Brand Affiliation: None.

Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:06 pm

Ocean Rodeo News:

10 & 12m Flite

X-Over Freeride & High Performance Lightwind Kites
OR Flite.jpg
OR Flite.jpg (119.93 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
True story: We never intended to make these kites. However, in the middle of the Flite madness that was last year we said to ourselves, "I wonder what a 10 and 12 would fly like". Samples were made and flown and we all - every one of us in the office and close friends outside of it - loved the kites.

But should we make them? We've made cool kites before that we elected not to sell. The Jinx is one... just ask us about it. But the 10 and 12 Flite were different, they fit in the line up perfectly.

If the Prodigy is a fantastic Freeride kite, suitable for beginner to highly advanced riders looking for a stable, easy to ride kite that drifts well in the waves and if the Razor is an edgy, aggressive Freestyle kite that wants you to loop it but will spank you for your failures the Flite 10 and 12 represent the middle ground.

X-Over Freeride. They jump huge, sit deep for great initial pull but seek the window's edge when powered up and loop quickly but with less wallop than the Razor. They'll give any rider looking to progress their freeride skills towards a more progressive, x-over freeride / freestyle approach a perfect way to challenge and reward themselves.

The Flite 10 & 12m, Too Good Not To Make.

https://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/flite

Demo Kites are available now!! Contact your local dealer or order now!

10 & 12m Flites Are:
Fast Turning & Fast Flying
Huge Boosting with a ton of Glide
Progressive, X-Over Freeride Design

Want to compare kites? Click here

It's worth noting - the 10 and 12m Flite remain lightwind kites! Riders under 140lbs will likely never need more than the 12m to get out. Heavier riders will love the progressive, x-over freeride these kites offer!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Postby ORSales » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:32 am

Thanks Toby!

KF - We already have a number of these kites out for demo, most likely in your area! Reach out to a dealer or get in touch with us to arrange a chance to demo these new kites!

John Z ~ OR

EastCC
Medium Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo - Australia

Postby EastCC » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:36 am

These kites are great fun.
They are as quick as you like to loop, which is so smooth, not a sudden "whack!".
Like the Prodigy, even more so, they do not luff or overfly, so any mishaps it will drift back into the window and smoothly power back up. If you mistime a turn or transition you can just throw a nice smooth loop to where you want it in the window, then whip it back the other way and you're off again without missing a beat, makes them great in the waves too.
Fast turning, nice & light bar pressure but good feedback so you can feel where the kite is. There is a slower turning setting on the wingtips but to be honest I haven't tried this out yet.

Boosting is really easy to dial, and (that word again) smooth, good height, good float, soft landings. All the crew I've had on this kite just gelled with it straight away once adjusted to the turning speed.

If you're in the market for a kite that will keep you grinning until the next session and inspire you to push your limits a bit more without getting totally punished, then get a demo on these kites, worth the effort.

Nice work on this kite Ocean Rodeo!

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby shawn13 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:33 pm

Sounds like a great addition to the Flite line!
ORSales wrote:
But should we make them? We've made cool kites before that we elected not to sell. The Jinx is one... just ask us about it.

Please tell more!

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:41 pm

Thanks EastCC - stoked you're getting the same positive feedback we have been hearing from other dealers and demo riders.

Shaun - I know we have at least a few in your area too so try to get on one sometime soon. As for the Jinx... it was a kick at the can to see if we could merge the Razor and Prodigy into one kite... had huge bar pressure but was otherwise an incredibly fun kite to fly, we still take it up to Nitinat a lot, you're welcome to come visit the west coast and give it a go!

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby davesails7 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:15 pm

Sounds like these would be great for foil riding as well.

Since starting to ride a foil, I've run into an issue with my 2012 9m Fuse. It's my most used size now , good for 11-16 knots. I love the kite for twintip riding 18-28 knots, but when it's averaging 11, it wants to fall out of the sky :( Can't really blame the kite, 9-10m kites were never meant to fly in 10 knots.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Dave,

The Flites are absolutely a great choice for foiling as they handle light winds so well. These smaller sizes of the Flite are built with our same weight saving design and perform beautifully in lighter winds.

The one caveat that our designer Ross would want me to add is that they are not specifically designed as foil kites. If we were to do so, he would make some changes to ensure at higher speeds you can't out sail the kite (foils can get going very quickly and fly at a very steep angle into the wind, making it easy to leave the kite behind).

JZ

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby flyingcamel » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:32 pm

did you add any extra reinforcement or use thicker bladders for the pressures or higher wind or did the light weight style and material you use on the bigger versions pass the durability tests. love my v3 17m flite btw and was hoping for smaller sizes in them so this is already a great 2015

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:42 pm

We saved weight on the new Flites in a number of ways, most of which we will keep as "trade secrets" but the short answer is yes - the 10 and 12 are lighter than our other kites and this helps with their light wind performance but - also - yes, we built them to take the abuse expected in the higher than ultra light winds they will be flown in.

To be clear: both the 10 and 12 are officially light wind kites. However, they will perform beautifully in conditions you normally fly a 10 or 12 in, which is to say, higher winds. They just won't do well in very over powered conditions when you should be on a 7 or 8 but choose to "hold down" a 10... you'll not like them then. Not one bit. But in all other conditions, especially when you'd normally be going in to switch to a larger kite, you'll love them. Every little bit of them.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:46 pm

Disclaimer: I sell these and many other brands.

As I've already said somewhere else, this new 12 Flite is an amazingly fast kite with massive boost. Every time I'd jump, this little girl would squeal really loud, seemingly right in my ear. :wink:
I'm certainly looking forward to getting more than 2 sessions on it. Expect an Average Joes review on it as soon as we can get the time to do it! :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”