Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Going to Portugal this weekend for a few days...

Forum for kitesurfers
Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Going to Portugal this weekend for a few days...

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:56 am

Staying in and around Lagos.

Anyone going to be around or know what the wind will be like?

Thanks

Tony

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Going to Portugal this weekend for a few days...

Postby fdvj » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:12 am

Have a look at what wind finder is saying for Alvor, Then add a 1/3 to it is normally about right, The wind usually starts at 12pm an builds to 7pm, the lagos side is much gustier as it is in the shadow of hills, You would be better starting on the alvor side and kiting from the sea round to entrance to the lagoon and walking across to the lagoon its self. Neilson who runs the kite centre is usually on the beach at alvor and will give you advice. The sea is off shore but there is rescue supplied by the kite centre if they are on the beach, check first. The lagoon can be mega gusty if the wind gets up to 30 knts . but the area in the sea next to the harbour entrance seems to have the cleanest wind and flat water.
You can get into the lagoon on the north side but it is frowned on. The school teaches on the sand island in the middle, so try and keep out of the way.
The sea is colder than the uk so you will need a shortie unless your personal insulation is up to the job.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:36 am

fdvj wrote:Have a look at what wind finder is saying for Alvor, Then add a 1/3 to it is normally about right, The wind usually starts at 12pm an builds to 7pm, the lagos side is much gustier as it is in the shadow of hills, You would be better starting on the alvor side and kiting from the sea round to entrance to the lagoon and walking across to the lagoon its self. Neilson who runs the kite centre is usually on the beach at alvor and will give you advice. The sea is off shore but there is rescue supplied by the kite centre if they are on the beach, check first. The lagoon can be mega gusty if the wind gets up to 30 knts . but the area in the sea next to the harbour entrance seems to have the cleanest wind and flat water.
You can get into the lagoon on the north side but it is frowned on. The school teaches on the sand island in the middle, so try and keep out of the way.
The sea is colder than the uk so you will need a shortie unless your personal insulation is up to the job.
Great advice, thank you.

I am bringing my shortie though I am quite well insulated.

Thanks

Tony

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:07 am

The water is unusually cold

I'm in a place in Algarve where I typically only use a lycra.

This year I'm using a (low cost) 3'2'' together with a neoprene lycra

by the way, there is a new wake park near Lagos, Wake Salinas is the name. Could be fun.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 am

Tiago1973 wrote:The water is unusually cold

I'm in a place in Algarve where I typically only use a lycra.

This year I'm using a (low cost) 3'2'' together with a neoprene lycra

by the way, there is a new wake park near Lagos, Wake Salinas is the name. Could be fun.
Thanks for the info.

Sunday is looking really good with the wind from the east south east.

Will the lagoon at Alvor be good in that direction?

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:15 pm

sorry, just went to Alvor once, better give the local school a call

SE is what we call Levante. Where I'm staying, Tavira, some Km East of Alvor, that means no wind, some waves &, praise the gods, better water temperature

Return to “Kitesurfing”