Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Forum for kitesurfers
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6412
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby plummet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:21 pm

RedSky wrote:
Nice! You realise that you and I are in a tiny minority flying these things in bugs. Everyone else, foils or Nasa wings. I'm never going back. How are you getting on with yours ?
Yep, minority report, that's me. I kitesurf on a mutant which is weird and landboard on a board with mobility scooter wheels thats also weird and buggy with leis,, which makes me an weirdo in all my kiting activities!

I love the lei in the buggy. you can do things that foils just wont do!. They are fast with heaps of depower. The only annoyance is ultra light wind launch/relaunch. I have 15m fs speed 3 for the silly light days and also a 6m quantum for shits and giggles too.

But when there's some real wind. Bring on the inflatable, hardwire to the buggy to hold more power and go for it!

RedSky
Medium Poster
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 am
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber, +Croydon
Gear: Genetrix Hydra
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby RedSky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm

plummet wrote:
RedSky wrote:
Nice! You realise that you and I are in a tiny minority flying these things in bugs. Everyone else, foils or Nasa wings. I'm never going back. How are you getting on with yours ?
Yep, minority report, that's me. I kitesurf on a mutant which is weird and landboard on a board with mobility scooter wheels thats also weird and buggy with leis,, which makes me an weirdo in all my kiting activities!

I love the lei in the buggy. you can do things that foils just wont do!. They are fast with heaps of depower. The only annoyance is ultra light wind launch/relaunch. I have 15m fs speed 3 for the silly light days and also a 6m quantum for shits and giggles too.

But when there's some real wind. Bring on the inflatable, hardwire to the buggy to hold more power and go for it!
Yeah, not losing its shape is a definite plus when flying with tubes. Hardwire would be considered odd over here but you lot downunder seem to make it work. I toyed with the idea once, largely because I'm getting largely around the waist and thought about ditching the harness to fit in the seat but I thought it too dangerous in high wind. How do you climb in the bug with the kite using hotwire, what's the technique on a high wind day if you don't mind sharing ?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 6412
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby plummet » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:13 pm

Well I think a harness is more dangerous once you can fly a kite properly. I found when super powered in a harness the kite kept trying to break my ribs with the side pull particularly if you get the kite behind the back wheel in silly manuvours!. hardwire saves you. Its only worse during a turtle. But rig a hardwire with releases and your sweet.

I have my hardwire with stainless carabina's on each rail. I set the buggy at 90deg to the kite, pack the front wheel, click in the hardwire to the upwind rail and teather launch the inflatable. Strol back to the buggy. get in hook the downwind rail carabina in and ride.

You can ride so much harder in a hardwire. Things that would pull you out of the bug in a harness is doable on a hardwire!.

RedSky
Medium Poster
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:47 am
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Camber, +Croydon
Gear: Genetrix Hydra
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby RedSky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:12 am

plummet wrote:Well I think a harness is more dangerous once you can fly a kite properly. I found when super powered in a harness the kite kept trying to break my ribs with the side pull particularly if you get the kite behind the back wheel in silly manuvours!. hardwire saves you. Its only worse during a turtle. But rig a hardwire with releases and your sweet.

I have my hardwire with stainless carabina's on each rail. I set the buggy at 90deg to the kite, pack the front wheel, click in the hardwire to the upwind rail and teather launch the inflatable. Strol back to the buggy. get in hook the downwind rail carabina in and ride.

You can ride so much harder in a hardwire. Things that would pull you out of the bug in a harness is doable on a hardwire!.
Interesting! I couldn't workout how you'd get the kite to the bug unless you dragged it with you by the CL, but if you're using the bug as a tether point then it makes sense. I still have my seat belt rig somewhere. I'll give it a go. Thanks!...Oh and sorry for the hijack. The stoke is on. :D

SalmonSlayer
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:48 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby SalmonSlayer » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:39 am

I am more picky about conditions, but the smile I have on my face after a session is just as big as ever. Kite board therapy is effective as ever.

I have been using a kite with a Nacra 5.2 catamaran to add some variety. Tinkering with different harness setups and making my own bars is fun too.

I have started repairing boards that were "lost causes" as a challenge and a way to learn board repair.

The gear inventory just keeps getting bigger.
6m
7m x2
9m
10m x 2
12m
13m
14m
16m

7 bars
6 harnesses including the best harness I have ever owned made by Engine
2 directionals
6 twin tips

User avatar
FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby FabsPH » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:51 am

always
Been kiting since the beginning and can't get enough of it. Pain, fubared knee or back, no problem.
Even a shitty 10 min sesh is better than not kiting.

Did not get to kite today,.. not stoked

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:59 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Homer Ak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby geopeck » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 am

Check. I had great riding today. It's sometimes tricky though, to have the excitement for moderate riding when peak moments keep piling up.

TheKiteDesigner
Rare Poster
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:59 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Long Reef NSW Australia
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Hawaii
NSW Australia Beaches
Style: Surf and Freeride
Gear: I make my own
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby TheKiteDesigner » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:41 pm

over 8 years kiting, the one thing I HATE about kiting is, it makes all the other sports I do seem lame, I use to love surfing, skiing, wind surfing, but now compared to an amazing day of kitesurfing they are lacking in many ways.

Also nothing beats designing your own kite and having a awesome time. It does suck that I cant describe my kite sessions with out saying a brand name,, I had the BEST kite session, I had an EPIC kite session, what next? Who is going to start Orgasmic Kite Surfing brand?

User avatar
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4374
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:12 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ontario
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:43 pm

TheKiteDesigner wrote:what next? Who is going to start Orgasmic Kite Surfing brand?
Its already out there. Coregasmic light wind freestyle action that will keep the motion in your ocean even when its so flat Supa EZ cant excite his better half.....

Their revolutionary rotary release is so unique it feels like someone else is doing it

And the the lightest, biggest, and stiffest donkey dick in the business. So good PinkNorthPride is having one surgically implanted.

User avatar
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4374
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:12 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Ontario
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who is still stoked after years of kiting?

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm

This dude is.
Don Monnot wrote: I kite year-round, so a good part of the year it's on snow/ice. Funny thing about warm/sunny--I get really stoked when it's cold and cloudy. I love that "butterflies in the stomach" feeling when it's cold, blowing 30, with 6 ft waves on Lake Michigan when I'm pumping up my little kite. I look at the lake in those conditions and say to myself "I can't believe I'm actually going to go play in that". The conditions look very intimidating. Then when I'm out there, it's just playtime. Still stoked!
Summed it up pretty well. Right there with you!!!


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], fat blokes can fly, Google [Bot], kiteswede, WOO Kite and 18 guests

cron