Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Forum for kitesurfers
sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Freestyle Freeride Airstyle Defined Please.

Postby sijandy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:46 am

Re read the thread and see how ridiculous and pathetic the posts caining Starsky are, all the guy done was answered the OP's original question and one or two others that popped up along the way. I don't think he was criticising airstyle at all. I swear you guys make all this shit up in your heads, other than the odd one liner from dyyylan and jens it's pretty much a wakestyle bashing conversation amongst yourselves haha. Toby's comments suggest he didn't read the thread at all before weighing in... only on kiteforum :lol:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm

And you my friend are exactly the same as Starksy with respect to my last post, but unlike Starksy your posts are generally stupid to the point of absurd. I've watched ya mate, always having a dig here and there, thinking you have some grip on irony and humour. I'm sure the audience in your own head is applauding loud and clear. Like attracts like I suppose.

sijandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: kites and boards

Postby sijandy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 pm

Westozzy wrote:And you my friend are exactly the same as Starksy with respect to my last post, but unlike Starksy your posts are generally stupid to the point of absurd. I've watched ya mate, always having a dig here and there, thinking you have some grip on irony and humour. I'm sure the audience in your own head is applauding loud and clear. Like attracts like I suppose.
Fair enough, but kind of irrelevent to the point i was making trying to make about this thread which i think was reasonable no?
Westozzy wrote:I'm sure the audience in your own head is applauding loud and clear.
Yeah they can't get enough of my bullshit! :D

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:53 pm

i'll try again lol

freestyle - free style - do whatever you want

airstyle - only tricks in the air

hooked in freestyle- the REAL future alternative!!! do anything you want as long as hooked in and risky as hell. daaamn its going to b sooo sick - a huge darkslide straight into a violent front downloop - tweaked out like a huge raley (hooked in) - then into a front tweaked grab kiteloop transition - into a huuuge front upright with a superpowered kite low landing ready powered for an immediate hooked in tantrum .. u get the idea..... complete carnage - gonna be sick! Riders can go back to much smaller boards so you can land half submerged and keep riding arther than smash your ankles on the surface with huge footprint wakeboards. Boardoffs will be scored low unless kitelooping with the kite low at the time.

awo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela, ubatuba
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara, prea, barra grande piaui
Style: Begginer freestyle
Gear: core, naish, rrd and flysurferu

Postby awo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:02 pm

freestyle/ when you are not tied to your office. Wave/ when you still have curly hair.Old style/ you have pain after a session.freeride/you ask for your father's car.Am I correct?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Westozzy wrote: But what I would like to add is Toby is someone who is part of the re-emergence of old school (let's not mix words shall we) and indeed taking the roots of kiting and trying to generate interest in young riders taking it further than it has ever been.
Yes, lets not mix words. Old School is and always has been cool as shit. Every kiter knows it. It was the collective style of almost all the vanguard of the sport back when the sport was new to all of us. Big air never ever ever ever gets tired. Its just awesome and nothing will ever change that.

