Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Almost kitemare

Forum for kitesurfers
tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Almost kitemare

Postby tomatkins » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 pm

I have a pretty good idea how Plummet got his thumb trapped, but will welcome his account.

There are a number of ways to get fingers trapped in the chicken loop device... the most common way is when the chicken loop accidentally escapes the hook and the rider reaches out and grabs the tubing of the chicken loop (not the neck of the loop) and pulls the loop back onto the hook.... ahd discovers that they can not slip their fingers out, because the pressure of the chicken loop has gotten their fingers pined against the inside of the hook, itself. This only happens once to most kiters...yeah, kiters are quick learners.. :D :D

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Laughingman wrote:
plummet wrote:Ahh. Had an awesome session yesterday. pulled off the triple. High speed buggy runs on the 8m then log jumping on the landboard on the 13 edge (round 20 knots).

Then the wind pulled up higher 23-25 ish. So decided to jump in the water for a boostathon. As I changed board and was walking backwards to the water. (it was direct onshore). My chicken loop popped out and instantly I'm unhooked fully powered. My thumb is stuck between the bar and the chicken loop. I jstart floating down wind towards a boulder wall. Yep I stupidly have my kite at the zenth as theres other kites I need to walk past I can't have it low. Any way I'm floating toward the boulderwall and finally my feet touch the ground, I manage to wrestle my thumb free. I try to take control and put the chicken loop back in the harness. No dice.... too much power... now I'm within a couple of meters of the rock wall skidding towards it.

Ok no way I can save the kite and recover the situation so I let go of the bar and the kite flags to safety. Sweet..... I'm safe.

But is my kite shredded amongst the boulders? Nope its sustained no damage. So that's double sweet.

I re-rig and relaunch and end up have and insane jumping session. Whoot.

Glad you are okay but I don't understand how your thumb was caught between the bar and the chickenloop... ?
Also once you freed your thumb did you not think to let go and goto safety or was there another reason why you didn't? I've come unhooked before as well, i just let go and the kite flips over and sits down with no power... maybe you fly Cabs with IDS? That would explain it.
I was flying one handed with my hand in the middle of the bar. The other hand carrying the board. When the chicken loop popped out it captured the thumb in the web space between thumb and fingers.

I didn't let go instantly after freeing my thumb because there was a boulder wall and behind it a public walk way and car park. There was a chance the punching to safety would tomahawk the kite into some random walker. So it was worth while to try and recover the situation. Once I realised I couldn't recover it I let go to safety. As it turned out the kite didn't make it the walk way.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:12 am

plummet wrote: I was flying one handed with my hand in the middle of the bar. The other hand carrying the board. When the chicken loop popped out it captured the thumb in the web space between thumb and fingers.

I didn't let go instantly after freeing my thumb because there was a boulder wall and behind it a public walk way and car park. There was a chance the punching to safety would tomahawk the kite into some random walker. So it was worth while to try and recover the situation. Once I realised I couldn't recover it I let go to safety. As it turned out the kite didn't make it the walk way.
Okay... Ouch!

Return to “Kitesurfing”