Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Red, Dundee or Monk

Postby KiteDR » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Similar question here so I thought I'd bring this back up... 6 months later, which board for me?

I'm beginning/intermediate, riding upwind, working on transitions and small jumps now. Learned in Costa Rica with http://kiteboardingcostarica.com ...highly recommended by the way... And have since been fighting the chop here in Cabarete for another 20 hrs or so trying to progress. Which brings me to my board.

I'm not ignorant, I know I have a lot to continue learning, but I've read enough to know that the right board can be as, if not more important than the right kite. I didn't know his when I bought my board. I have a 2014 LF Focus 138, it's a fine board, I'm progressing on it and riding upwind, but aknowledging my inexperience I just don't think it's doing me any favors in this chop. I lose my edge, my knees start hurting considerably after 1-1.5 hrs... So I'm starting to consider other options.

The Monk sounds awesome, it's got the cool factor and everyone talks about it as the perfect all-arounder. Like COOL explained, another board may be right for me but the :angryfire: inside says Monk! However, I don't ever see myself focusing too much on freestyle, so maybe the Red or an older Dundee if I can find one?

Basically, I want a go-to TT to continue progressing on, to eat up chop and save my knees, for all-around style and conditions, and to be tons of fun as I gain more and more experience. As I progress I'll eventually get a directional for lighter winds and maybe one day learn to foil. But I just wanna have fun and keep progressing on a TT for now.

So, Monk, Red, Dundee... Or resolve that it's not the board it's me and face reality. :cry:

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:31 pm

I would say go for the Monk but the Dundee could be great too. The Monk is very smooth in chop and it is more of a freeride then freestyle board (Xover). If you like to ride hard and fast, jump and ride for many hours in choppy conditions, Monk is incredible. But if you do not go full speed as aggressive i would say, then the Dundee is a good choice. I had both boards last year, i prefer the Monk as it goes better with my style (freeride aggressive riding, big air, long sesssion and bad knees!).

PS: I never tried the Red so i can't compare.

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota

Postby KiteDR » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:26 pm

Thanks Seb, it'd be good to hear from someone who's ridden a red too.

Also... Where can you get a hold of Shinns in the US?

BJkitesurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BJkitesurf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:53 pm

Www.silentsports.com or toll free 1-800-661-7873 .they do carry Shinn boards. :thumb:

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:30 pm

I haven't actually ridden a Red but my main board is a Gintronic and the Red replaced it in the Shinn line. I can't say enough good things about the Gintronic, such an easy board to ride. I tried to switch to a Dundee 2 but I missed the ease of Gintronic too much so I stayed with it and sold the Dundee 2.

The Monk is also very similar to the Gintronic though so I'm sure you can't go wrong there. I think the main difference between the Monk and the Gintronic is the Monk likes to be ridden a little faster.

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:57 pm

The new monk took a big step forward. It's more efficient grippier and in honesty has taken a bit of every other board's niche, so much so that it's hard from a performance and practicality standpont to have reason to move from it...
I would suggest a new Monk Lover edition, unless you want the easiest life in the world, and that is still the RED...

more on the monk from the UK riders here;
http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfin ... 70&t=61321
pages of it! ;-)

KiteDR
Medium Poster

Postby KiteDR » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:23 am

Thanks guys, and Mike, I actually found that forum this afternoon, pushed me over the edge...

135x42 Monk Jungle Lover is on the way

COOP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Everywhere
Favorite Beaches: All Australian beaches.
Style: Freeride
Gear: North

Postby COOP » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:28 am

You won't regret it! :D

KiteDR
Medium Poster

Postby KiteDR » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:39 pm

COOP wrote:You won't regret it! :D
You were right! Loving it, highly recommended from here... Not that my stamp of approval means much :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”