Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Forum for kitesurfers
Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Chicken Loop Bye Bye?

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:15 am

The BK push shackle looks nice but I prefer something that swivels.

The cones and trigger shackle looks interesting but I would be concerned that the hand may be in range of the latch when operating. A latch released under load has the potential to severely damage anything in its path. Ok if you remember to pull across rather than up I guess, and that direction of pull would also be more ergonomic for the cone operating the trigger. Might be a hassle if releasing while slack if you are trying to eject before the sh1t actually hits the fan.

Fightsurfer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 85
Style: Freeride, with ATB and on Snow, Rideup
Gear: Kitefactory 2012 Maori, FS Peak4 5m, Fixed-Bride 4 Liners
Been thanked: 0

Postby Fightsurfer » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:50 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:39 am
Fightsurfer wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:37 pm
No Wichards would be the best.
Well, tell us arguments why you think so ...
Reasons why not to use Wichard shackles are laid out earlier in this thread.
Well, Ive read 93 pages - and I claim nowhere are valid arguments at all!
I am into that topic knee deep and that you havent responded with any more details to my previous post - that explains Wichards indepth - proofs to me that you are unlikely to have any valid argument.
If you are able to quote them, try your best instead of claiming thin air.

... but I would be concerned that the hand may be in range of the latch when operating.
Well, I would be more concerned about a metal pin like with BRS that shots open 180° and well beyond that. In the case of a Push BRS, the Pin is on the accelerated line. Only with Pull BRS the Pin stays on the fixed line, and is receiving less acceleration.

The Hooks of the Wichard and BK Shackle can not travel more than ~150°, because they are stopped by their own housing and hinge pretty early.
Also, as soon as the Hook of a Wichard opens 90° the secured ring is free and no further acceleration is transmitted from the ring to the hook.

With the Pin of a BRS, it is accelerating until it opens at 180°, so the impuls to the pin is way longer and therefor higher than of the hook.
Higher Mass also has a momentum and accelerates slower, and the lever arm of the hook is way shorter (maybe 25mm/1") compared to the BRS Pin (40mm to 2") decreasing the momentum even further.

So, Im would be more afraid of a fast, thin Pin hitting my flesh than of the wide, slow and short hook.
Tests could easily proof that theory.
Might be a hassle if releasing while slack if you are trying to eject before the sh1t actually hits the fan.
Show me any solution that stays open after activating/releasing, so it would work with slack.
Nor BRS, nor Infexion Seatbealt Buckle, nor a conventional CL QR offers this feature.
I wouldnt even consider the BK buckle, as this buckle only stays open passivly by Gravity but not by any tension of the buckle itself.

So yeah, Im with you, some Infexion Seatbealt Buckle style that stays open after activating would be great. The Trigger should reset already, but the claws should stay open until a ring is inserted again.

Until that solution is available, I guess we are still limited to the CLs available and the 3-4 Methods now mentioned in my posts.

Cheers

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:14 pm

**I agree that there is no perfect solution but lots are workable with various swings and roundabouts and different ergonomic approaches. The infexion system is actually good for a slack release as the attachment ring further tensions the operating bungee and is actually fired out by this tension even when not under kite load. The roundabout for this is that it makes the ring harder to load. All these systems seem to have there own ergonomic quirks to which you have to adapt. But thanks for the post as all good info.

Just as an aside I have recently used the Infexio system and one of the Jeely QR’s and both seem to do what they say on the tin at value for money. But if you are gliding etc that is a different story imho. Regards Herman.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 pm

Fightsurfer wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:37 pm
No Wichards would be the best.

But I stumbled accross another video:
Here some Shackle again. The nose of this one definitly is cleaner than the Wichard Trigger Shackle, but I dont expect some 25-35mm ring to get caught on the nose of a Wichard Trigger Shackle either.
Anyways: This solution is even shorter, and without the swivel it stayes in a fixed position, Gravity helps keeping the Shackle open, and one hand closing should be even easier! Exactly what I wanted.
Instead of a regular ring that is attached to the front lines, you just can use a ball bearing swivel and have the lines untangling!

With a Swivel, you have two eyes aswell, so the Flagout/5th Line can be routed threw the "upper" eye, clearing more space to the Shackle!

That video shows a shackle which is quite easy to find (the red plastic release is novel). The problem from personal experience is that the shackle stops working after a while. As the shackle gets older the hinge gets looser - it can move a bit more than when it is new. This changes the angles a little bit and the release arm kind of gets hooked on the pin that it sits against. The solution is to regularly test it under load and file away a bit of the release end so that it does not get hooked up. Be warned.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Fightsurfer (Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:43 am

Just a side remark : when I look at the attachement principle on the harness (video at 0:28), I have a doubt : does the system allow enough rotation if you ride in switch mode (toe side, surf type) ? It seems that the device may impact the harness hook which would induce bending effort (so not in pure traction only as it is designed for) ;
in case of contact this could also add a rigid lever arm that is in detriment of comfort / body rotation stroke , when riding toe side.

Personally I prefer the "old" cabrinha mushroom, which I use for years , very compat , and I see less polemics on release safety at first sight.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
iriejohn (Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:30 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:28 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:43 am

Personally I prefer the "old" cabrinha mushroom, which I use for years , very compat , and I see less polemics on release safety at first sight.
I've tried other stuff and that's also what I've gone back to, it always works.

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:18 am

What is your experience with using the standard chicken loop, with the donkey dick and all, into a ring on a rope slider spreader bar?

I suppose that this question has been handled, with the number of posts here, but I did not quite find the clear answer i sought - sorry.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:36 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:28 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote:

Until the Infexion Seat Belt, right?

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:23 pm

alford wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:36 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:28 pm
Regis-de-giens wrote:

Until the Infexion Seat Belt, right?
I no longer use the Infexion Seat Belt system.

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:17 am

The Cabrinha mushroom is proven and simple but no swivel unless it's above the bar.
Above the bar swivels usually require manual untwisting if reachable and they're big and aren't they difficult to source now?

Return to “Kitesurfing”