Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Priorities!

Forum for kitesurfers
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Priorities!

Postby matth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:35 pm

I have been able to find a good balance between kids and kiting. As long as your wife is cool and not a raging bitch you just need a pay to play arrangement. In other words when its not blowing you need to be on double duty with family responsibilities. Take the kids out for the day and give your wife her free time, clean the house , do the dishes, laundry etc. And most weekend divide and conquer. She gets Saturday and you get Sunday or visa versa (wind dependent).
A good partner will understand your addiction as long as she or he is not burdened by it.

hoping for session 82, mid day x-mas. After the kids have opened their gifts and the house is tidy ,of course....

polarstorm
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sauble, Santa Rita, Valmitao
Favorite Beaches: Santa Rita, Valmitao
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha (little goat)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby polarstorm » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:39 am

matth wrote:I have been able to find a good balance between kids and kiting. As long as your wife is cool and not a raging bitch you just need a pay to play arrangement. In other words when its not blowing you need to be on double duty with family responsibilities. Take the kids out for the day and give your wife her free time, clean the house , do the dishes, laundry etc. And most weekend divide and conquer. She gets Saturday and you get Sunday or visa versa (wind dependent).
A good partner will understand your addiction as long as she or he is not burdened by it.

hoping for session 82, mid day x-mas. After the kids have opened their gifts and the house is tidy ,of course....
..that's the right idea, but still not enough.. you need to take her out (pay for babysitting!) and make sure she is happy (I won't state the obvious)!! for me the worse aspect of it (I have 3 kids) is the predictability of the conditions, that's what drives her insane.. do not override plans that have been scheduled, and by definition all plans have already been scheduled because you only find out about conditions t-48h at best.. good luck dads and husbands.. keep that super fine balance.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:27 am

polarstorm wrote: ..that's the right idea, but still not enough.. you need to take her out (pay for babysitting!) and make sure she is happy (I won't state the obvious)!! for me the worse aspect of it (I have 3 kids) is the predictability of the conditions, that's what drives her insane.. do not override plans that have been scheduled, and by definition all plans have already been scheduled because you only find out about conditions t-48h at best.. good luck dads and husbands.. keep that super fine balance.

I have to say too that some training of the significant other is required. For example most general plans for none whether dependant activities can be worked around the wind. You don't have to go shopping 3-5 Saturday when that is the only time there has been wind for the last 3 weeks. You can go earlier or later...... I don't think that rolling over all the time and not adjusting plans is the best way for both. you will be niggly and pissy because you will be missing your session and she wont understand that the importance of working with the weather.

On the other side of things wind is typically repeatable as far as time of the day is concerned. Round here 3-5pm is the most likely time for a session. So you can book those times in,,,,,, then if the wind doesn't play ball you can delve head first into other activities and be a good prick.

I think the route of it all is to ensure there is balance between family there needs and you needs aswell. Everyone's balance is different. Find what suits your family best.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:33 pm

Another key factor is to have lots of gear so your window of opportunity is wide open. With my 5 kite line up (7m to 17m) , and 2 TTs, I can go out almost anytime I can break free. I did a lot of dawn patrols this year, they are great for family guys. Up early and home early..

Return to “Kitesurfing”