Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch Kites thoughts?

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Switch Kites thoughts?

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:52 am

Spoke to someone at beach here ( i am in aussie now) and they were like - the shop told me switch kites r rubbish, Marc Jacobs who's that? lol

Anyway I had a quiver of switch kites for 2-3 years - they took some abuse that is for sure. They were awesome. If anyone is encouraging youth in kiteboarding they should consider supporting switch because cost is major factor for not letting youth get into kiting.

I would go as far to say that the average age of kiters has actually gone up in the last few years fueled by increased costs of specialized equipment / kiting disciplines and due to the ease of riding modern kites for older riders.

I can see the emergence of the soul kiter the way things are going - non specialized minimal, simple, inexpensive kit... with beards - the simple life.

esg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Hawaii
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby esg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:21 am

I had the first generation Element and bar and lines. I didn't like it(them). Everyone else I met who had the first generations sold theirs for a different brand as well.

I'm curious about the latest editions, and suspect they're better, but as the saying goes, you don't get a second chance to make a good first impression. :nono:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:39 am

longwhitecloud wrote: I can see the emergence of the soul kiter the way things are going - non specialized minimal, simple, inexpensive kit... with beards - the simple life.
Isn't that the board riders maui strutless stuff?

Anyway Switch first came on the scene a bunch of locals got them. I haven't seen another brand before so consistantly falling out of the sky and getting washed in and torn to peices as the Switch brand. (im in a wave location)

Most of the guys that bought them sold them withing relatively short time period.

I put it down to 2 things.
One) The first generation of Switch kites perhaps not had some areas that needed improvement.
Two) The cheaper price appeal a lot to newbie kiters looking for a bargain. The higher % of newbie riders ment the kites spend more time in the water than other brands.

Any.... A few years on there's less local kiters using Switch. But the ones that do don't smash them into the water as often. One local couple change their ozone reo's for switch something and love them.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:13 am

plummet wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote: I can see the emergence of the soul kiter the way things are going - non specialized minimal, simple, inexpensive kit... with beards - the simple life.
Two) The cheaper price appeal a lot to newbie kiters looking for a bargain. The higher % of newbie riders ment the kites spend more time in the water than other brands.
them.
I think that's a very important factor. A lot of people got Switch because of the teamrider discount.

And if you buy a kite without testing it, there is offcourse a risk that you won't like how it flies.

So 'all the guys sold them' isn't really an argument imho. They shouldn't have bought it anyways. But that's just a risk they took.

I took the risk as well, and I liked the Element V1 for the most part. Way better than my previous Bandits, and better than some other kites I tested on demodays. Wasn't too fond of the very low bar pressure (well, that's what you get when a lot of people are complaining about the Method and Nitro bar pressure I reckon) and the lowend could've been better. Minor nitpicks though.

My advice: Try to find someone that let you demo his kite (a new demo riders system is being made) and look up some reviews, ignoring subjective opinions.

Build quality is very good, support as well. Spare parts come cheap.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:33 am

First gen of anything is usually not as good...

Build quality and attention to detail looked as good as Naish and better than Ozone.

slightlyimperfect
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Slave Lake
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby slightlyimperfect » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:22 pm

I got the Element 1 in 3 sizes and didnt care for it at all.
Wasnt like anything i had flown before and I couldn't get used to it.

But I gave the Nitro3 a shot and it is now my favourite thing. Flies exactly how I want it to with great relaunch and upwind ability. I came from flying ocean rodeo Rise and Razor and I love the Nitro3 more now.

Ill admit the price got me into Switch at first, but the Nitro3 compares with all the other big boy kites out there.

I havent tried E3 or Method at all...

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Every time I tried Cabrinha I asked myself why so many people on it. Every time I bought Naish I got burned but I am still open to both. I am getting 9m Element3 very very soon (kid just graduated). Recently I bought 6m Cabo, best thing from Best since Yarga. I bought it because of the price $399 and bingo, good kite for onshore wave which is rare. Element3 looks identical so fingers crossed and will have more to say soon.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:53 am

On average, what percentage of a kite's suggested retail price normally goes to the retailer?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:27 am

Dave_5280 wrote:On average, what percentage of a kite's suggested retail price normally goes to the retailer?
Depends on the brand, the discount you get for previous years sales, volume purchases...
even the one of product.

At least 25% markup, up to 100% from my records.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:21 pm

Like in any business 40%. Wholesale another 40% unless you are dealing in different currency where they like to play another 10-20% game. Switch model is simple perfect for this particular product.

Return to “Kitesurfing”