Style: Wave, Wake
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best time to visit US west coast for kitesurfing

Postby janeko » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 am

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about doing a kitesurfing - sightseeing trip to the US west coast in 2015. The idea is to rent a camper, load it with all our kite gear and drive along the west coast for around 1000 - 1500 km.
Which part of the coast would you recommend and time of the year to maximize the number of kite days?
Initially I was thinking about doing San Diego to San Francisco. Or even something longer like San Francisco to Seattle. Would any of those make sense? Also, is it safe to keep all the gear in a camper?

Thanks!

madmax7
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards

Re: Best time to visit US west coast for kitesurfing

Postby madmax7 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Summer is your best bet

Start in long beach, Belmont shores

Then, Nicholas canyon,

Ventura

Waddell creek

San Fran, then hop over to Sherman island, Sherman is great for camping and kiting

Then you gotta do hood river. You are done. Make it 2 weeks minimum.

Good trails! Max

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core

Postby AirBunny » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:59 am

Bring your wetsuit and bigger kites. Yes, it's safe. San Diego to SF is probably the most beautiful road trip in the world, but it's not the best place for kitesurfing. You'll be launching and landing on rocks once you get past Malibu (Leo Carillo). And you'll be pretty much alone. Just below Dana Point should be optimal. Long Beach has the best wind but it's right below an industrial zone. Who knows what's in the water. Happy Thanksgiving! Thank all the locals wherever you are for letting you use their beach!

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Kites

Postby dwaynej » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:37 am

Summer for sure!

Seal Beach and Belmont Shores are very good. Flat water at Belmont Shores given ocean breakwater wall stops big swells from coming in. You will see 60+ kites in the water on a good summers day. Malibu/Ventura/Jalama/Pismo/Morro Bay before the coast line becomes a little inaccessible and next stops are north of Monterrey. Benecia/Sherman Is are very good.

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Salvo
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:46 am

Bring your wetsuit and bigger kites.... You'll be launching and landing on rocks once you get past Malibu (Leo Carillo). And you'll be pretty much alone. Just below Dana Point should be optimal. Long Beach has the best wind but it's right below an industrial zone. .
I am an East Coaster, but that seems like the worst information I ever heard. I been there a few times, and a big Kite is a 9m for anything from Ventura North: Jalama, Pismo, Pico Creek, Arroyo Laguna, then up to Santa Cruz and Davenport, Waddell, Scotts... then the Bay Area, then the Rio. Do not even bother San Diego to LA. In the windy season early Spring through early august the go to kite is probably an 8m. At least that is my experience. I sure doubt you will be alone in any of these spots.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:25 am

Springtime, same as anywhere. Jalama is good in mid summer, when its really warm. Otherwise, San Diego is the best option. Actually Baja Ca. Is your best bet any time of year. San Quintin!!!!

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:55 am

An 8m in southern California ? That guy either got lucky or he must weigh 60lbs ! You need all your gear. Im from san diego and im always on my big kite. Until i got the pivot 14m i was on the fatlady ! If i get to ride my 12m then im in amazed ! If im in longbeach im normally on my 12m. The further north you go the windier it gets. Sherman island this summer i was on my 12&9. I weigh 215lbs though. If i were you i would bring 3 kites and 2 boards to cover it all. San diego is a springtime spot but you need at least a 14m. You might want to go longbeach and above. San diego is too unpredictable. Unless you plan on going to San Quintin Mexico. Its 5.5 hours south of san diego. Go on facebook and ad yourself to san diego kiteboarders, belmont kite friends and i think southern california kiteboarders. Everyone is friendly here or almost eceryone. Youll have fun !

dwaynej
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Kites

Postby dwaynej » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:06 am

12M spring / summer kite... 14M late summer for 180lbs. Smallest kite I have used in socal is a 9M during a storm earlier this year.

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:03 am

For Northern California coast (waddel , crissy field ) April , may, June are the best months because of the strong nw winds. 8-10m conditions.
July august there is more fog and the action shifts to Sherman island and other sites that favor the southwest flow. There are very few days in the summer where you can't find a spot in the bay area with good winds.

So if you want the coast, May is probably your best month. I would have a range of 8-12m kites. I use my 10m the most.

kitesurfgrancanaria
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Gear: flysurfer

Postby kitesurfgrancanaria » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Hello
What about the period Oct to Dec?
is there any wind?
which would be the best spots? -the warmer water, the better-
I'm planning a trip to Hawaii next year and I would make a stop in LA for about one month to explore the best kitesurfing areas, if it is worth.
About sizes, I use to travel with 21-12-8
Thanks for your help

Return to “Kitesurfing”