Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby topmick » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:12 am

L0KI wrote:I'm not finding swaged eye terminals that look like they are right for the job.
Would like to know sources (for USA) they are coming from if anybody is willing to clue me in.
I could not find anything here in Oz but got lucky and sourced a couple of Cab mushroom releases. They look the same if not very similar to what BRM are using, the balls i found were easy to find in any boating store.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:49 am

You can use the Cab mushroom shell too, works fine. I believe the metal pin is exactly the same on the BRM bar as found on the mushroom and is actually better and safer than the straight swag eyes as detailed earlier on this topic. Buying the Cab mushrooms costs more but a proven piece of vital gear IMHO.
Attachments
20160902_185721.jpg

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:04 am

I agree, def stronger - by the way, what type of splicing did you use to attach the ring long Bury or Brummel or other ?

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:31 am

Brummel and about 25x line diameter bury

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards
Been thanked: 0

Postby mdksniper » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:04 pm

alford wrote:You can use the Cab mushroom shell too, works fine. I believe the metal pin is exactly the same on the BRM bar as found on the mushroom and is actually better and safer than the straight swag eyes as detailed earlier on this topic. Buying the Cab mushrooms costs more but a proven piece of vital gear IMHO.

Where do you get the mushroom release?

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:37 pm

mdksniper wrote:
alford wrote:You can use the Cab mushroom shell too, works fine. I believe the metal pin is exactly the same on the BRM bar as found on the mushroom and is actually better and safer than the straight swag eyes as detailed earlier on this topic. Buying the Cab mushrooms costs more but a proven piece of vital gear IMHO.

Where do you get the mushroom release?
Also check which variant of the mushroom you get. The older version has a cross pin that prevents the pelican pin from going through the mushroom. If you use too large a ring with it, the cross pin can get caught on the wrong side and get stuck.

The newer version has a channel inside the mushroom with an end stop to prevent the pelican pin from going through the mushroom. It does not have a cross pin.
There is a PU tube around the rope that fits through the mushroom, which is big enough to prevent the pelican pin from sliding off the internal end stop.

With either of these be careful that any mods don't nullify the original design parameters.

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Part of the reason I made my own release is because I couldn't safely mod my mushroom (newer version). So I'll rather use it in its original form with another bar that has a trim system.

In the photo below you can see the channel for the pin. If you remove the PU tube it's possible that the pin can slide into the hole and either go through or get jammed.
Attachments
DSC_0092.JPG
DSC_0093.JPG

pstkk
Medium Poster
Gear: Zeeko, Flysurfer, Taaroa, Horue

Postby pstkk » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:12 am

ps_nl wrote:Pstkk, the downside I can see of using a bigger overlapping cuff is that it needs to move at least its own distance before it releases the pin. Query whether it really makes the set-up more compact.
tomatkins wrote:The above is one downside, but another possible downside is that of repositioning the "pin" or "pelican lever" into the proper place, inside the green ball. If the "hood" is not designed just right, the pin could be accidentally positioned outside the green ball, but inside the "hood"... leading to an inadvertent release. The hood would have to be firmly attached to the green ball, and would have to extend an additional distance to cover the red ball. The pin may have to be made quite long to make it easy to jam it into the green ball... and this would mean that to release the safety, that the "hood" and the green ball would have to be pushed an additional distance, and this would mean that a clear area on the 2 power lines would have to be established and maintained for the "hood" and ball to slide on, as it moves up toward the bar, during a release motion.

So, you might loose a couple of inches of "throw".

Another potential problem could be that the "hood" might push against the red ball and cause an inadvertent release.
Thank you for your comments. I drew a model that might prevent the problems mentioned above. Maybe I'll find somewhere to get this 3D printed. The metal lever is the one from Cabrinha/BRM.
Attachments
kf1.png
f_top2.png
5.png

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:30 am

nice work! big open window to reload & flush, simple and clean. looks awesome

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:31 am

alamos_kiter wrote:nice work! big open window to reload & flush, simple and clean. looks awesome
Looks very nice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”