 more holes today. Other pic shows leading edge blowout along seam and a strut repair patch. Strut blowout appears to be along a crease that is probably from folding the kite for storage. There were 2 other Reo kites at my beach last winter with identical strut blowouts and pinhole patches, weird. Leading edge blowout happened midair, repair was done and blew out a week later along seam near first repair. Never had pinhole issues before over last 13 years. I don't baby my kites, but if I were to buy another Ozone I certainly would in the future. Food for thought. PS loved the REO.
Thanks for the pictures I think the assumptions about the valve damage and strut damage are logical and fit with my experience of kites, The LE blow out is more concerning, as the stitching looks like it failed. What is the opposite side like? I have 2013 C4s and have avoided the boston valve issue by luck or by the fact that I rarely fully pack down my kite but I have learnt something so thanks.

kiteholic
Rare Poster
Local Beach: tarifa
Favorite Beaches: tarifa
Style: freeride
Gear: liquid force

Postby kiteholic » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 am

Maybe it's time for Ozone to think investing more in product durablity than kite contests.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:40 am

Ozone really does read all their emails concerning product feedback and suggestions.

I suggest everyone reading this thread email them about their prices; quality, products, etc: kites@flyozone.com

I think the "company" is a lot smaller than most people think. Everyone imagines them having ~50 employees(not including the people at the factory in Vietnam); when really they have about 3. Working from home in New Zealand.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:13 am

rtz wrote:Ozone really does read all their emails concerning product feedback and suggestions.

I suggest everyone reading this thread email them about their prices; quality, products, etc: kites@flyozone.com

I think the "company" is a lot smaller than most people think. Everyone imagines them having ~50 employees(not including the people at the factory in Vietnam); when really they have about 3. Working from home in New Zealand.

I find that really hard to believe...

danie178
Medium Poster

Postby danie178 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 am

RTZ is correct plus a part time graphics guy, But then most kite design teams are pretty small.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:13 pm

rtz wrote:Ozone really does read all their emails concerning product feedback and suggestions.

Thanks RTZ this makes me feel so much better. Now I can watch my new 2013 Ozone edge quiver fall apart in peace. Its just a video.

silly post, does not address or help in any way.

Its simple;
1. You sell a product you need to support it
2. Not every product you make will be perfect, you need to support it
3. Listen to your customers sometimes they might be right.... Or at least could lead you to a flaw in your product don't just slam the door in their face
Last edited by s1buell_wl on Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:33 pm

danie178 wrote:RTZ is correct plus a part time graphics guy, But then most kite design teams are pretty small.
Must be easier than it seems then...

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:04 pm

Pin holes don't just form by themselves. I am an observer mostly and I watch how people treat there kites. They drop a board on the leading edge or throw a harness on their kite and leave it in the sun all day. Probably the same person complaining about a pin hole I your canopy. This is not an issue with ozone. I ride well over 200 days a year on ozone kites and have never had an issue. The picture of pin holes posted are right about where they would form if you put a board or something like that to keep your kite on the ground. Treat kites like tissue paper and they will last a long time.

KiteRunner
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crandon Park/Miami Beach

Postby KiteRunner » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:09 pm

I promised to report back if I ever hear back from Ozone.

After sending a handful of unreplied emails to the US distributor, I decided to send one to their main headquarters. I just received the following. I took out the person's name because I don't think its right to give personal information on the forum:

Hi,
I've been in touch with ( ------ ) about your warranty claim.
We haven't had any claims at all about pinholes as all material is checked by hand with a lightbox as you can see in our factory video at 1:42
http://vimeo.com/15725532
We feel that your claim is not a manufacturing or material issue and looks more like a wear and tear problem. If you feel you want the material of your kite analyzed our experts could do that at our factory in Vietnam. We would have to reach an understanding about shipping costs in that case.
Best regards,

kiteholic
Rare Poster
Local Beach: tarifa
Favorite Beaches: tarifa
Style: freeride
Gear: liquid force

Postby kiteholic » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:49 am