tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Postby tkettlepoint » Thu May 07, 2015 1:31 am

I have no problems with the bar atall. everything feels good on it and it all works... I like the K,I,S,S way

terrie

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby GhostDog » Fri May 08, 2015 4:06 pm

adamj2281 wrote:Yeah, I'm debating possibly getting a 10m Flite, but the 10m Razor is really my favorite kite. I love the rip off the water,,,,,
The 10 Razor is my favorite kite as well. I have been out twice on my 12 Flite now (I still have a 8 and 10 Razor). Today it was 13-21, kind of gusty, with a fairly low lull (13) so I put the Flite up, here are my impressions after a really fun session.

The flite turns ridiculously fast and smoothly for a 12m. I had to fly it more like a 7 or 8m Razor from a timing perspective. Really. At first I was flying it like my old 10 or 12 Rise and... no that doesn't work.. It just turns so quickly it's astonishing.

The flite has a very nice, smooth kite loop. It doesn't generate a ton of power like the Razor or a c-kite but it also doesn't just spin around on itself like the Rise.

If you ever flew the Rise... it's features were getting upwind well, getting out in lighter winds, wide range, and floaty jumps. The Flite is similar except that it turns a lot better and faster and the loops are not lame like the Rise loops were. The Flite doesn't generate as much power as a Razor while looping, but it doesn't just lamely spin around itself like the Rise either. It's actually great for practicing loops... or just pulling a loop after jumping to smooth out the landing a bit.

The flite turns so fast that I actually did a double loop by mistake and it didn't kill me. It will take you some time to get used to the timing. The smallest pop off the water and you are airborne.. for a long time!

I'm used to the Razor's quick-up, make a move, quick-down timing... the Flite opens up a whole different riding style. Big, floaty, take your time moves..

I probably still prefer the Razor as my #1 fun kite (because I'm an adrenaline junky and I have flat water here) but I really really liked the flite, and in terms of engineering of kites... I don't know how they did it, the kite is good at almost everything.

Usually you have to sacrifice something while engineering the wing design in order to achieve something else, the flite somehow manages to sacrifice very little. It's smooth, gets upwind well, jumps well, loops smoothly (but with less power), the bar pressure is good (not too heavy), the turning is incredible for a 12m, can't wait to try my friends 10m.

Oh, the kite really handled the lulls nicely. I was able to stay upwind easily.

Very impressed with the kite. I'm going to keep one in my quiver for days like today, or just for a change up. Floaty jumping is fun!

Tom :: Charleston SC

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Fri May 08, 2015 4:12 pm

tkettlepoint wrote:I have no problems with the bar atall. everything feels good on it and it all works... I like the K,I,S,S way

terrie
Totally agree, as an engineer, I appreciate the OR keep it simple approach. The below trim bars are great, but I just tried the new trim above and I really like it. SOOOO much better than the old adjustable strap, back and forth, BS systems that other kites have.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 pm

GhostDog wrote:Usually you have to sacrifice something while engineering the wing design in order to achieve something else, the Flite somehow manages to sacrifice very little. It's smooth, gets upwind well, jumps well, loops smoothly (but with less power), the bar pressure is good (not too heavy), the turning is incredible for a 12m, can't wait to try my friends 10m.

Oh, the kite really handled the lulls nicely. I was able to stay upwind easily.
Great review - thanks Tom! It's pretty awesome to see rider feedback echo our own design goals and stated objectives!

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri May 08, 2015 9:07 pm

I love the OR products and service. I've been slowing replacing kites with OR badged products. I'm an engineer too, and I DO have one beef with the "KISS" bar. I mostly snowkite and can't count on the mini-fifth Not-so-rollover bridle to work when the fit hits the shan. I've tested my 2014 12m Razor release on the freeride bar and it's a liability. After nearly having to ditch my kite completely yesterday into the Uncompahgre Wilderness, I'm going to re-build the OR bars into single front line flaggers.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri May 08, 2015 9:36 pm

matthepp wrote: I'm going to re-build the OR bars into single front line flaggers.
We intend to have low Y, single front line flagging bars available by fall. Great to hear you're loving the kites!

Regarding not rolling over, if you dig in your heels in shallow water (or stand your ground when snow kiting) the kites won't quite roll over. If drifting down wind, or if you ski / walk / slide towards the kite, they will roll.

JZ~OR

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 pm

ORSales wrote:
matthepp wrote: I'm going to re-build the OR bars into single front line flaggers.
We intend to have low Y, single front line flagging bars available by fall. Great to hear you're loving the kites!

Regarding not rolling over, if you dig in your heels in shallow water (or stand your ground when snow kiting) the kites won't quite roll over. If drifting down wind, or if you ski / walk / slide towards the kite, they will roll.

JZ~OR
That sounds great John, I can not wait to see the new bar. Will the new single line flag bar be backwards compatable with 2014 flites?

I have to say no flag out is perfect. 5 lines work well but are a pain in the ass , messy and can cause other issues when rolled, single line flags work but the kite can flap around and even loop uncontrollably in sketchy conditions. Two line flag kites can keep pulling if not fully rolled over but are less messy and can actually flag out very nicely.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri May 08, 2015 11:42 pm

matth wrote:
ORSales wrote:

JZ~OR
That sounds great John, I can not wait to see the new bar. Will the new single line flag bar be backwards compatable with 2014 flites?

I have to say no flag out is perfect. 5 lines work well but are a pain in the ass , messy and can cause other issues when rolled, single line flags work but the kite can flap around and even loop uncontrollably in sketchy conditions. Two line flag kites can keep pulling if not fully rolled over but are less messy and can actually flag out very nicely.
For sure, backward compatibility is important to us. Equally, our existing bars will continue to work with the planned new kites in 2016.

We also intend to continue to offer the existing bars as we feel strongly that they offer great value for dollar. As I mentioned, these bars are selling for upwards of $200 less than most others.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat May 09, 2015 12:19 am

I have had below the bar a few times I find them harder to depower then above the bar. The stopper works great and easy to use. With the bungee inside of the depower line it keeps it up nice and neat too...

I just like how simple it is and the ease of use hits the spot for me. All the bells and whistles are not always that great if you ask me, as long as it is easy to use and works that all that matters to me.

Just my 2 cents

Terrie

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Sat May 09, 2015 12:30 am

tkettlepoint wrote:I have had below the bar a few times I find them harder to depower then above the bar.
I have always found above the bar much harder, generally because they are hard to reach.. secondly because they normally have the crappy two way strap system. I have flown the OR under the bar depower for years now, 4 -5 I would say, and I love them. That said, as I mentioned above, the new 'bungee pull' above style from OR is really nice. My favorite bar ever. it's easy to reach, and easy to adjust while riding.

Return to “Kitesurfing”