mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2015 North Dyno vs 2014 North Juice.

Postby mr moon » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:54 pm

Good review Billy, I'd be interested as well in the hang time of these.. personally looking into Dyno 18m Juice 18m and Chrono 18 for light wind floaty jumps
:pump:
Last edited by mr moon on Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:58 am

Looks like the New Dyno is still not One Pump??

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:48 pm

Thx Dave. Pls compare with a crispy Dyno 18 ;-)

Not sure if I noticed less performance on my Dynos. Had some really used ones and new ones.
Pretty similar. But can be for sure!

ThickAir
Medium Poster

Postby ThickAir » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:11 pm

I took a spin on a 15m Juice yesterday in 12-15mph on a 134 Monk. I weigh 160lbs. and didn't have much luck staying upwind. Definitely needed a Nugget or other light wind board. Kite felt really good, but did not have the static grunt that the 2011 Dyno does. Juice needs speed to generate power, so it can be challenging to get going on a twin tip. I did really enjoy the feel of the kite (had it rigged on the middle knot for the rear lines). Felt much more playful than the Dyno and turned really nicely, although I was hoping for better results with my Monk. Definitely pulls more downwind than Dyno. I think I'd need 14-17mph to have fun and jump on 15m Juice.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:28 pm

Got to ride my 15m juice at Alameda yesterday.

Was on the water at 11:30am on a surfboard able to ride, at spot that usually takes till 1-2pm for the 12m and lw/surfboards to come out. For my weight (150 suited and harnessed) + thin surfboard the low end is around 6-8knts. It was a ton of fun in that little wind.

For a 15m kite it turns pretty fast, super easy for my crap timing to carve into and out of toeside and have plenty of power. Definitely faster than the 14m and 13m rebels, maybe faster the 12m. Much heavier bar feel than the rebels though.

Session ended around 1:30pm when I accidentally pulled my safety adjusting my harness, and didn't want to bother putting it back together and detangling lines. And I also had to get to work by 5. By that time other people were out on 10-12's on surfboards and some tt's. It only had a inch or so left on the depower, so I would have had to switch to a 12m soon anyways. I'd bet heavier guys with tt's could push the upper limit towards 10m territory.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:04 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Toby wrote:which year Dave?

Looking forward to your review, pls compare lift and hangtime. :thumb:

Thanks
Toby
Full disclosure, the post below has nothing to do with the new Dyno or Juice. Sorry off topic, but since Toby asked I think it's OK :D

Got two sessions in this weekend on the used 2013 19m Edge I just picked up. So far I'm loving it.

Haven't gotten a chance to try it out back to back with my 2011 18m Dyno, but I don't think it's going to be a fair fight. After 100 sessions, my 18m Dyno just doesn't seem to perform like it used to. It still is super stable and hangs in the air in almost no wind, but it seems to have a little less pull on the low end and noticably less height and hangtime in the jumps. I remember always being amazed at the height and hangtime in 12 knots, but not so much anymore. Have you noticed this too Toby? Do you retire your Dynos when they wear out like this or ride them til they explode?

For the 19m Edge, first session was in crappy choppy/gusty conditions about 14 knots on twin tip. Very impressed with hang time, but because of the direction of the chop I was having trouble popping consistently, so a lot of times I was going more horizontal than up. On a few sent back rolls (with slow rotation), I finished the rotation, ready to land, an was way higher still than I expected. Also I got closer to landing a board-off than I ever have before, so hangtime is definitely good.

Second session was in up and down 6-10 knots on raceboard. Kite is very stable even when I fell towards the kite on a tack in what felt like a 6 knots or less lull. Just hangs there in the sky like the 18m Dyno does. A few times I was definitely struggling to get the board back on plane, but the kite never felt like it was going to fall. At the end of the session it was really dying out, so I went to the beach where it was even lighter. I was self landing and saw that where the kite was going was some people's stuff laid out on a blanket (no people), so I ran downwind about 20 feet so the kite would drift downwind, but the kite just hung there in place, now way forward out of the window??? It seems like you can't get this thing to fall out of the sky. It was flying way further upwind of me than I thought would be possible, especially in 5 knots or so of wind, and still just hung there.

Overall, I'm very impressed so far. Much better than the 2012.5 Dyno LTD that I thought was a complete disaster. I'll let you know how it goes when I try it back to back with the 2011 18m Dyno. I'll try to get it out alongside my buddy's 18m Dyno that has had less use than mine.

I would love to see the back to back review..... I've been on the Edge 19m for 4-5 months (could not get a 18m 2011 Dyno).

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:11 pm

the new Turbine from Slingshot could be good too.
I saw the 2014 in action and it looked good!

Anyone?

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Toby wrote:the new Turbine from Slingshot could be good too.
I saw the 2014 in action and it looked good!

Anyone?
Only a 17m There is no way it has more hang then the 19m edge.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:57 pm

maybe not, but for sure it performs well. Erik Riensta also flies it and gets nice airs with it.

Should be tested for sure!

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:50 pm

For sure the Turbine has been around for a long time should be a well refined kite. I use to ride SS great stuff. I think this kite might be great in a 18-19m.

It's not a race kite could be a great AS kite....

Also the lines are top notch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”