Favorite Beaches: sandbanks, presqu'ile, sable beach
Style: surf style
Gear: peter lynns
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Los Barriles

Postby robrider » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:20 pm

Anyone been to Los Barriles? I'd like to know how it really is, I'm looking for a spot not too crowded with medium size waves and safe conditions (no shallow reef, rocks etc...).
Thanks!

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Re: Los Barriles

Postby waynepjh » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:29 pm

That place is ok. Mostly wind swell that is small. Water is choppy. I have more fun in la ventana cause it's windier and there can be some decent waves if it blows all night. Jmo

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core

Postby Windstoked » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 am

Los Barriles is great!
It is kitable 5 days a week December through April.
The El Norte wind gradually picks up each day, and by 11:00 it is usually good. It shuts off dramatically around 4-5. It blows sideshore, and the swell curves in for a bit of break in some spots.
The shore is sandy or pebbles without large rocks or obstructions.
It blows 2-3 knots higher on average than La Ventana, because the Isla Ceralvo blocks the wind there.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:28 pm

Both places are fun. Barrilles is definitely not windier than la ventana. The island offshore creates a Venturi effect and makes it windier in ventana. The scene and people down there is great. I have been going there for almost 15 years but I prefer different riding conditions now a days.

Windstoked
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Thermalito Afterbay and Sherman Island, California
Gear: Core

Postby Windstoked » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:54 pm

My statement that the wind in La Ventana is lower is partially based on personal comparisons of sensor data when I'm down there, and if you look at Ikitesurf's computer forecasts, LB and LV almost always look identical except LV shows a couple knots lower.
The most experienced kiter I know lives in LV part-time, and he said the island is the reason LV is lower.

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:47 pm

La Ventana is only windier when it's a light to low medium wind day. On a solid wind day Barriles is a little further out in the sea of Cortez and will be winder.

The main difference between the two is, on a good wind day Barriles has great ocean swell right on shore, in La Ventana you have to go a mile off shore to get even close to big waves. Los Barriles is the clear winner on 20+ mph days and for the more advanced riders. On a good wind day if you go a half mile out in Los Barriles you will be in " HOUSE HIGH " waves with football field wide troughs. It's truly eye popping.

La Ventana is less choppy and has better wind on light wind days. La Ventana is the clear winner for beginners and when the wind is 18 mph and less.

Los Barriles is a hour drive closer to the airport and closer to places ( Rincon for example ) that are great fun when the wind blows from the south East, which doesn't happen that often, but when it does you'll have a great day. In Ventana you'll be bike riding.

Los Barriles is more of a real town with more to do at night, but Ventana probably has a younger atmosphere, mainly in and around the campground.

You will have a great time in either place..........

katumba1
Rare Poster

Postby katumba1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:37 am

Heading down to Ventana next week. Anyone down there can give some guidance on the wind forecast? Windfinder.com is saying basically calm until later in the week.

Should I postpone or will there be wind in afternoons as usually? Thanks!

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:44 pm

My experience in Ventana was that if the sky was clear and the forecast out of the north, even if ikitesurf said 10 it blew 20+ by lunch. I had to rent a seven. Similar forecast in barriles ,same thing happened.

U should go

katumba1
Rare Poster

Postby katumba1 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:00 pm

jens wrote:My experience in Ventana was that if the sky was clear and the forecast out of the north, even if ikitesurf said 10 it blew 20+ by lunch. I had to rent a seven. Similar forecast in barriles ,same thing happened.

U should go

Cool thanks! was getting a bit worried. Excited!

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:13 pm

katumba1 wrote:Heading down to Ventana next week. Anyone down there can give some guidance on the wind forecast? Windfinder.com is saying basically calm until later in the week.
I spend 5 months every season in the LaV campground. The reason the wind forecasts for LaV are generally low is because they don't account for the thermal kick we get due to the desert valley heating up in the afternoon just to the south of our bay. When the thermal kick is working, the actual wind can easily be twice the forecast!

Check out Mike Godsey's excellent discussion and graphics on Baja wind -
http://blog.weatherflow.com/understanding-baja-winds/

Return to “Kitesurfing”