Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help switching Feet on Surfboard Before I Turn.

Forum for kitesurfers
BigR
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help switching Feet on Surfboard Before I Turn.

Postby BigR » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:57 am

Why do you insist on switching your feet before you turn?

I've aleays done it After I turned , for the last 19 years........

Sometimes I just stay toeside if I am on a wave.

Anyways, the way to do it is to move both feet up and Carve! Slow is good, fast is also good.

Read my avatar if you don't know how many pie#'s I am

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:22 am

Hmmmm, I am a bit puzzled and concerned that all the helpful replies miss out the fundamentals of foot switching. It does not matter why you do it and it doesn't matter when you do it, and to a certain extent it doesn't really matter how you do it.

If you're going to ride a directional then you should be able to switch your feet any time you want and under any conditions because the conditions change all the time and you might want to switch in a hurry for whatever reason.

The absolute unvarying fundamental is that your body weight must go down through roughly the middle of the board. Put your body weight anywhere else and the board will stall.

When you have either foot loaded you want all the power focused in a straight line down the kite lines, through the harness, down your leg and into the board. The more the power is focused the better everything will be. Your 240 pies will help here because weight and movement is power. Just make sure there is tension on the lines.

So, the method is:

- load your front foot so the board is nicely balanced and planing. Just trim with your back foot.

- bring your back foot up somewhere close to the front foot (anywhere within a foot or so is fine) Transfer the load to that. (personally I prefer somewhere close to the rail so that it helps with the carve but anywhere you're comfortable with will do.)

- Bring your old front foot back.

You can practice all this by lifting your back foot while planing and moving it all round the board. Next practice shifting back and forth between sides while cruising along.

During a transition you can make all sorts of errors, like getting your weight back too far and the board scooting out from under you. All those mistakes are just different situations. Learn to deal with them and use them. Having the board scoot out is great because you get a massive boost of acceleration. Just be sure to catch yourself with the kite and let it haul you back into position. Other variations are stalled slam gybes and various pivots, long arcs and the classic carve.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:14 am

Yeah, what he said!

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby Lmrutledge » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:44 am

Herbert & Oz,

Thank u! What you both said seems to put the Picture I have been looking for in my Brain. I had some good tips a few post before yours. Your 2 give me the Complete strategy that I need now.

Oz, when you say to have the weight running through the center of the Board ( I'm good with that) and the weight running through the Kite lines do you mean that my weighted foot needs to be facing INLINE/same direction as the kite lines are pointed to the kite??

Thanks,

lm

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:45 am

Nope. It's more a guideline, something to aim for and something to think about when you're riding. It applies almost all the time.

At the moment you're probably wobbling around and concentrating on telling yourself how hard it is and not really thinking of the move as a thing of beauty.

Power comes from kite, through lines, through harness, through legs to board. Think about getting that sweet spot happening all the time and you can do anything you want. With gybing it's a matter of get some load on the lines, do something, get stable, repeat. When you get better do the whole lot in succession.

Similar metaphors would be: pedalling a bike and getting the down stroke of your foot combined with your leg and the sway of your body. Turning skis where you get the pole plant, dip of the legs and flex in the ski just right, swimming or paddling where you get the reach and the plant and the pull back all flowing with tension the whole way.

PS. The "sweet spot" on a board is usually from a couple of inches in front of the front strap to about 12-18 inches back and about 5 inches in from the rail (maybe a bit further back when you have both feet weighted). Strangely enough it looks just like the front deck pad on a directional board.

PPS When going through the carve almost all problems can be avoided by bending the legs and dipping down into the carve. Straight legs causes the board to bounce and skip out.

PPPS Almost all people who ride directionals try to ride with the back foot too far back and too much weight too far back. This causes the nose to flap up and down and the board to stall. Get your back foot out of the strap and put it wherever it needs to be.

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster

Postby Lmrutledge » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:10 pm

Got it OZ!!! Thank u very much for taking the time. I really appreciate it...

LMR

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:20 am

@OzBungy has it spot on but I'd just add a couple of things that will help to achieve what he is describing - getting your weight onto your front foot.
  • 1) Assuming your riding with your kite at 45 degrees, just pull lightly with your back hand to bring the kite up, as this will add tension to the your lines and give you a small amount of lift and take weight off your feet. You don't want to bring the kite all the way up to 12, its just a small movement, timed with bring your weight forward. In fact ensure you don't have the kite directly above as your change your feet as this will probably lead to the board slowing down to much and a general lack of balance.
  • 2) Carve the board slight upwind before changing your feet. This will help to stabilize the board, getting it tracking better through the water, slow it down ever so slightly and once again increase tension in the kite lines. As with the kite its a small movement.
  • 3)Sheet in with the bar as you bring your weight forward & start moving your feet. Once again getting weight off your feet - you don't want to be walking around the board but rather floating!
All three of these actions are subtle and happen very close together but they should allow the foot change to be effortless. Get weight off your feet and you'll find yourself less likely to be wobbling around.

I've been shooting for a series of instructional videos on kite-surfing and its been really interesting to analyse the details that go into carving turns and specifically the foot change. What's more amazing is you can see how some of these fundamental skills translate to subtle skills and awareness of your kite and board which will pay off massively when you are actually on a wave and trying to ride it properly.

Lmrutledge
Medium Poster

Postby Lmrutledge » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:27 pm

Robclaisse,

Thank you very much for the additional info. It makes total sense!!! I feel like I know what Im after know.

LMR

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Best Cabo 6, Naish Pivot 7, 9, and 11, Cabrinha Vector 12, Best Bularoo 16
Long Ocean 134 and 136, Cyclone 135, Fone Surf 5'11", Naish Global 6'0", Cyclone 6’0”, Slingshot Hoverglide foil

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:07 pm

I'm still not perfect at the hop, but manage well enough with a shuffle two-step. Like many others, I change feet before the gybe on one side, after on the other, but working in waves I simply stay on one side.

I managed to get it down by two things. First, ditch the straps for learning, you can eventually go back to them and learn gybing with them for when the waves are really big. Second, ride for long periods on a downwinder on flat water with your feet together in the middle of the board facing forwards and just get comfortable with that, turning etc. Then moving the feet back and forth becomes easy from that transition position.

And I agree with the back foot being better a little forward. I even have an extra set of plugs inserted on both my directionals so when strapped I can have the back foot in front of where the back strap usually is, because that's where it is when I ride strapless. That's where it feels natural, and the board stops flapping around.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:45 am

All good advice above.

On my preferred tack I carve onto my toes pretty hard and as the nose of the board comes around I tend to automatically just shift my back foot forward to meet the top of the board coming around and simultaneously drop the front back, more like a quick slide/hop I suppose.

But going on my non preferred tack I still have to change before the turn (like described above) then gybe. It feels a lot more clumsy (and probably looks it!!).

Watched a kiter who come from a windsurfing background the other day, he gybes onto his toes first both ways...something to work towards as it is much more fluid and quick.

Agreed on the back strap, back foot always wants to sit just in front of it. I really keep the straps on for big boosting in waves, but I'm hardly ever in the back one and only slightly in the front. Does help to get over the whitewater in less than ideal conditions which we mainly have.

Only ever go strapless when doing ...or should I say trying to do strapless airs of any significance. Love the challenge though.

Return to “Kitesurfing”