splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What do you do in the waves that's no wave riding

Postby splatnikGanglion » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:18 am

Twintips in waves: some feedback from non-twintip guys...

Waves are super fun but sometimes you have to share them with strapless surf kiters and surfers. Here are a few etiquette lapses I've seen at my local spots; I'm not calling *you* out, just mentioning some stuff I see all the time that I don't think the rider is aware of.

1) Don't burn through the surfer lineup. Your wake messes up the faces, it can be dangerous, and it sucks to ruin someone's line. I almost dropped in on a windsurfer who committed this sin.

2) Surfer, kiter, windsurfer, anyone on a wave has priority. If you're going to cross paths, turn around, even if it's inconvenient. When I'm surf kiting a wave I'm less likely to see you, and both my kite and I are changing directions constantly.

3) Don't short tack. Kiters surfing the waves generally ride out past the last guy and claim the wave they're going to ride in on long before it breaks. If I'm coming in with my wave and you tack right in front of me to catch it (or for whatever reason), you are effectively jumping the line and it's a bummer.

4) Strapless riders don't always wear leashes, so if you see one go down, watch carefully for their board. One of my friends ran over another friend's board like that once.

For what it's worth, I give twin tippers plenty of room to throw down as well. It's all about mutual respect. Obviously if your spot has no surfers or other kiters, none of this etiquette matters.

Have fun!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:52 am

Every time I read the title of this thread I can't seem to forget an incident after some sketchy tacos having to drop the boardies and stock the lake with a couple brown trout. Don't do that anywhere near the line up either!

splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004

Postby splatnikGanglion » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:32 am

Starsky wrote:Every time I read the title of this thread I can't seem to forget an incident after some sketchy tacos having to drop the boardies and stock the lake with a couple brown trout. Don't do that anywhere near the line up either!
Aquadump!

Hey, our local aquadumper was also canadian...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:26 am

Another one I was doing today.

A stalled hover. You have to pick a steep a pitching lip (head high is good). Don't hit it super fast. Just a nice cruise. Take the kite to the zenith. Smack straight up that lip leaning back and yourl pop straight up. Pull the bar in and enjoy a nice stalled hover. Redirect. Land a ride away with a big grin on your face.

A variation to this is doing a pendulum swing. Smack the same lip but hit it faster than the hover. Send the kite to the zenith hold it. Because your going faster you pendulum up like a swing away from the kite.. You reach the apex and your kite is now going to be too low and behind you. When start swinging back in the towards the kite in opposite direction, redirect hard. The kite slams across the zenith and you land smooth and fast heading back towards the beach. Downloop and ride back towards the beach.

eree
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby eree » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:18 pm

:thumb: mmm... plummet, you should do some tutorial video or some kind of video catalog like Toby's Strictly Hooked of no-wave-riding things in the waves. it is hard to beat 600+ moves of course but still it could be very helpful for the kiters who are not blessed with the perfect wave spots nearby

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:47 pm

Hell no! Inwardly I'm having the time of my life. Outwardly I'm just a hack awkwardly smashing into waves in an ungraceful way. But dammit its fun.

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008

Postby cleepa » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:57 pm

splatnikGanglion wrote:Twintips in waves: some feedback from non-twintip guys...

Waves are super fun but sometimes you have to share them with strapless surf kiters and surfers. Here are a few etiquette lapses I've seen at my local spots; I'm not calling *you* out, just mentioning some stuff I see all the time that I don't think the rider is aware of.

1) Don't burn through the surfer lineup. Your wake messes up the faces, it can be dangerous, and it sucks to ruin someone's line. I almost dropped in on a windsurfer who committed this sin.

2) Surfer, kiter, windsurfer, anyone on a wave has priority. If you're going to cross paths, turn around, even if it's inconvenient. When I'm surf kiting a wave I'm less likely to see you, and both my kite and I are changing directions constantly.

3) Don't short tack. Kiters surfing the waves generally ride out past the last guy and claim the wave they're going to ride in on long before it breaks. If I'm coming in with my wave and you tack right in front of me to catch it (or for whatever reason), you are effectively jumping the line and it's a bummer.

4) Strapless riders don't always wear leashes, so if you see one go down, watch carefully for their board. One of my friends ran over another friend's board like that once.

For what it's worth, I give twin tippers plenty of room to throw down as well. It's all about mutual respect. Obviously if your spot has no surfers or other kiters, none of this etiquette matters.

Have fun!
+1000!

Return to “Kitesurfing”