Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby topmick » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:10 am

Could you still activate the red safety if the white one was jammed in some way ?

Question, I understand how to splice (Brummel) but I don't have the tools. Did you guys buy fids ect or make your own tools ?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:46 pm

I like the pstkk design, have thought of doing something like that... The window is a good touch, looks smart.
Before paying to print your idea, I would consider hacking a prototype out of a nylon rod first to get a feel for the design, tolerances, etc. Pretty easy to drill, cut, shape, and strong enough.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:18 pm

topmick wrote:Could you still activate the red safety if the white one was jammed in some way ?

Question, I understand how to splice (Brummel) but I don't have the tools. Did you guys buy fids ect or make your own tools ?
I just use a long piece of thin wire, bent in half. Once it's through the middle of the rope , I pinch the end of the rope with some pliers into the wire where it's folded in half and pull it back through.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 50.7752° N, 0.9077° W
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:24 pm

topmick wrote:Could you still activate the red safety if the white one was jammed in some way ?

I bought a couple of fids which covers me for 2 mm to 6mm, they're cheap.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:28 pm

pstkk wrote:
Thank you for your comments. I drew a model that might prevent the problems mentioned above. Maybe I'll find somewhere to get this 3D printed. The metal lever is the one from Cabrinha/BRM.
Nice CAD skills, bro!

Can you operate the kite release independent of the front line flag?

philmont
Rare Poster
Gear: Strapless and foils
Been thanked: 0

Postby philmont » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:52 pm

I noticed in the Youtube video (2016 IKA Formula Kite World Championship Weifang - Day 6) (2:06 - 2:26) that it looks like Daniela Morozhas has her Ozone race bar flag-out set up as suicide.
http://se.kiteforum.com/video/view/4191

I thought racers were required to have a single or double flag-out line (no suicide).
Are racers allowed to use suicide flag-outs?
Has Ozone gone to a buried center line flag-out for 2017? (doubtful)

The reason for this query is that I am trying to convert an older Cabrinha bar to use without the CL for my 2013/14 Ozone kites (Edges and Catalysts). I would like to keep full flag-out if possible. The round hole through the Cabrinha bar (with mushroom and fat plastic washer) looks like it might jam the elastic Ozone flag-out line when the mushroom is released. Is there an easy way to ensure the through the bar flag-out line will not jam when the mushroom is released?

Has anyone else converted to suicide with the Ozone above the bar trim set-up?
Attachments
IMG_2026.jpg
IMG_2023.jpg
IMG_2022.jpg

tomatkins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomatkins » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 am

pstkk wrote:
ps_nl wrote:Pstkk, the downside I can see of using a bigger overlapping cuff is that it needs to move at least its own distance before it releases the pin. Query whether it really makes the set-up more compact.
tomatkins wrote:The above is one downside, but another possible downside is that of repositioning the "pin" or "pelican lever" into the proper place, inside the green ball. If the "hood" is not designed just right, the pin could be accidentally positioned outside the green ball, but inside the "hood"... leading to an inadvertent release. The hood would have to be firmly attached to the green ball, and would have to extend an additional distance to cover the red ball. The pin may have to be made quite long to make it easy to jam it into the green ball... and this would mean that to release the safety, that the "hood" and the green ball would have to be pushed an additional distance, and this would mean that a clear area on the 2 power lines would have to be established and maintained for the "hood" and ball to slide on, as it moves up toward the bar, during a release motion.

So, you might loose a couple of inches of "throw".

Another potential problem could be that the "hood" might push against the red ball and cause an inadvertent release.
Thank you for your comments. I drew a model that might prevent the problems mentioned above. Maybe I'll find somewhere to get this 3D printed. The metal lever is the one from Cabrinha/BRM.

What will keep the pelican lever on the end of the grey line, from slipping through the hole in the bar, when the primary safety is pushed away?

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:26 am

It's still a work in progress but getting there slowly.
IMG_20160919_130435.jpg

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:01 am

philmont wrote:
Has anyone else converted to suicide with the Ozone above the bar trim set-up?
The second pic there makes no sense at all. You push the bar away, or you release. The effect is the same. Why bother with the leash at all?
topmick wrote: Question, I understand how to splice (Brummel) but I don't have the tools. Did you guys buy fids ect or make your own tools ?
I use a skewer and just tape the line to the end. Easy and cheap.

rynhardt wrote:Part of the reason I made my own release is because I couldn't safely mod my mushroom (newer version).

That's not actually a "newer" version. It's the one that comes on the short leash. The regular leash still comes with the good release. See my posts a few pages back.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 am

Finished the V1 version today, I'm about 80% happy with it - see how it goes next windy day.
IMG_20160919_190915.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”