Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Efficient 15m for light wind? Edge?

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Efficient 15m for light wind? Edge?

Postby nicor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:13 pm

I been struggling for years to find good set up for light wind. I currently have a blade fat lady and riding a laluz 145 x 44, I'm about 176 pounds. This combination works pretty well. I say I get going at 8 knots easily, but just mowing the lawn. A few more knots then I can start to do tricks. Upwind at 8 knots is tricky. But my biggest beef is that I get overpowered rather early and the fat lady pulls very hard and not that much depower, would like to find a kite which is more manageable at the higher end but still get me going at the lower end.

I'm thinking about an efficient kite like a 15m ozone edge (or maybe a north rebel).

Can anyone with experience tell me if this kite will generate enough power at the low end (8 knots)? I read that it's not great during transitions in light wind and require apparent wind to generate its power. Higher end seem ok for my purposes.

I suppose I could always do a 17m too, but would rather go with a smaller kite if I can mow the lawn at 8, knots. Also planning on getting a nugget or sweet potato as my light board.

yuko
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Oka
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Efficient 15m for light wind? Edge?

Postby yuko » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:06 pm

I rode 2011 15m Edge for two seasons, mostly with the Sector, small 52cm most of the time. Same weight as you, I can say the Edge is very nice when it picks up, I had awesome sessions in 10-12knts+, again with the Sector. It transitions very well, surprisingly for this type of kite, talking about long carving toeside transitions, you just have to downloop it.
Considering you'll be coming off the 17m Fat Lady, 8knts would be the minimum for 15m I'd say, especially on a TT, I don't know, maybe you'll even need a bigger board, something fast , like Sector or another fast directional.
You may even find the Edge gutless at some point in it's lower range, FatLady got 2 more sqm and it's much lower aspect kite which makes it even torquier at low revs.

As a rule of thumb, 15m Edge will work when other 17m kite like Zephyr work, but it will not work when 17m Edges are out.
I changed my 15m for 17m Edge this year, yet have to test it in ultralight winds but so far I love it. Manageable in 15+ knts but not like the 15m used to be,. but gives me that litle extra oomfff I was missing in ULW previous years.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Maybe you can consider the Core XR3 LW. I own an XR2 15 and I really like it, I usually ride (in lw conditions) with a Nobile Flying Carpet and the 3 mts. lines extensions. I franly cannot state how many knots you need to stay upwind because on our lake the wind is far less close to the shore, so you can't trust the windmeter. I think in 10 knots you can ride smoothly and stay upwind, something more for jumping.
I also owned the first XR 17 but I sold it because I very often was too powered up, I prefer the 15.

s1buell_wl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby s1buell_wl » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:08 pm

I might be able to help lol

I have Edge 11m 15m and 19m

I'm not a light wind guy. I ride the 19m in 11-20kns

Best thing I can tell you is forget the 15m if you want to really light wind kite. Get a 18m kite min. The new bigger kites are light and easy to handle with great wind ranges.

You can see in my other post I'm not so happy with the 2013 Edge. It's a true race kite that is fragile with poor at best support.

I'm 80k and ride a 128 board (not into light wind). But my advice would be to
1. Get a 18m at least (you will never regret this, even a 17m is small in my view). I'm almost positive if you buy a 15m you will not get the results your after.
4. Race kites are not always the best low wind free ride kites
2. Shop around there is some really great light wind kites out there
3. Test some if you can.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:52 pm

If you're a good kite flyer, then the 15m Chrono is about the best 15m you can get.

lander
Frequent Poster

Postby lander » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:11 pm

I know this is not what you were asking about. But maybe also consider Draft 14. Because of only 3 struts it is light and turns fast but also have a great low end.
I have tried the Edge 15 but prefered the Draft. In the size 17 I use Edge (but 8 out of 10 times the 14 does the job). Everything bigger makes no sense for me, as I start planing as soon as the kite can be in the air. Just ordered the 2015 draft in size 14 and are selling the 2014. PM me for a offer...
Last edited by lander on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: All kinds of kites

Postby whiteout » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:24 pm

yes you will be able to ride a 15m edge at your weight and board selection in the lighter wind. the kite has a very large wind range. 2011 version is a bit more durable. the high aspect ratio will keep you going fast.
The 17m edge is even better for the low end and also can be rippin as the wind picks up. The 17m turns slower than the 15m naturally, so you can recover your planning speed in light winds using the 15m just fine and dependent upon skill, jump a bit higher than 17m as wind increases.

i prefer the shortest setting on the back lines for the lighter wind.
have fun!

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:32 pm

At 165 and i have a Nugget 2013 the only way to go is big for summer hot 8 knots
15 or 17 i would not even consider....go all out get a Core XR3 LW 19
At your weight it will depower up to 18 knots
Our winds often start at 8 kn and after 2 hours on the water the sea breeze can get to 18kn
I never go in to change kite because i am still under control
I go in when fun session is done
No need to wait for 9-10 or 11 kn with smaller (15m2) kite to start jumping good heights with tricks
Go big
:D

jplmain
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kailua
Style: freeride, surf
Gear: OR rise 15, RPM 10 8, griffin 13.5 argo, Kites
Mako King, 5-10" best board, 143-44 cabrina tt.

Postby jplmain » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Don't think about the rebel for light wind. The rebel is built with durability in mind so its kind of on the heavy side.In light wind its tough to keep it up and will pull you down wind if you make to much of a effort to afloat.Otherwise its a great kite with decent wind in its sails.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 pm

jplmain wrote:Don't think about the rebel for light wind. The rebel is built with durability in mind so its kind of on the heavy side.In light wind its tough to keep it up and will pull you down wind if you make to much of a effort to afloat.Otherwise its a great kite with decent wind in its sails.
Yes, you have to be pretty careful flying the Rebel to keep it in the air during extreme lulls. I don't have a light wind kite yet so I'm not really sure how much I'm missing. I picked up a Xenon Rayo 145 x 44 last year for light winds and it has definitely saved a lot of sessions for me. The Sector I can ride with less wind but a twintip is so much simpler to get to the beach and ride in shallow spots.

Return to “Kitesurfing”