Airstyle is not Old School. It is a name coined by one guy to describe that guy's vision for the sport. It is actually pretty easy to visually differentiate between the worlds best airstyler and every other old school rider in history. Two seconds into a clip and even the relatively green can see there is a distinct aesthetic difference. Big air will have its renaissance with or without airstyle. And in light of all the evidence that is splashed in your face every time you open kireforum, its pretty evident that airstyle has dick all to do with getting young riders interested. It's one mans show, one mans mission, one man's video and nothing more than a vain bid at some kind of legacy. Have a look at the airstyle show banner add at the bottom for the Egypt event. I dont see any young riders on there! In fact there is a small empty space just beside the highly original bull with wings logo that is just creaming for one more picture of the duke!
Westozzy wrote: And he rides at the near or close to the highest level at this chosen discipline...and it is all on video to show his strengths and weaknesses.
You got that right.
Westozzy wrote: You on the other hand do not ride at the highest level of your chosen kiting discipline
Right again. Whats actually funny about that is most you haters assume completely incorrectly my chosen discipline is wake style.......
Westozzy wrote:And yet you choose at every occasion to denigrate this enthusiastic and passionate approach and yet, in the end you are just a hack like the rest of us comparatively speaking.
right again! I do choose to denigrate the approach and not the actual riding. Hosting a one off competition and trying to brand it a world champs..... that was worth denigrating. Pushing and pushing to get your baby included and then complaining about judging when younger better riders beat you squarely is worth denigrating. Hell, why not. Flapping your arms like a big bald bird! Yeah, that shit is worth denigrating.
Westozzy wrote: Every discipline deserves the opportunity to grow and develop. Not to be knocked down and denigrated by near hacks without a clue.
finally your off on that one. I most certainly have a clue and am no near hack. I'm a full on hack. A competent one at that. No mobes here, but comfortably hacking it strapless in ocean conditions that relegate 90% of kiters to the sand dunes.
Westozzy wrote: That's the issue here..your detrite (damn another word I just made up) attitude towards this style, at every given opportunity and that doesn't make sense to me.
Well, I've said it all, and will probably earn a ban for it. You can take it or leave it, love it or hate it, but its never been the fact that Toby rides the way he does that gets me critical. Its that he wants to jam it down our throats as somehow representative of the sport, that his style is somehow the roots of the sport when it clearly isn't and that the way he tries to cement himself into the history of the sport as the savior who brought back big air is simply nauseating. I say go girl, give that fat lady on the beach the show she's always wanted, but quit trying to tell me it's our roots, or our future. I for one, know better.

Tone wrote:Claiming wakestyle and his photo is of him doing a railey with his kite at noon...

pmsl.
please... that avatar hasn't been changed in near a decade!

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:27 pm

once again Starsky owns the forum.

to any that claim that we are hard core wakestyle only riders, find a thread or a line that supports that claim. there are none.

never met Starsky , don't know who he is but I bet you couldn't tell us apart on the water.

tone, you are worthless. i have never seen a post of yours that is worthwhile all you do is call out people when you don't know shit. go ride your foil

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:33 pm

jens wrote:once again Starsky owns the forum.

to any that claim that we are hard core wakestyle only riders, find a thread or a line that supports that claim. there are none.

never met Starsky , don't know who he is but I bet you couldn't tell us apart on the water.

tone, you are worthless. i have never seen a post of yours that is worthwhile all you do is call out people when you don't know shit. go ride your foil
oh boo hoo hoo.

I was merely taking the piss out of Starsky, a little punt. Not to be taken serious.

You suggest I don't know shit, am worthless because I call people out, yet that's what you have just done to me.

It's the internet, princess.... don't take it so seriously.

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach

Postby DocDeuce » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:19 pm

Man... I could slap myself silly reading all 6 pages of this. Ill never get that 15 minutes back, what a waste of time. well, pump up or foil up or boot up or strap up!!! Its ALL good, get wet and have fun!!!

DD

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:17 pm

i want to go back to the freestyle definition people have been using in this thread. So just to get serious for a minute and off the religion of which style is best.

if I remember all the arguments correctly freestyle is whatever competition style is at the moment, so back in the day freestyle was boardoffs but as the pkra moved to only wakestyle, "freestyle" became wakestyle. This means wakestyle is a definite term, very clear it's what the wakeboarders do but with a kite, but freestyle is an evolving term, which right now is mostly wakestyle.

So if I go on the north website and look for freestyle it says that freestyle is for megaloops and hangtime and promote the vegas as the kite. Which is so confusing. Now if I go to the slingshot website they promote the RPM as their freestyle kite and and the fuel as their megalooping kite. liquid force calls the hifi x their freestyle megaloop new school kite. Which I guess means megaloops + wakestyle. cabrinha promotes the switchbalde radar & chaos as their freestyle kites, and the radar contra switchblade and chaos as their wakestyle.

So I think it is pretty clear what the kite manufacturers consider freestyle. To them, freestyle is a megalooping kite first. Secondly it is decent at wakestyle. But megalooping is what freestyle is to them first of all.

That's why I like the term wakestyle or megaloop style so much better than this "freestyle" term. If you want to say you are megaloop style kiter why not just say megaloop?

Also not a fan of the term "free riding" which doesn't mean anything at all when the kite manufacturers use it. I think it means the kite has good relaunch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”