anyone else like a bit of every style?

Forum for kitesurfers
johnm
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

anyone else like a bit of every style?

Postby johnm » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:54 am

some pretty polarised views on this forum - just wondering how many people like to do a bit of everything?

I'm getting a bit of an old fart now - and pretty ordinary at each :oops: :lol: but i love riding waves, hooked and unhooked freestyle, occasional bit of oldschool and even hit some obstacles - hell sometimes i just ride around doing nothing but try and get the sun to make a rainbow in my spray :roll:

is this allowed? :wink:

eldadgold
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: anyone else like a bit of every style?

Postby eldadgold » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:53 am

Me too :thumb:

jens
Medium Poster
Local Beach: madison wi

Postby jens » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:12 pm

you hit the nail on the head. Take advantage of all the options available to you. In my opinion Kiteboarding is the best silent sport because of all the different ways one can approach almost any type of conditions.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:33 pm

100% agree, I like to ride waves, freeride, loop, freestyle. It all depends on the conditions of the day.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:46 pm

johnm wrote:some pretty polarised views on this forum

You'd be surprised at how false that presumption really is. When there is a consistent bias your going to get a consistent rebuttal. Doesn't mean that 99% of those offering up a reality check are not just like you and embrace virtually all styles.

Much of the critical comments on this forum don't stem from a dislike of any particular style but rather a particular style of promotion. ie. I have never read a single negative comment directed at say Tom Hebert.

It's one thing to say we should be accepting and welcoming of events and competitions of all styles, but when its consistently underscored with negative bias regarding where the true pro level of the sport is today, That the sport has somehow lost its way, or claims that what one particular sect has to offer is what a sport audience truly wants to see, it all gets a bit transparent and eventually distasteful.

Truth is, kiteboarding has never been better. Its got massive amplitude and courage as the focal point of one of its most popular annual events. Its got a pro scene, comparable to any board sport out there when it comes to talent, skill, power, and ability. It has guys pulling into bombs and getting barreled, it has mind bending skill sets on every kind of board from hydrofoil to wake skate. It has a snow scene, a landboard scene, a buggy scene. It pretty much has a scene for everyone, the strapless, the strapped, the booted, the light wind, the high wind, the wave, the butter flat, and the multitudes of everyday riders that just get out and love it in their local chop.

The only thing that has truly gone downhill and lost its way is the forum.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:05 pm

This is more than welcome to do what you like!

The beauty of the sport is that it has something for everyone to enjoy!
The more options the better.

Not many people talk bad about the styles, it is a few who have some problems with whatever.
They will not change and keep talking bad.
Their problem, don't make it yours and enjoy what you do...it is your style and don't ever let anyone tell you what to do and what is cool or not.

Enjoy as long as you can!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Yep. I'm a generalist. Tho I don't unhook (stuffed wrist and elbow). I make up for that by also kite landboarding, kitebuggying and kite longboard skating as well.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:08 am

Yup! I perfer waves strapless but living where i do the west winds are off ahore in the ocean and we have lots of bays to choose from. I have gotten a litle picky and perfer a wave kite for the ocean and a good delta like the new Envy for the bay. I also ride 17s down to 6s. We have a bunch of "i only ride..." Aroud here but im not there yet. I just love to kite!

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 am

Starsky wrote:
johnm wrote:some pretty polarised views on this forum

You'd be surprised at how false that presumption really is. When there is a consistent bias your going to get a consistent rebuttal. Doesn't mean that 99% of those offering up a reality check are not just like you and embrace virtually all styles.

The only thing that has truly gone downhill and lost its way is the forum.

Well there is a polarised view... :D

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:01 am

really, how so? Cause as it pertains to the topic,,,, I just don't see it, or are you saying that when anyone voices an opinion on anything that it serves to sharply divides the group into factions? I guess we better all just tow the line like you.

Whats strange is that I bet you thought you were being funny! or was the emoticon a typo? Sadly you simply don't make sense.

Return to “Kitesurfing”