Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: A kitesurfer rescues two persons drowning - watch the vi

Postby FabsPH » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:05 am

Great job!!
Can't believe there are arguments about the rescue. What's wrong with some of you?
He did an amazing job and got it on video. Holy cow, that's just unreal.
I helped and rescued a few but without , other than their gratefulness and some witnesses, proof. I always know what I did, but here we see how hard core it is to help someone with having to fly a kite and not get completely fubared as well.

Great job dude, be proud and... critics : shut the f up!

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:38 am

alamos_kiter wrote:
Stefan1 wrote: ...I think that everybody would do the same....
I hope not. That was bravery combined with lots of luck, not a safe rescue procedure.
So you suggest letting them drown would be the better option while waiting for a "safe rescue procedure" to be carried out??

There is no "safe rescue" option. It's an emergency situation with a confirmed life risk, in a situation like this that it is acceptable to take a big risk to save life which is exactly why the guy did, hats off to him, he did a great job and fr m what I can see does it safely considering the situation. He certainly doesnt deserve to be criticised by Internet dickheads who think they are being clever by writing stupid posts.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:29 pm

FabsPH wrote: Great job dude, be proud and... critics : shut the f up!
that dude is a hero, not a role model for future rescue.

Don't try it like he did, get some flotation first, that will make the rescue so much safer.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:05 pm

FabsPH wrote:Great job!!
Can't believe there are arguments about the rescue. What's wrong with some of you?
Great job dude, be proud and... critics : shut the f up!
I don't see any arguments here. There are people discussing best practice for rescuing somebody while flying a kite.

I think its a very good discussion. I for one will approach a situation like this differently should I find myself in it. Hopefully a safer position.

balugh
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hunstanton, Brancaster, and other beaches in Norfolk
Favorite Beaches: ...I need to travel more...:-(
Style: Free ride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 3 15M
North Rebel 11M
North Rebel 8m
Ozone Light 7m
Spleene Session 140
SuperShinn 135
Brand Affiliation: www.kite-eze.com

Postby balugh » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:07 pm

The rescuer did great. He acted selflessly and put himself on the line. I've not seen any criticism of him as some seem to think... I do think it is excellent value to see a real live incident replayed for us because no matter how much practice people get when you're doing it 'for real' the dynamics change. The rescuer might have 'got away' with some dangerous stuff this time but I use that term advisedly. I'm guessing that his clear confidence and his command of / in the situation generally won through and the victims responded to that. We'll never really know unless / until we're faced with something similar.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:08 am

JGTR, you don't even know who I am for calling me a dickhead. Don't get your pants all twisted, and fire up your brains before you type.

Rescuing a panicking person in the water is critical, because you are likely to go under with them, as others have mentioned. They do not respond to such things as a spoken word, they are in survival mode and try to climb up the highest point, which is you, the rescuer. You must avoid that. You can't even shake off a panicking drowner off your bar with a kite loop. The victim is in panic mode clinging on with a death grip. Easily able to hold hundreds of kilos in tight lock.

There are a number of procedures to deal with that. First one is, keep the person at distance with a floating device until the panic is gone, before you proceed rescuing him / her. Second, there are a number of reflexes you can trigger using brute force, shouldn't you succeed to keep the victim at distance. Third, when you're climbed on, you dive under the victim in order to come free, which is a bit of a challenge with a kite attached and maybe a pfd. Fourth, if that does not work, wait at close distance until the person passes out and rescue him / her, or else consider activating the rescue chain if that is favorable.

And you have to train that stuff. This is nothing you want to do for the first time in overhead wash with a real panicking drowner on you.

Never ever risk your own life - for the obvious reason you might be dead, and for the altruistic reason that there might be other victims who need your help. You don't want to spoil 10 lives because you are stupidly brave in the first attempt. You might even be a professional life saver doing this on a daily basis.

Remains the question, what to do as a kiter with a panicking person. One would have to try a couple of things to get closer to the answer. The vid clearly points where the dangers lay. From experience I can say that this was the right approach for a NON panicking person. He also gave the girl his board first and brought her in controlled, so this looked good. The rescue of the guy did look very fishy.

