Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Tulum Mexico kiting in December?

Postby Osprey1 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:34 am

My family and I are planning to visit the Yucatan for a week in December and I was wondering which location on the peninsula is not over-touristed and has the best wind? Is Tulum a good option or is Cozumel or some other location better? If so what size kites should I bring? Should I bring my surfboard or only my tt?

Thank you :)

yojimbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: dillon
Style: kite surf
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tulum Mexico kiting in December?

Postby yojimbo » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:13 pm

Love tulum, no large hotels or resorts. Only very small, super hip Eco-resorts with tons of yoga classes everywhere. I believe its in a designated ecological sanctuary which limits the size of development, mainly because there is no govt provided water or power. Every "hotlel" has its own generator.

Tons of kiteboarding schools, rental places all up and down the beach. I was there during the off-wind season, so can't give you any advice on equipment. I didn't see any surfboards at the schools, only TT. Wind was directly on shore, but there was a place just outside of tulum to the north with side shore beach and waves.

I'm sure you know this already, windy season December through April.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:20 pm

Tulum is fantastic! Such beautiful beaches and a world of difference from the chaos of Cancun.

You can spend good money for beach side accommodations or, IMO look for some of the really cute and very comfortable places in town and then rent a bike to get to the beach. There are far better food options in town and it's a nice ride each morning.

I went there 2 years in a row - about 5 or 6 years ago - and there was a "kite club" towards the eastern edge of the beach which would also allow you to store your gear there for a small fee each night.

Assuming you're "normal" weight bring a 10, 12 and a light wind kite as my experience was that I was on the 12 most often but there were certainly days that it kicked up and there were others that it was quite light. Nice reef on the outside for some waves and smoother water inside.

If you're there, be sure to look up Marco Christophenelli (I'm sure I spelt that wrong) from Extreme Control. He's a hell of a nice guy who can talk in Spanish, English and Italian and often just rambles in all 3 at all times. He really is a fantastic guy to hang out with though, hilarious. He'll make sure you have a great time while you're there.

Hard2Handle
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle, wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus (3)
Bhoot (2)

Postby Hard2Handle » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:32 am

Went to Playa del Carmen a few years back for 3 weeks in December, very nice beaches and not a lot of surfers.
Mainly used big sized kites. Talked to a few locals and they also said it was mainly light wind.
Most of the locals used surfboards not TT's. I only had my TT.
We stayed at www.petitlafitte.com , a very cute place, not to big and right at a kitesurf spot, perfect.
Attachments
399244_266073353448141_2119017459_n.jpg

Mat Tor
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cuyo Yucatan, Playa del Carmen Mx
Favorite Beaches: El Cuyo Yucatan, Punta Maroma, Playacar
Style: Freeride, hydrofoil
Gear: levitaz hydrofoil
Elf joker 5 11 m
Ozone chrono 2 7 m

Postby Mat Tor » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:54 pm

Hola Osprey 1
May be it can help you for thes best choise.
El Cuyo, Yucatán, 2 hours from international Cancun Airport, good trade winds in December.
Please check my site , hope is useful to find your Mexican Home.
Loftcaribe.com

Mat

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:45 pm

2 years in Mexico during December and it was hit or miss, mostly light wind on the hit days on my 13m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”