Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2015 North Dyno vs 2014 North Juice.

Forum for kitesurfers
Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2015 North Dyno vs 2014 North Juice.

Postby Billy B. » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Ok fist I am affiliated with North, and will be "pimping" how much I like North stuff......

So I have had a couple of new big kites from North about a week, and I have flown them numourous times each, and will be sharing the results,

Kites were all flown trading off on the water with several other kiters, contitions ranged from light, 5knots to powered, 20+knots.

So let me mention the 2015 dyno has some of the trickiest bridles ever, there are NO connections to the leading edge, (except the fith line safety). All bridling is behind a (mystery fabric leading edge) it is burley and slippery. The connection points are at the leading edge and strut connections, and between 30 to 60 cm up on the strut, (it is a six strut with no center strut). This means the drag is decreased, and the center of effort is changed, the front lines attach behind the leading edge and change everything!

The bar feel is crisp and has a direct, mechanical feel unlike any other LEI kite out there. The bar pressure is amazing since the distance from the front to rear lines is much shorter, and the canopy is the most stable I and the local kiters have witnessed, if there is lufting, it is only when the bar is slacked and the rider removes all pressure, then this cute little cigar shape section will luft, and the instantly disappear when a couple pounds of pressure is placed on the bar. This bridle system is a total game changer, and gives the Dyno amazing feel, and characteristics. Comparing it to any other LEI is just unfair, The kite is so crisp, reactive and friendly (for a race kite).

Creating power with the Dyno is simple and affective and with the leading edge in front of the connection points it takes a little time to adjust to the timing, it took me about 10 minutes on the 15 for it to blow my mind, it feels more stable then any kite moving in light wind should, and once you are mid powered, the trimming is so crisp and spot on you can not help but imaging logging hours with out the fatigue some race kites induce. The only other kite with a similar bar feel is the Ozone Chrono, we had one out to compare the Dyno and the Juice with. The Dyno feels much more direct, and more familiar to the LEI kiter while the Chrono has its own character in flight, and reguires a attentive kiter familiar with long foil kites, to be affective, once you have got it parked and pulling it is incredibly fast and effective, it and the Elf are in a category of their own when it comes to size, comparison, the 15m Chrono had more pull the the 15m dyno or 15m Juice , when switching from the 18m dyno to the Chrono, there was a noticeable difference in pull with 18m being very easy to sign and make apparent compared to the 15m Chrono, but once up to speed both kites scream, ( I should mention I am 3 month out of ACL surgery and did all testing strapless on surfboards, since I am not cleared to ride straps for 3more months, so I could not ride formula board and really check the points of sail). When riding the Chronofor the first time I newit had 5 degrees of reach on other kites, this new Dyno also drives up wind at insane angles compared to any other kite, and itis so easy to pull through the window, that you need to develop the skill to not penetrate and lose pressure or VMG it is amazing. Try one, it is groundbreaking.

The Juice is no Dyno, and that was the plan, the dynos a hundred percent race kite, it jumps great, goes way, up wind and needs a kiter familiar with race kites to milk every last usable MPH out of it. But not the Juice...this big bad boy is just a simple treat, does it pull.ike a truck for its size, YUP, does it drift down wind while riding waves or lake chop, oh yaaaa, like a dream, does it have the simple Quick pumping Lazy Pump, system...yuuuuppp... Isitmy go to big kite, for all fun sessions...indeed, and here is why...itis just plane fun, the bar pressure is adjustable to three settings and will make it personal to your style, the lightest is direct, and easy, while the hardest setting is similar to other big kite bar pressure. I prefer the middle setting.

I flew the 15m Juice back to back with a 15 dyno, a ozone zephyr,a 15 Chrono, and even a 11m evo to check out the high end. The Chrono was the most powerful, the dyno and zephyr where close, but the 15 juice made more set it and forget it lower end all the other LEI in its category, I can only quess what the 18m does. There where other big kites out most days,generally, 17m friendly kites, I had plenty of power on the 15, and could do lots of fun smaller kite tricks, this kite feels a lot like the Neo, but with some Evo DNA, it loops, it boost, it drifts, it flys great depowered, well over its suggested high end, I was riding North nuggets with a 220 lbs friend, (I am 160lbs) and we were trading the 15 juice and 11m evo back and forth, we both had plenty of power on EVO 11m and were roped in for comfort with the Juice, but never worried, some thing that is important in our high mountain winds, where it may blow from 8-25knots in a 30 second period. The Juice really drives up wind for a wave based shape, I expected it to have
Less up wind performance then big race kites, but it is close, It close reaches amazingly well and will make any light wind kiters day, just a blast, it has a familiar smaller kite bar feel, and turning speed, and is just a smile maker. This will be my go to big kite for 80 % of my light wind days..

