Forum for kitesurfers
BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

2013 RRD Obsession....jumping beast

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Just bought a 2013 RRD Obsession 9m and had it out in 30 to 35mph today. Was very very impressed by the jumping of this kite, it easily matches the ozone edge and Epic screamer. I am suprised more people have not mentioned this kite for big airs. If you love big lofty jumps this is one of the best out there. I have owned loads of kite brands over the years and buy all my own gear, so no pimping here,

Pros - very good jumping,big amounts of float, refined feeling,smoother than the 2012 obsession. Power much smoother than previous obsessions. Far more stable than the 2012 (which is an unstable kite for sure!)

cons - slower in the turn than the 2012/2011 obsession. Not sure how good this would be unhooked (yet to test it). Kite loops are a bit lame on this and slowish. Poor safety release in very high winds (double front lines). Too many pullies really (4 on the whole kite).

Interested to hear others thoughts?

fcwatersports
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks Poole
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay CPT Silver sands,WA
Gear: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Cabrinha, Naish, Wainman, Ride Engine, Pro-limit
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 RRD Obsession....jumping beast

Postby fcwatersports » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:40 am

Over the years i have used RRD Obsession and since the first release, they have always been a fantastic kite, i think i have also genuinely boosted the highest on an obsession than any other kite, apart from a Naish X2 back in the day. and yes i am always surprised they don't get as much credit for there kites. I think there major issue is actually there graphics, some times they look a little too much, the 2013 was the best graphic they have released in the 3 colours with the big logo.
You asked about unhooking, and actually once they are trimmed they un hook really well. plenty of pop and actually you can get a decent bit of slack to pass the bar.
I had 12,9,7 the 12m was a powerhouse, the biggest problem i found was that they were almost too powerful so the 7m was just too much in 30kts where other brands 7m would be fine. and i really didn't want to have to go to a 6m just for the sake of those super windy days. I think yes the Bar needs improving, especially the safety system. but really if people demo them they are exceptionally impressed with the kite. (i am not pimping them as we don't even Sell them in store)

Seawolf
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Wolfbeach
Gear: Elements 5

Postby Seawolf » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:12 am

Definetly the graphics!
Such a shame if iTs a good kite. And also a pitty that one would choose fashion over function.
But riding a kite that reminds me of theese isnt a obtion.
CHUPA_CHUPS_lollipops_120pcs_in_bag.jpg_350x350.jpg
CHUPA_CHUPS_lollipops_120pcs_in_bag.jpg_350x350.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 1138 times

Cabrina also had the nearly the same going for theese past years...

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:49 pm

yeah I completely agree with all of the above.
The obsessions can be very powerful and I would not really want smaller than a 9m as I think in really high winds they are a bit of a hand full. Currently riding a 7m RPM as my high wind kite and feels a lot safer to take out in 40+mph.

regarding graphics - I used to be unsure about the RRD but now absolutley love them. Some of the designs are very loud but fantastic.. If you want a plain kite but an ozone or core.

Return to “Kitesurfing”