Rare Poster
Local Beach: GUAM
Gear: ocean rodeo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

naish park 2014 tuning issues

Postby dave10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 am

Hello all, I'm new to naish kites so maybe I'm missing something. ive only have rode ocean rodeo kites so far. 2014 park, 12 M in 20kt winds i was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the steering being almost nothing the only way i could steer at all was with the bar pulled in all the way, and even then it was just enough to land it back down and check all the lines to make sure everything was hooked up right. i tuned under the bar to shorten the rear lines as much as i could under the bar to see if that would help, which it did but still almost nothing. Everything was at the standard setting before that, and the lines were all same length after i checked later on. depower strap was out all the way, even tried pulling in an inch or 2 to see if that made a difference for some reason. I sent an email to naish as well to see if they could help but haven't heard back from them yet, only been a couple of days though. I know i can start tying knots to improve it more, but for a new kite i wouldn't think that i would have to do that. so if there is anyone that can help or things that you can recommend that i try, all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guy

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Re: naish park 2014 tuning issues

Postby BudhaNl » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:29 am

First thing I'd do is check whether the lines are at equal length. They should be when you pull in the bar completely. Hope this helps.

dave10
Rare Poster

Postby dave10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:23 am

Thank you for the reply, that was my first guess as well, but they ended up all being equal in length.

Mikites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Petobego sand bar
Gear: Blade trigger and fat lady

Postby Mikites » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:36 am

Check the ride 14 thread, seems like they have the opposite issues. Major backstalling, too short rear bridles.. Want to swap read bridles with me? Lol

dave10
Rare Poster

Postby dave10 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Ahh man, thanks for pointing that out
thats just crazy. sounds like they got them switched up. i wonder if the bridles would match up :)

dave10
Rare Poster

Postby dave10 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:19 am

So i was able to get the bridle specs from Naish and I measured them all out, and they all matched up with what they gave me. Anyone have any suggestions on what else it could be?

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:10 am

a 12m kite in 20 knots, sounds about right to have no steering. i've flown a bunch of different kites that have to be fully sheeted in to get them to turn when it's trimmed properly at that wind speed

also keep in mind the park has super light bar pressure. that, coupled with the fact that the kite flies mostly off its front lines, means it might feel pretty loose at the top ends of its wind range

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:57 am

You're not using an Ocean Rodeo bar,are you ? I bought a razor about a year ago and tried flying it on a best bar. It back stalled really bad. A local kiter in my area that only rides ocean rodeo said that their bars are set up with the back lines longer. It would explain why you don't have any response from your bar. after i extended the back lines the razor flew fine.

rodeoclown
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Carkeek Park, Seattle
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Blade, Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Shop ambassador for Urban Surf in Seattle

Postby rodeoclown » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:09 am

I shortened the steering lines one knot under the floats on the stock Naish universal control bar and it made a huge difference

dave10
Rare Poster

Postby dave10 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:18 am

dyylan, thanks for the reply, i will keep that in mind for the next time i bring it out there, I'm going to take a video of it so i can send it to naish as they requested to better determine the problem. clint and rodeo thanks for the reply as well i've been using the naish universal bar, and when i had the kite out the other day i took it back down to tune under the bar settings, and thought about even tying extra knots, but i figured since its a new kite that maybe i was missing something that i wasn't familiar with since it being a new brand and all for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”