Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Forum for kitesurfers
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Serious pinholes issues on the 2014 Ozone REOs

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Interesting thread and had me worried for a moment (my '14 edges have just arrived - a big moment for me, as to date have only ever used Naish), but having just spoken to someone who has had his quiver of edges since 2011 & has just picked up a quiver of '14 edges, no problems ever experienced.

I discussed the current and previous edges with a very good kite repairer and he commented that the edges/ozones are amongst the best kites available and having repaired ozones, no problems found & no higher incidence of repairs than any other brand.... all repairs done were due to contact with sharp stones/objects.

ps as we expected, the 2014 Edge is very fast across the water and apparently has a nicer/sharper bar feedback compared with 2011...... looking forward to collecting mine :D

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Has thanked: 0

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:40 pm

Aren't ozone using D2 material for 2014. ??

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:46 pm

ooooh you bitch :wink:

But name me a kite that boosts, wave rides & lasts....i'll buy it :D
Fair point...

I have just ordered a 10m Edge 2014 to replace my 2013 Edge 10m. THe kite did get a couple of pin pricks in it but it didn't stop me ordering again.

I have a 10m and 7m C4 with no issues.

I also asked a local kite repair chap and he said that he didn't see any more Ozone kites compared to other brands...

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Take better care of your kites! Pin holes happen when the kite is on the ground. Be more careful. Find a nice place to roll up your kite. Bashing a company because you don't know how to take care of your kite is bad form. I think ozone is good a weeding out the bs.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:23 pm

Westozzy wrote:Aren't ozone using D2 material for 2014. ??
You are right - this is from the Ozone website for the 2014 Edge:
"The new Edge is constructed with quality proven Teijin D2 canopy material and Teijin Dacron providing a crisper feel and a stronger kite. "

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm

So the edge canopy is claimed to me made of Teijin D2 from 2014.
It seems we have learned if you rub it on the beach somewhere in Brazil, some stitches on the LE tube can wear hole sin the canopy. Maybe this happens a couple of times, or more. The details seem to change on that story.

From the ozone website it seems the reo is still made of Teijin T9600, like probably 90% of kitesurfing kites over the last decade or so.
We have learned if you leave it on a windy, rocky beach with rocks on top of it, it also gets pinholes.
This is not really surprising, is it?
:(

BTW my old C4 has a pinhole by the inflate valve cover, where it rubs when the kite is folded up.
waaaaah.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby stefaans » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:58 pm

I have a 2010 Ozone Catalyst with maybe 400 sessions on it. I've had it in the power lines in Cali that cut some bridal lines. I've had it in the tress in Vietnam and I've had it tumbled in surf all over the world. no Pinholes! Sure shes a little faded but still perfect. Would be hard to find another kite with that many uses in that condition. Only had Ozones for the last 5 years and never had a problem. Just got my 2014 Reo last week and not worried a bit about your post.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:25 pm

never had any issues with Reos since 2012 or Edges since 2009 hundreds of hours jumping hard looping tumbling in waves...

One thing that makes a difference i think is that i never pack the kite in the bag unless i'm travelling I always roll up the kite free of sand and debris from one end only with struts inflated.

I've owned many kites and brands since i started kiting in 1998 ans so far ozone has been the most reliable. I can't speak to customer service since i never had to use it. i hope the 2014s are as good

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:39 pm

BWD

As you wish man. I can tell you the 2013 edge is a delicate kite. I've had many other brands and like a ton. I've never had a kite last more then 2ys we just kite to much here.

Again I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything just sharing my personal experience with the 2013 edge.

It's great they have moved to the 2x ripstop.

You want a good laugh???? Read the entire response they tell me you need to baby an Edge because its delicate..... too funny

From Rep & Ozone

I know this really sucks. It sickens me that you have only had this kite a short while and this has happened! The reason the stitching lines up with the holes is because the canopy was scraped while it was mashed in to those stitches. This is evident by the scratches… not the wear marks and holes, but all the scratching on the outside (opposite side of canopy that is touching the stitches) which is running diagonally across most the area beyond those stitches in your pictures. And this points to the type of scraping that can be done while flipping a kite… either during a self launch or when flipping by hand, etc. Or, if the kite is left on the beach to flap in the wind, this can also happen as the wind pushes the canopy down on to those stitches. When flying, the canopy is pushed outwards so this isn’t an issue then. In an attempt to further illustrate what I am trying to explain… If you took a piece of paper, put it over those stitches on the leading edge and scrubbed a credit card over the paper, you would wear the paper through to those stitches. But the stitches aren’t the cause of the wear, it’s the scraping of the credit card.

You have to remember that the Edge is a purpose built race kite. It is designed to be light, quick and does not have the extra reinforcement used on the majority of general purpose sort kites like the North. With the Edge, Ozone has made use of lighter weight Dacron, ESPECIALLY on that big 19M. Ozone makes the Catalyst with heavier Dacron, etc, so it can better handle this type of wear & tear. But it’s these light, performance characteristics of the Edge that also make it a great light wind kite. However, YOU HAVE TO BABY A KITE LIKE THIS as it is not made to handle abuse. You probably shouldn’t self launch a delicate monster. Doing so requires scraping the kite along sand when turning it over. On a big kite like you own, self launching is going to wear even heavier on the canopy due to the extra weight. Or, when you anchor your chicken loop on a self launch/land, you have to make sure the kite is not bouncing off the sand on the wingtip. Even if you have guys launching and landing your kite, you have to be careful they are not mashing it into the sand when flipping it over. And people are more likely to do this when assisting you with a huge monster like your 19M. If you’re on an ocean, chances are your beach sand is nothing more than crushed shells which can be very rough and sharp. When having someone assist a launch, have them pick up the kite, let the wind hover it and walk their hands down the leading edge as they are turning it over so the kite is not touching the ground when flipping it for you. And while we’re at it, you cannot pump a big kite like this as solid as a smaller kite. About a 7 psi max is it. The volume of air in a 19M is huge. Too much air, you can burst a seam and it ain’t pretty on a kite this large… I have seen it happen!

I hate these types of situations. You have spent good money on this kite. But I’m not going to be able to get Ozone to cover this because it is not a warranty issue. The kite can be repaired of course. If we were to repair this kite properly, we would probably do panel replacements in the damaged areas. That would keep the kite as light as possible so it would perform as it was designed. But if you’re not racing it, perhaps you might consider having patches sewn over those areas as well as any others that might be susceptible with the type of wear this kite is seeing. Obviously with the former solution, you would have to change your approach to handling this kite. With the latter, you’d have some protection against some wear. Now I would be glad to cut you some slack on the repairs to help you out but not a whole lot is made on repairs so the amount saved isn’t going to mean much against the cost you would incur shipping the kite back and forth. Perhaps you have a good local sail repair shop who can handle either of the 2 suggested solutions correctly? If so, I would have to imagine the cost would be far less than a even discounted repair plus roundtrip shipping? Let me know. I’m glad to help any way I can.
Last edited by s1buell_wl on Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:42 pm

Anytime T! You are correct, the Ozone Edge is a more delicate kite then usual… especially the 19M. With this kite, they had to invoke techniques to make a kite this large perform. Many times what it comes down to is compromising durability. This is very common in the hard-core course race scene which this kite was meant for. If think this kite is bad, you should try some of the more high end race boards!! You just look at some of those wrong and the surface is compromised! I am so glad that you were able to handle reinforcing that kite yourself!

Return to “Kitesurfing”