DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Run away kite!

Postby DocDeuce » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:20 pm

Funny, We all have stories like this. Last year I was at our local kite spot, somehow this guy loses his kite and it blowing down the beach. I was closest to it so I start sprinting to get before it goes into the houses. I'm about arms length away and I hit a low area in the sand... full faceplant mouth full of sand. Didnt catch the kite, but I did get a standing ovation from my buddies.

DD

Puetz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Casuarina Beach
Rapic Creek
Lee Point
Buffallo Creek
Favorite Beaches: Old Woman Rock, Darwin
Oka Point, Sanuar, Bali
Phan Rang, Vietnam
Cemetary's, Mui Ne, Vietnam
Point Moore, Hells Gates, Geraldton, Western Australia
Rapid Creek, Darwin, Australia
Lee Point, Darwin, Australia (my local spot)
Nugas/Lakey Peak, Sumbawa
Marion Bay, Tasmania
Long Beach, Robe, South Australia
Style: Foil/Wave/Freeride
Gear: Duotone 13m Juice 2020
Duotone Neo 9m
North Rebel 2014 7m
Duotone Pace 4'10 Foilboard with Carve 950 + GT 90cm mast
North Nugget 5'3" Surfboard
Cyclone Surfboard 6'0"

Postby Puetz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:42 pm

... this happened to a mate,,, turned up to beach and saw mate rigging up at another spot, about 2 km's upwind so decided to go check it out. Slowly jumped back into the car and as I'm driving around I meet up with him half way and he's in a panic. He didn't make sense, something about 'new' and 'kite' and 'pump' and 'waaaaa' or something to that affect so I turned around to see what's up, I follow him.

Get back to beach carpark where I was just at and I see him jump out of his car, trip, get up then high-tail it to beach.

I hurry up a bit and just as I get to the clearing I see him strolling towards, hands on hip, kite sitting on the rocks, deflated. I get to him, he's standing there looking at the limp kite, hands on hips, standing over it and I say, whose kite, I don't recognise it????

Yeah it's mine, the new one! :o

Same as posts above, kite got away from pump leash falling off only he chased it for nearly a kilometer before he gave up and turned around to get his car. Damn thing slid nearly 2km only it stopped on some very sharp rocks and coral. Hundreds of little tears in the LE, brand new barely 1 hour old never flown kite.

Doh!!!! :cry:

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:47 pm

hahaha ive had this happen too. I only wish someone got it on video.

25 knots pumping up a brand new 7m switchblade. As i unhook from the pump and start walking with it, gust drops, kite slips down the hand then gets taken by another gust. I run as fast as I can to grab it before it hits the trees 50 m away. Grabbed it just before the trees.

Same day, A surfboard gets picked up and starts flying across the beach tip to tail, guy trying to grab it and backing away every time the fins come swinging around. Kinda funny but dangerous at the same time!

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:23 pm

one thing I've done from time to time is to use the leash from the harness to tether the kite while pumping. Fail proof

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:54 pm

Not a tool at all. Things can go south in stronger winds a lot faster than in the lighter stuff. Stronger wind is far less forgiving of mistakes, obviously enough.

Another thing to watch for is when you land in advance of squalls. Your kite, even somewhat anchored by sand can be ripped off the sand and blown offshore with wind direction changes that can commonly come with such things. Best course is to pack your kite up or at least roll it up with battens still inflated and anchor the lot before the gust front hits.

jbdc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ashbridges Bay, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Hanlan's Point, ON
Favorite Beaches: Hanlan's Point, ON
Cherry Beach, ON
Ashbridges Bay, ON
Delray Beach, FL
Style: Intermediate
Gear: 2012 Pansh Aurora 15m
2010 Slingshot Octane 13m
2011 Cabrinha Crossbow 9m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 7m
2012 Ocean Rodeo Cypher 5m

2010(?) Imagine Surf Fat Fish 5'2"
2011 Nobile NBL 142x42cm
2012 Ocean Rodeo Mako FR 135x37cm

2004 Gaastra Force 14m
2002 Liquid Force Switch 185cm

Postby jbdc » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:43 pm

I've never trusted the kite pump to hold things down when rigging, I was always afraid of the kite getting away on me like the stories here. A few years ago I started setting up tether bags for launching and landing (even if there are other people around to launch, who knows if they'll be there to help land).

I now use the sand-filled bag, a long tether with a small carabiner attached to the pump leash point on the kite. It's long enough that I can flip the kite over with it still attached and only disconnect it when I'm ready to launch. Works a charm, haven't had to chase down a kite yet.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:39 pm

KiteCulture wrote:one thing I've done from time to time is to use the leash from the harness to tether the kite while pumping. Fail proof

Now that's a bloody simple and obvious solution..

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:22 am

jbdc wrote:I've never trusted the kite pump to hold things down when rigging,.
Well I guess I'm blessed at my local with a non windy grassy pump up area! I didn't even think about a run away kite because 95% of the time its not an issue for me.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 190lb
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12
Long Ocean 136, Cyclone 138, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:44 am

Sorry to say, but I've snapped my kite completely off the lines three times. Once was in gusty slightly offshore conditions, and yes, I should not have been kiting. Anyway, self launched on a near deserted beach, then dropped kite in a brief lull, then powered in a gust, all so quick there was nothing I could do. The kite powered up so hard it simply snapped all four lines, the steering lines at the pigtails on the kite, the center lines where they joined the middle line from my harness. I hardly felt a jerk, and the kite was gone. Off it went out to sea, and I thought it was gone forever, no great loss as it is an old Waroo 7m. But then I noticed after rolling a bit it landed as if being drift launched, and with the seaward tip raised, so it was working its way along the beach, just outside of the waves. So I trotted along the beach watching it, and a couple of miles later as the beach finally curved outward, a wave finally caught it and I recovered it.

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:20 pm

One of my first experiences kiting on smooth, hard-packed snow taught me how quickly an un-anchored kite can drift in even light wind. I tell my cardiologist when I do my stress test it's one of only two reasons for me to run--the other is to chase down a runaway kite! He also tells me that every time I kite I probably do my own version of a stress test!

Don

Return to “Kitesurfing”