GoPro Hero 4

Forum for kitesurfers
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

GoPro Hero 4

Postby shawn13 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:02 pm

The highlight feature is actually interesting.

"The daddy of the family, Hero4 Black, has two key features that fans of GoPro have been waiting for since the Hero3: 4K video recording at 30 fps, and 1080p now at 120 fps (you can also grab 2.7K at 50 fps!). The Hero3 did 4K, but only at 15fps, making the feature less useful for professional projects. The Hero3+ didn't improve on that (and perhaps suggests why that wasn't branded the Hero4). But, it looks like GoPro figured out how to deliver full 30 fps 4K without ravaging the battery (more on that battery later). Other new features include a "highlight tag" which allows you to mark a key moment in your video via the WiFi button on the side. If you're shooting hours of video at a time, this will make finding those sweet airs/best waves much easier once you import the video into GoPro's Studio software."

http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/29/gopr ... 4k-camera/

finnkc
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario Great Lakes
Style: freeride
Gear: 2012 Blade Fat Lady 17m
2012 Liquidforce Envy 12m
2011 Naish Bolt 10.5m
2011 Crazyfly Allround 145x41
2011 Naish Haze 141x41
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: GoPro Hero 4

Postby finnkc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:19 pm

4k is cool but I want 1080 @ 240 fps ... seems the image sensor can't handle it tho. Also Battery life is not any better.

http://gizmodo.com/gopro-hero4-hands-on ... 1640225592

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: ¤°

Postby POACHER » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 pm

My timing has finally paid off for a new GoPro.....

I'm still rocking the OG Hero. I can't kill the thing no matter how hard I try. I finally solved the fogging thing with a different case too. It still produces good quality video. 720P at 60fps looks great on my 65" tv and doesn't eat a ton of storage or battery.

I do want the new camera for the remote and better low light quality though. So I'll pony up for one of these. I've read all morning on them and I think the Hero 4 Silver will suit me fine. I don't need 4K........ever. Unless you're a Hollywood movie producer or TV show, why would anyone want 4K? It's file sizes are HUGE and you need a fricken' NASA computer to edit any of it.
I'm a little bummed that the Hero 4 didn't come with image stabilization???

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:14 pm

Battery is still horrible and with my experiences with the 3+ I'll be looking at different brands when I start shopping for a new cam.

=Jason-

Rotule
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Favorite Beaches: Plattsburgh City Beach, NY
Gear: Core Section 4M, Section 2 6M. GTS 3 9M
Moses Onda 71 HL

Postby Rotule » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:57 pm

I wonder how the new Hero(basic, not silver or black) is compared to my Hero 2, at 130$ its pretty much a no brainer...

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:04 pm

logsdon wrote:Battery is still horrible and with my experiences with the 3+ I'll be looking at different brands when I start shopping for a new cam.

=Jason-
I found that with the Hero3+ the battery was much improved. I used to find the battery to be such a hindrance that I had to use the external battery pack. With the 3+, I have the pack but rarely use it.

I also try to use the remote as much as possible and power down the camera when not in use. That makes a huge difference.

The one thing that has sucked though on the 3 and 3+ is the wifi performance. They broke something there and the cameras routinely lose sync with the remote which is an issue when your camera is 60 feet over your head. The Hero2 wifi backpack works perfect.

Anyway, hopefully they fixed the wifi on the 4+.

The ability to mark an interesting moment by pushing the wifi button is good. Too bad it probably doesn't work on the remote, though.

iroddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Shoreham

Postby iroddy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:52 pm

I'm not too fussed about the new camera features, my Hero 3 takes great quality images and videos.

The things that annoys me about Go Pro's are.... And I'm sure you guys have had warranty claims like me.

- Battery Life
- Reliability
- Reliability
- Reliability

Battery life doesn't last at all, especially with the wifi remote.
I've had so many issues with my Hero 3, I find it unreliable in terms of whether or not it will turn on!!!

Ecoastprock
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Folly Beach, Charleston, South Carolina
Favorite Beaches: Pavones, County Park, North End, 28.5 & Moletrees
Style: Surf
Gear: Slingshot Globetrotter 4 10
5 8 Libtech Waterboard
5 8 Coil Industries

Postby Ecoastprock » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:39 pm

4k if used properly is the most powerful tool on the gopro 3, 3plus and 4. When recording in 4k you can use post processing digital zoom and edit pans and zooms into your videos. The main complaint from gopro (other than battery life) is that the wide angle lens doesn't work unless you are right in front of the camera. Record in 4k and you can zoom in further than your digital camera and still maintain 1080p.

there is no zoom on the camera in this video, all zoom was done in post processing.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:12 am

iroddy wrote:I'm not too fussed about the new camera features, my Hero 3 takes great quality images and videos.

The things that annoys me about Go Pro's are.... And I'm sure you guys have had warranty claims like me.

- Battery Life
- Reliability
- Reliability
- Reliability

I've had so many issues with my Hero 3, I find it unreliable in terms of whether or not it will turn on!!!
My 3 was awful. They rushed that camera out. I had so many issues with it...GoPro replaced the camera twice and the remote once and I finally gave up, sold the 3, and bought the 3+. Which has been fine for the most part other than a lot of WIFI glitches.

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:39 am

CaptainArgh wrote:
iroddy wrote:I'm not too fussed about the new camera features, my Hero 3 takes great quality images and videos.

- Battery Life
- Reliability
- Reliability
- Reliability

My 3 was awful. They rushed that camera out. I had so many issues with it...GoPro replaced the camera twice and the remote once and I finally gave up, sold the 3, and bought the 3+. Which has been fine for the most part other than a lot of WIFI glitches.
My has been riddled with issues too. Replaced twice and the remote replaced once. Now whenever I turn the camera on within 5 minutes it is so hot its too hot to touch so the case fogs up in minutes now.

Return to “Kitesurfing”