Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boardriding Maui Paipo, lightwind..or any wind.

Forum for kitesurfers
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boardriding Maui Paipo, lightwind..or any wind.

Postby lewmt » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 pm

Just wondering if anyone has tried traveling with a paipo? I am headed to OBX soon & was thinking I'd just bring mine in the cardboard Greg shipped it in & tell the airline its a gift for the people I'm visiting. I get 1 free checked bag because of my CC anyway. Doesn't really have a surfboard shape so am thinking it should work. Anyone else tried anything similar? Construction of the board should allow it to withstand gorilla-handler abuse way better than a surf board.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Can anyone tell me how well the Paipo/Shinnster travel down wind right side up and upside down?

I'm curious that because it's not as much volume as a surfboard it will sit in the water instead of moving down wind like a normal surfboard.

For example on a TT it's pretty much locked with the tide not the wind, and with my Slingshot SP I have to sine the kite to catch up to the board down wind of me. I imagine the Paipo is somewhere in between but I'd like to hear people's thoughts on it.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Slappysan wrote:Can anyone tell me how well the Paipo/Shinnster travel down wind right side up and upside down?

I'm curious that because it's not as much volume as a surfboard it will sit in the water instead of moving down wind like a normal surfboard.

For example on a TT it's pretty much locked with the tide not the wind, and with my Slingshot SP I have to sine the kite to catch up to the board down wind of me. I imagine the Paipo is somewhere in between but I'd like to hear people's thoughts on it.
Hey, so having used the paipo for a long time...in waves and flat...in super windy and light conditions it has never been a problem getting back to it. Never had long periods of body dragging.

It has even less influence from wind than the TT, but it seems to move just fine. Maybe because it has less fin and no footstraps it also cause less drag sticking in the water? I don;t know...but I know it has not been an issue for me. :-)

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Slappysan wrote:Can anyone tell me how well the Paipo/Shinnster travel down wind right side up and upside down?

My experience is the same as with Tautologies. Not a problem. Slappy...I think your assumption that its drifting behavior is between a twintip and surfboard is probably correct.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:13 pm

I just got my Shinnster and I have to say I'm surprised with how flexible it is. I haven't ridden it yet but I was quite surprised how flexible and thin it is.

I'm also still a bit worried about chasing after it in our 2 knot tides, this thing is super thin and looks like it will catch zero wind.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Slappysan wrote:I just got my Shinnster and I have to say I'm surprised with how flexible it is. I haven't ridden it yet but I was quite surprised how flexible and thin it is.

I'm also still a bit worried about chasing after it in our 2 knot tides, this thing is super thin and looks like it will catch zero wind.
Well I dunno about the Shinnster, but if it is like a Paipo then no worries. Works much like a surfboard in that respect. :-)

Simair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zeebrugge
Style: Strapless
Gear: Best Cabo's
Best spacecraft
North whip

Postby Simair » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Recently bought the shinnster and had my first session on in.

The first 5 minutes were searching for the best feet positioning but after that it's just pure fun!!

For me this board makes "technical" moves easier because of the quick response by the skimmy float.

Super stoked about this board can't wait to take it out again and trunk up my skill level :thumb:

Nothing fancy but here a link to my first shinnster session: practice the tack, put it in HD :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6roT7i ... _a-PHv1drw

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:20 pm

Nice, you got it dialed pretty quick!
I assume these boards (the Paipo, and even more so the Shinnster?) make tacks even more technical due to the lack of flotation

Simair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zeebrugge
Style: Strapless
Gear: Best Cabo's
Best spacecraft
North whip

Postby Simair » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks!

Actually no...not to me.

The shinnster is indeed easier to push around so it also makes it easier to tack or move with it.
Of course you can break out very easely.

For example with my vanguard i got my left side tack like a dime but my right side goes 1 on 5.
With the shinnster i manage both sides almost equal, i guess the lack of fins and the draggin by the fins makes it go better / faster to move the board around.
Look at shinnster of the week 10 where Mark pushes the board 180° around, with a regular strapless board this would be much harder.

Also for these tack tricks you need some lift by the kite so volume of the board doesn't matter at the moment then.

The positive thing about the quick movement it is you can pay more attention to the kite to keeps things work and then progress faster.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Ah ok, easier to push around. :thumb:
Simair wrote: Also for these tack tricks you need some lift by the kite so volume of the board doesn't matter at the moment then.
The positive thing about the quick movement it is you can pay more attention to the kite to keeps things work and then progress faster.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind, a bit more technical to avoid sinking just before the kite is re-sent, but surely worthy for progression as you mentioned.

Return to “Kitesurfing”