Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: KOTA is a shame !!

Postby Toby » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:01 pm

this happens with videos where guys can show a lot of tricks ;-)

fastrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Windmill point
Favorite Beaches: Jockeysridge
Style: Any move that makes my son smile
Gear: Axis 156 and a 139
Dakine harness
Epic renegade 3G 13ltd
Epic renegade 10m proto
Epic infinity v2
Epic 4g bar
Gopro hero
Gopro hero3+
Camrig
Sony playsport
Brand Affiliation: Working on one
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fastrider » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:13 pm

Toby I second epic and monster doing a contest
Or even rock star.

Bladesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: HagaPark Öland Sweden
Style: Old school Boosting and looping.
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 13m
Ozone Edge V9 8m
Noblie 2HD 134*42.5
Brand Affiliation: Ozone local teamrider.

Postby Bladesurfer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:20 pm

:angryfire:
Do they have guards down there during the competition ?
Dimitri:
You should go down there and "crash" their competition doing huge tricks in the background. Maybe wearing your grandmother suit :wink: .
You would defiantly get some good attention.

esg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Hawaii
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby esg » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:35 pm

+1 for Dimitri!
I've never ridden an Epic kite, never even seen one except in his videos. But I absolutely love that guys style and huge air.
That's probably why he's not included. Because he and his brand have nothing to do with Redbull.
Like some have mentioned before. I'm thinking this event is more of a big advertisement than a competition!

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:24 pm

esg wrote:+1 for Dimitri!
I've never ridden an Epic kite, never even seen one except in his videos. But I absolutely love that guys style and huge air.
That's probably why he's not included. Because he and his brand have nothing to do with Redbull.
Like some have mentioned before. I'm thinking this event is more of a big advertisement than a competition!
None of the selected riders have anything to do with Red Bull. Nor do the brands they fly for. I know Tieme a bit and he's just some local guy who rides hard, that's what got him selected. He's no pro or anything, just a working guy and weekend kiter like you or me. He just pushes it a bit harder than most.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:01 am

This is why we can't have nice things.

Whats up with all entitlements here? Its perfectly fine to have an opinion but don;t make this into something it isn't.

On one hand we complain when they stopped doing king of the air, then once they put it on...the complaints are that they don't do it the way you want it.

This is a commercial company that is putting on an event...which is going to cost them a significant amount of money..they want to get something back from it..branding, more sales etc....so they make the choices they feel are the best for them.

Dimitri has already starred in a commercial for a competing company...maybe that has something to do with it? Maybe its because he submitted a video that was well over twice as long as they were asking for? Maybe because he already stated he doesn't drink Red Bull....Maybe they just don't think he is a good fit...regardless its their event and they can do whatever they want.

soul19
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Prov
Favorite Beaches: Prov
little current
westbay
Style: try not to drown style
Gear: Whatever I own at the time....
Brand Affiliation: hook a brother up!!!

Postby soul19 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:13 am

Hey Taut I think you hit the nail on the head with that last post. Best one I have read all day :thumb:

James

Macisback
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kahuna Surf House, Kiti, Larnaca
Favorite Beaches: Kahuna Surf House, Les Dauphins, Soma Bay, Prasonissi, Boracay, Tarifa, Sotavento
Style: Airstyle, Hydrofoil, Wave
Gear: Naish, North & Zeeko Kites, Flysurfer and RL Boards, Zeeko and Iero Hydrofoils

Postby Macisback » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:35 am

Dear all,

maybe you are interested in an inside view?

I have been working for and with Red Bull since more then 10 years.
I am Austrian.
I do not work with them anymore since a few year (simpIy because changed my career from sports marketing)

I have no unresolved issues with them and I am neither a fan boy nor a hater of their brand.
I even drink 2-3 of their cans (or other similar) a month.

The reason why Dimitri has not entered the KOTA is simple:

- Red Bull takes decisions in strict autocratic procedures
- There has to be 100% control of the outcome
- It is straight forward business: They carry the cost, they want to increase brand value/recognition/PR

First of all Dimitri has a few conflicts with their internal politics as they see it:

- He is the owner of a Kite brand
- He used to work with a competitor of theirs
- He is not sponsored by Red Bull (and therefore hard to control his statements etc)

Before they risk any damage to the event or image, they play it the easy way: No Dimitri, no Risk

Is there a solution to this - will we fans ever see Dimitri in KOTA?

