Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

If $ Is No Object in US + HI, Best Place 4 Begin'r Lessons?

Forum for kitesurfers
Kevin1282
Rare Poster
Local Beach: San Diego, CA county: Tourmaline, Coronado Dog-Park, Silver Strand.
Favorite Beaches: Silver Strand (San Diego), Belmont Shores (Long Beach), Jalama County Park (Santa Barbara)
Style: Learning! Goals: to surf and coarse race
Gear: Naish - Bolt (2011) 14m, Lightwave - Wing 161, My personal quiver of surfboards with limited success.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

If $ Is No Object in US + HI, Best Place 4 Begin'r Lessons?

Postby Kevin1282 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:47 am

Hello everyone. Looking for advice on where, with whom, and why thus, to start my learning into this sport. I welcome all subjective opinions as it will add to my own research.

I have been waiting patiently to be in a financial and time available position to start. Now I am!

I'm a professional mariner, recreational competive sailor, ex-collegiate and junior sailor in Southern California, surfer (mainly long boarding) and amateur shaper. I give this background to help your suggestions.

Also I'm 6'1" 180 lbs. and no injuries or physical issues...yet.

I'm currently living in Southern California.

Thanks for any help you can give. It's much appreciated.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Re: If $ Is No Object in US + HI, Best Place 4 Begin'r Lesso

Postby davesails7 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:54 pm

Outer Banks or South Padre Island for consistent wind and flat, waist-deep water

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:03 pm

The Texas Gulf Coast is great. You will find plenty of flat, shallow water in all 3 major hubs for kiting. Corpus has the best wind all year long and I personally don't like the main spots launch there. It does have industry and tourism so over all not too bad of place to visit. South Padre is the 2nd best spot with the most open waters. It's winds do die off during the summer months. It is only a tourist town so it is pretty dead in the winter outside of some folks going there to fish and enjoy the wind. Houston has one of the best spots to learn. We don't get as strong of winds as the other two and we don't get wind during the summer months. There is plenty to do in Houston.

You can find more info by contacting some of the local shops. South Padre has http://www.airpadrekiteboarding.com/

Corpus http://kiteboarding.com/

Houston http://www.houstonkiteboarding.com/

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:57 pm

They pretty much nailed it as far as places with consistent wind, safe, and great instructors.

I took my lessons a few years ago with Air Padre in SPI.

Welcome to this addictive sport.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:20 pm

What would be the best months to visit SPI for a freestyle rider looking for decent winds and flat water spots ? or would Hatteras be better (again which months best ?)

thanks

MACTNKA
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Nantucket
Favorite Beaches: Madaket harbor, south shore, jetties
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Core, xennon

Postby MACTNKA » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:53 pm

I would say as far as consistent wind, hatteras and South Padre hold the crown but as far as fun this time of year combined with decent wind Miami is probably the best choise! If you wanted to wait a bit haterras offers 20-25 windy days a month and endless flat waist deep water! I just came back from Kite Club Haterras and I had the time of my life! A little cold but well worth it even for chrismas! For spring break you'll never wanna leave!

SSK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Salvo NC
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabrihna Drifters, Surfboards with 3 Fins

Postby SSK » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:27 pm

South Texas and Hatteras are not just the best places in the US to learn, but probably the world. Few places in the world have endless shallow, warm, sandy, side-on, wide easy launches with lots of public access. Land of down-winders. Also both have flat water on the West side of the barrier islands, and surf on the East side.
I lived in both and the wind is similar, but distributed throughout the year a little differently. If you are traveling late November to early March, hands-down would rather be in South Texas. Rather be in trunks or a spring suit versus a heavy full suit with booties and gloves.
On a similar note, Hatteras in July and August is pretty hot, but South Texas is real uncomfortable. Also you may not want to be in SPI during spring break, because of the crowds.
If you are in to surf, the surf in Hatteras is far better, although you can get a lot of small days in Texas because you have more side on days.
For both places the prime season is Spring through early Summer, and the Fall. Both are pretty windy in winter too, but much nicer in South Texas during that time.

GregWoj
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby GregWoj » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Sorry, I know you said US + HI, but I consider Puerto Rico part of US!

Jan - April in San Juan, Puerto Rico. 15 knots kite school. New 2015 Cabrinha gear, great and well experienced staff, great location, good winds to learn on during that time.

Ps - Ask them to take you to Playa Las Picuas for your lesson (which is about a 30 min drive from their main school location). Very nice flat water spot - you will learn the water start much faster.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:58 pm

What is wrong with learning locally? It's always better to learn where you live. First of all you get to hook up with the local schools, you spend money on them instead of someone else far away, next you get to learn all the local conditions, and last you get to know the local riders. Of course southern la has no wind right now but I guess the closest spot might be la ventana, it's popular with local LA riders you might see them there.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:35 pm

If you're in southern cali i think there are some good beginner spots around LA, and plenty of shops giving lessons.

If money was no object, I'd probably visit cape hatteras over the summer and give Real (http://www.realwatersports.com) my money to teach me with a jetski. They know how to give lessons, and the spots are unbelievably easy to learn at.

If you want to learn RIGHT NOW, I think your options are limited to southern texas, and south florida. It's warm in FL right now and there are a few decent spots, the wind will be consistent until about the end of march. If you want to wait, I'd check out obx.

Return to “Kitesurfing”