I am happy to answer questions, the best I can. I am sure I forgot stuff.

Billy B.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: 2015 North Dyno vs 2014 North Juice.

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Thx Billy!

Did any of your buddies test it with a Twintip and can comment on lift and hangtime?

southflorida
Medium Poster
Style: flat water, go fast, practice tricks
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby southflorida » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Can you share pictures of the new Dyno bridle connection method? Can't find any on the North site.

Bridles not connected to the leading edge is a huge departure from any kite I've ever seen.

Gotta see that to understand it...even better if you have a video of that kite in flight...thx

Shifty33
Rare Poster

Postby Shifty33 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Know mentioned out of ACL however what are thoughts about unhooking with Juice 15 vs potentially EVO 14? Low end comparison between them. Looking for a fun unhooking friendly low wind North kite.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:45 pm

southflorida wrote:Can you share pictures of the new Dyno bridle connection method? Can't find any on the North site.

Bridles not connected to the leading edge is a huge departure from any kite I've ever seen.

Gotta see that to understand it...even better if you have a video of that kite in flight...thx
actually it doesn't matter where connection points are situated, it is distance between center of pressure of the wing and bridled tow point that counts. so, of course you can make bridle connection points on the struts, but that means you have to make sturdier(also heavier) struts. and probably more struts also(6 against 5 on previous year kite), which makes kite heavier too. otherwise your struts will bend distorting the canopy.

sorry to hear about no central strut. as the history shows us it is only temporary fluctuation.

the whole Billy B's review style is the opposite of the review made by Ken Winner. no important parameters, no facts, just general marketing bla-bla.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384858

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:11 am

My my, negative nancy above.... :roll:

Well done billy, excellent review and comparison with the chrono.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:45 am

Toby wrote:Thx Billy!

Did any of your buddies test it with a Twintip and can comment on lift and hangtime?
One 2012 dyno 17 rider felt the 18 dyno had great hang time, and he was boosting nice clean high tricks he weight around 195lbs and has never complained about over flexing previous models like I have heard other riders complain. He also flys a 2014 rebel and felt the Dyno was a better jumper.

I have been doing strapless airs with the Juice and some boost style tricks, it yanks up very hard and has surprising float, My landing seem rough but that could must be my timing, while trying to hold onto the board.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:46 am

southflorida wrote:Can you share pictures of the new Dyno bridle connection method? Can't find any on the North site.

I will see what I can make happen.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:50 am

Shifty33 wrote:Know mentioned out of ACL however what are thoughts about unhooking with Juice 15 vs potentially EVO 14? Low end comparison between them. Looking for a fun unhooking friendly low wind North kite.
I had a 14 evo before this kite and the juice has way more power,it has good manners wave riding and trims out nicely, It also has great turning speed for a light wind kite, If you are trying to milk light wind I would choose the Juice, (I did!) if you have mid powered 14 the evo may be a little more manageable, the juice really pulls.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
DC

All of it
North and Race boards

Postby Billy B. » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:59 am

eree wrote:

actually it doesn't matter where connection points are situated, it is distance between center of pressure of the wing and bridled tow point that counts. so, of course you can make bridle connection points on the struts, but that means you have to make sturdier(also heavier) struts. and probably more struts also(6 against 5 on previous year kite), which makes kite heavier too. otherwise your struts will bend distorting the canopy.

sorry to hear about no central strut. as the history shows us it is only temporary fluctuation.

the whole Billy B's review style is the opposite of the review made by Ken Winner. no important parameters, no facts, just general marketing bla-bla.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384858
I will keep that in mind next time I am chilling in the bath tub with my tablet comparing two kites for bros on a Internet forum.

Where do I go to read your Dyno and Juice comparison?

Since you haven't been kind enough to educate us with your experience I thought I would give it a whirl, sorry to not meet your standards...

Thanks for the friendly reminder that the kite designer knows his shit.

I would suggest you inspect the struts and bridle first hand, your comments are indicative of your understanding. How many 2015 Dynos have you flown and experienced any of your comments first hand with?

Return to “Kitesurfing”