No, most likely not. Unless the public pressure in form of a super shitstorm would be to big.
As KOTA is only a small event for Red Bull, this is basically impossible.

So what are we left with?

I guess Guerilla marketing will do the job!

Dimitri, go down there, put a GPS sensor on your board and let numbers of the same day talk!
Im sure you can beat their height and their tricks.

After you have done that (filmed, proven by 3rd party that checks gps results) , let maybe Granny D have a go (or yourself - Im not sure what suits better) and let all of us have a laugh about the Red Bull politics, which for sure does not benefit the sport at this moment!

Just one hint: Whatever you do, do it smart, charming and fun!
Sneak your way in from the side/offshore and do not get to close to others, but of course close enough for people to see you and to get good footage.
Play a bit of catch me if you can and then after a nice 15-20 min show before or after a heat call it a day and let them get on with it.

Instead of a shitstorm lets create a PR storm.
If you are higher and more radical then the others, all you need is to be fast with good footage after you are back on the beach and with the GPS results.

The community will do the rest - I guess not a single google search that day will bring up results without Granny D or you :-)

If you could manage, it would be a well deserved publicity and what a nice one!

But: Stay who you are - a Greek with a big smile always is sympathic!

Bladesurfer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: HagaPark Öland Sweden
Style: Old school Boosting and looping.
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 13m
Ozone Edge V9 8m
Noblie 2HD 134*42.5
Brand Affiliation: Ozone local teamrider.

Postby Bladesurfer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:01 pm

Macisback wrote:Dear all,

maybe you are interested in an inside view?

I have been working for and with Red Bull since more then 10 years.
I am Austrian.
I do not work with them anymore since a few year (simpIy because changed my career from sports marketing)

I have no unresolved issues with them and I am neither a fan boy nor a hater of their brand.
I even drink 2-3 of their cans (or other similar) a month.

The reason why Dimitri has not entered the KOTA is simple:

- Red Bull takes decisions in strict autocratic procedures
- There has to be 100% control of the outcome
- It is straight forward business: They carry the cost, they want to increase brand value/recognition/PR

First of all Dimitri has a few conflicts with their internal politics as they see it:

- He is the owner of a Kite brand
- He used to work with a competitor of theirs
- He is not sponsored by Red Bull (and therefore hard to control his statements etc)

Before they risk any damage to the event or image, they play it the easy way: No Dimitri, no Risk

Is there a solution to this - will we fans ever see Dimitri in KOTA?

No, most likely not. Unless the public pressure in form of a super shitstorm would be to big.
As KOTA is only a small event for Red Bull, this is basically impossible.

So what are we left with?

I guess Guerilla marketing will do the job!

Dimitri, go down there, put a GPS sensor on your board and let numbers of the same day talk!
Im sure you can beat their height and their tricks.

After you have done that (filmed, proven by 3rd party that checks gps results) , let maybe Granny D have a go (or yourself - Im not sure what suits better) and let all of us have a laugh about the Red Bull politics, which for sure does not benefit the sport at this moment!

Just one hint: Whatever you do, do it smart, charming and fun!
Sneak your way in from the side/offshore and do not get to close to others, but of course close enough for people to see you and to get good footage.
Play a bit of catch me if you can and then after a nice 15-20 min show before or after a heat call it a day and let them get on with it.

Instead of a shitstorm lets create a PR storm.
If you are higher and more radical then the others, all you need is to be fast with good footage after you are back on the beach and with the GPS results.

The community will do the rest - I guess not a single google search that day will bring up results without Granny D or you :-)

If you could manage, it would be a well deserved publicity and what a nice one!

But: Stay who you are - a Greek with a big smile always is sympathic!
Second that! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Eurus
Frequent Poster

Postby Eurus » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:32 pm

I have watched Dimitri in person with about 6 other (younger) pros in 30 + kt winds. They all kited for about 30 to 45 minutes. During the entire session I never once saw Dimitri do the same trick twice. He boosted as high and even higher than most of the other pros and none of them even came close to doing the volume of tricks Dimitri did. His mega loops were just as good as the others (except BP).

To be honest I don't even know what some of the tricks he (Dimitri) was doing are called because I have never seen anyone else do them.

The only other rider during the session who impressed me the most was Billy Parker. That dude goes HUGE on every trick and his loops are massive.

Return to “Kitesurfing”