Gopro hero3+
Camrig
Sony playsport
Brand Affiliation: Working on one
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best weather app

Postby fastrider » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Does anyone have any good weather apps for advanced weather predictions ?

Windguru seems not as true most of the time

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Best weather app

Postby RickI » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:47 am

fastrider wrote:Does anyone have any good weather apps for advanced weather predictions ?

Windguru seems not as true most of the time
Beyond three days and without a human meteo checking the forecast, how about a Ouija Board? In my part of the US, the NWS site does an ok job but performance will vary with the area, out to about three days, beyond that it is often any one's guess. There are errors inside three days as well, just fewer of them.

BigBafana
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BigBafana » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:40 pm

how about wisuki? my absolute favorite right now for user friendliness and design and they also have an awesome website: wisuki.com
Somewhat new I think but imho the most beautiful looking app I've ever seen for a wind app.

Others that I have looked at are WindAlert, WindGuru, Windfinder and one that isn't really for advanced weather predictions but for current conditions with videos that people take directly at the spot called weendy.

DocDeuce
Medium Poster
Local Beach: IOP, Sullivans Island, Folly Beach
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DocDeuce » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:32 pm

we use Wind alert here on the east coast of the US... like said before nothing is perfect. Weather is not static but dynamic and changing constantly. i use it as a basic guideline.... the rest of the i use my experience and weather patterns that i am used too, to make educated decisions when and when not to kite.

DD

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:29 pm

By far for the great lakes Weatherflow aka Windalert/iwindsurf/ikitesurf/ifish/sailflow etc is the most accurate forecast. I am a big fan of them for a few reasons
1. They actually pay meteorologists to forecast the next days wind, and 3 days in advance, they actually explain why they are forecasting what they are forecasting and they also provide a generalized blog for broader discussion of weather systems.
2. They are the only website/company which installs their own weather stations, which are imho way superior to NOAA stations simply because windalerts sensors report every 10 - 15 minutes, while all of the NOAA stations around here anyhow only report once an hour and usually 20 minutes past that hour so if it reporting for 12pm - 1pm it reports at 1:20pm.... USELESS!

While everyone else is regurgitating the same grib data and models, weatherflow is actually creating their own content and data flow. 10$ a month is a small price to pay when you live in one of the most difficult spots in the world to predict weather and you have at least an hour if not two of driving just to show up... saved tons of gas this year because of Weatherflows private sensors.
Well done Weatherflow

Return to “Kitesurfing”