As a kiter, you can play to your strength: speed, you've got a kite propelling you, being able to pull lots of weight, and you are doing well in surf. Better than a boat. So if you see panic is kicking in, you have more options: bring some flotation device to the victim fast; tow in a helper; go for a length of rope with a loop, floater, whatever; or other things to be thought out.

Don't play to your weak point, which is the vulnerability of yourself if somebody gets close to your bar.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:38 am

alamos_kiter wrote:JGTR, you don't even know who I am for calling me a dickhead. Don't get your pants all twisted, and fire up your brains before you type.

Rescuing a panicking person in the water is critical, because you are likely to go under with them, as others have mentioned. They do not respond to such things as a spoken word, they are in survival mode and try to climb up the highest point, which is you, the rescuer. You must avoid that. You can't even shake off a panicking drowner off your bar with a kite loop. The victim is in panic mode clinging on with a death grip. Easily able to hold hundreds of kilos in tight lock.

There are a number of procedures to deal with that. First one is, keep the person at distance with a floating device until the panic is gone, before you proceed rescuing him / her. Second, there are a number of reflexes you can trigger using brute force, shouldn't you succeed to keep the victim at distance. Third, when you're climbed on, you dive under the victim in order to come free, which is a bit of a challenge with a kite attached and maybe a pfd. Fourth, if that does not work, wait at close distance until the person passes out and rescue him / her, or else consider activating the rescue chain if that is favorable.

And you have to train that stuff. This is nothing you want to do for the first time in overhead wash with a real panicking drowner on you.

Never ever risk your own life - for the obvious reason you might be dead, and for the altruistic reason that there might be other victims who need your help. You don't want to spoil 10 lives because you are stupidly brave in the first attempt. You might even be a professional life saver doing this on a daily basis.

Remains the question, what to do as a kiter with a panicking person. One would have to try a couple of things to get closer to the answer. The vid clearly points where the dangers lay. From experience I can say that this was the right approach for a NON panicking person. He also gave the girl his board first and brought her in controlled, so this looked good. The rescue of the guy did look very fishy.

As a kiter, you can play to your strength: speed, you've got a kite propelling you, being able to pull lots of weight, and you are doing well in surf. Better than a boat. So if you see panic is kicking in, you have more options: bring some flotation device to the victim fast; tow in a helper; go for a length of rope with a loop, floater, whatever; or other things to be thought out.

Don't play to your weak point, which is the vulnerability of yourself if somebody gets close to your bar.
Great speech.....but despite all this stuff you say/claim he does just fine, executes a great rescue and saves lives. It's pretty clear from the video that he does a great job.

Never ever risk your own life.....so just let the people die?? I'd rather have this guy and his "unsafe" rescue techniques than a H&S freak standing in the beach with a list of excuses why he won't go in.
The guy is a hero!!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:54 pm

JGTR wrote: Never ever risk your own life.....so just let the people die?? I'd rather have this guy and his "unsafe" rescue techniques than a H&S freak standing in the beach with a list of excuses why he won't go in.
The guy is a hero!!
Nobody said let them die. Just use your head.

The paper is full of stories of heros who die. An older brother sees his younger brother swept into the sea, he goes in after him to save him, the mother sees them both out there, she swims out, then the father sees the whole family out there, he swims out and they all die except for the youngest, who somehow floats back to shore.

Just be smart about it. I think this guy is an inspiration and a hero. But we can also learn from it. If you try it his way be prepared for the victim to take over your control bar.

Don't let your emotions get in the way if you have to rescue someone the first thing you want to do is stay calm.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jeromeL » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:59 pm

Great job but that's nothing compared to what this norwegian guy did:

http://www.earthporm.com/norwegian-guy- ... ning-duck/

:lol:

justbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Almost as bad as stopping your car in the passing lane on a highway to rescue
ducklings, and killing two people in the process?! dimwits.

Return to “Kitesurfing”