ps_nl
Rare Poster
Gear: F-one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby ps_nl » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:49 am

Pstkk, the downside I can see of using a bigger overlapping cuff is that it needs to move at least its own distance before it releases the pin. Query whether it really makes the set-up more compact. Also you would probably have to machine your own parts, and I don't have that option.

By request, here is a picture of both release open. The blue power line is the flagging line.
image.jpeg

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:11 am

A pic of what you used for the safety at the line split would be interesting to see as well.

ps_nl
Rare Poster
Gear: F-one Bandit

Postby ps_nl » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:25 am

Just a stainless ring tied to the non-flagging line (grey), with the (blue) flagging line passing through. Serves as a stopper for the bar and keeps the lines together for the first 80 centimeters. The place of the ring dictates the bar throw, and with this setup I get about 76 cm. That is considerably more depower range than the old chicken loop and cleat setup, which had 40 cms of throw and about 20cm of depower. .
Attachments
image.jpeg

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:37 am

topmick wrote:ps_nl, that looks great - so nice to get rid of the extra safety connection. :thumb:

I think I'll put my CL back on & look for those parts & get a lesson in splicing.

Those cab mushroom releases are as rare as hens teeth here in Oz.
I decided that on balance it was safer to keep a two stage release even though one stage is far more elegant.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:00 am

I agree on a two stage safety John, sorry I was not very clear in my post as I was referring to the leash.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:35 am

topmick wrote:I agree on a two stage safety John, sorry I was not very clear in my post as I was referring to the leash.
8)

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:18 pm

"...Pstkk, the downside I can see of using a bigger overlapping cuff is that it needs to move at least its own distance before it releases the pin. Query whether it really makes the set-up more compact."...

The above is one downside, but another possible downside is that of repositioning the "pin" or "pelican lever" into the proper place, inside the green ball. If the "hood" is not designed just right, the pin could be accidentally positioned outside the green ball, but inside the "hood"... leading to an inadvertent release. The hood would have to be firmly attached to the green ball, and would have to extend an additional distance to cover the red ball. The pin may have to be made quite long to make it easy to jam it into the green ball... and this would mean that to release the safety, that the "hood" and the green ball would have to be pushed an additional distance, and this would mean that a clear area on the 2 power lines would have to be established and maintained for the "hood" and ball to slide on, as it moves up toward the bar, during a release motion.

So, you might loose a couple of inches of "throw".

Another potential problem could be that the "hood" might push against the red ball and cause an inadvertent release. The PVC "hood" could test this also.

You could test this by cutting a short (2" long) piece of PVC (1" diameter or 1and1/4") and screw it to the green ball... and see the potential problems.
Last edited by tomatkins on Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:21 pm

topmick wrote:I agree on a two stage safety John, sorry I was not very clear in my post as I was referring to the leash.
Funnily enough I was out today on a 7m at Essaouira and the waves were pretty nice so I could do a bit of front and back side on a Shinn Monk twin tip (sorry purists!). Needless to say I got a bit over ambitious and tried to turn just as the wave was breaking ... *BOOM* ... was being dragged along under water for a while and ended up hitting the QR. Glad I didnt have a choice of which of two QR's to hit!

(And yeah, I'm sh*t. :-) )

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Habo Ljung, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards 5-0
TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 90,105,110cm
Moses Fluente 550/590 + 330/325 and 633 se
Ozone Hyperlink 9mUL, 7m
Hyperlink V2 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:41 pm

PS_nl, pretty simple and clean.
Ok, I gave not tried one of these but I'm still sceptical to not having depower trim.
The reason is that I like to have my arms at a fixed distance ( elbow angle) and have " correct power." it's really hard to know what front line trim is needed until flying on the water. Even tho I've kited 14 years. Conditions change multiple times in a session, winds can be 7-8 ms for 15 min, then 10-12ms for 10 min, then back. So I'm not able to decide at session start to attach to certain harness pigtail knot.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:18 pm

ps_nl wrote:Just a stainless ring tied to the non-flagging line (grey), with the (blue) flagging line passing through. Serves as a stopper for the bar and keeps the lines together for the first 80 centimeters. The place of the ring dictates the bar throw, and with this setup I get about 76 cm. That is considerably more depower range than the old chicken loop and cleat setup, which had 40 cms of throw and about 20cm of depower. .
In that pic, I see nothing to make sure the two front lines are the same length.
What if your blue line is a bit off in length?
A stopper ball just after the blue line would allow that ball to sit against the ring to keep the two front lines at the same starting point before they go to the kite.
The stopper ball can slide on the line when it hits the bar.
Also, what prevents the bar and ring from going all the way to the kite up on the blue line side?... after you've hit the release and you want to reel things back in to reset to relaunch?

Return to “Kitesurfing”