Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken, Läjet, Björkäng, Trönningenäs
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor and Rise
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ocean Rodeo: 10 & 12m Flite

Postby henke » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:57 pm

ORSales wrote:Just getting on a plane to Germany but wanted to jump in here. Very excited to see all the positive reviews already coming in. The Flite 17 and 14.5 proved themselves last year so we figured we'd have a keen set of riders looking to try the smaller sizes. As I said in our original post, we never expected the 10 & 12 to be so good but once made, we knew we had to put them into production. Some notes:

- Foils - these kites do great in light wind (duh) so are fantastic on a foil that requires less kite in less wind. One disclaimer for our designer - they were not designed as foil kites so advanced foilers will eventually find they may out sail the kite. 90% of you will love them.
- Smaller sizes. No promises but we do have samples coming already. Stay posted.
- Quiver construction - I would agree with the previous poster that the 17 and 14.5 cross over a lot. Basically, you need only one of them as your big kite. The 10 and 12 do not cross over. If you have the cash a great quiver is the 7 Prodigy (light, nimble and very stable in high winds) with a 10, 12 Flite capped by either the 14.5 or 17.

Lastly, just because it hasn't been mentioned yet I personally feel the new 10 and 12 Flite are the best jumping kites I've ever flown. Fast like the Razor they rip you off the water but higher aspect gives you a massive amount of glide. This equals longer air time but also tons of time to react if your take off is off balance, making them incredibly forgiving. I found that to be a real confidence booster in really - really - cranking the bar for massive jumps, knowing if i was off balance I wouldn't end up paying hard for the mistake.

John Z ~ OR
I agree with John, 7m prodigy is a really nice kite and could be a good complement to the 10 and 12 Flite models.
I'll buy my first Flite now and it will be the 10m, and later I will also buy a 14,5m Flite. I think that setup will be a very good quiver for me that weights about 155lb.

I also have 8m 2011 Razor and 14m 2013 prodigy. For my riding style I prefer the prodigy 7m before Razor 8m. Before I also had a Razor 10m and that was my favorite but it was stolen in Spain a while ago :(

/henrik

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:21 am

Probably the fastest turning 12m I've tried. Used it in light air for both hydrofoiling and "door" board riding. Didn't get to try the boost. Did get a tribute in to the Planet of the Apes ride though.

www.adventurekiteboarding.com
414-367-WAVe

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 am

droffats wrote:Probably the fastest turning 12m I've tried. Used it in light air for both hydrofoiling and "door" board riding. Didn't get to try the boost. Did get a tribute in to the Planet of the Apes ride though.

414-367-WAVe

Thanks for the interesting video. The Pivot you are riding makes for an good comparison as Pivots are a very responsive kite in their own right.

Did you prefer one over the other out of interest? Did you notice either being obviously more powerful?

Ta

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:57 pm

Power wise they were about the same, but the Pivot has more bar pressure and that can easy to mistake for low end grunt. The Pivot feels more "solid" -- like the kite moves as one solid wing. The Flite feels more fluid -- like the wing tips have some flex in them. I think that is where it's turning speed comes from.

Thanks,
Stafford
414-367-WAVE

GhostDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Charleston South Carolina, USA
Favorite Beaches: Station 28, Sullivan's Island South Carolina. Katama Bay and Cape Pogue, Martha's Vineyard.
Style: Freeride, FreeStyle, some wave
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi, 8,10, 12
Underground FLX 135 x 41
OR Mako Wide

Postby GhostDog » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:51 pm

droffats wrote:Power wise they were about the same, but the Pivot has more bar pressure and that can easy to mistake for low end grunt. The Pivot feels more "solid" -- like the kite moves as one solid wing. The Flite feels more fluid -- like the wing tips have some flex in them. I think that is where it's turning speed comes from.
I can't speak to the Pivot but I have the 12m Flite, I also fly Ocean Rodeo Razor (my favorite kite these days). In the past I have flown kites from Naish, North, Wipika, Best, and Slingshot (the legendary Fuel).

The 12m Flite is THE fastest turning, smoothest turning 'big' kite I have ever flown. I It turns like a 9m kite. That's not hyperbole, it actually does turn as fast as an average 9m. I had to watch myself that I wasn't sending it too far back on jumps, etc. I looped it by mistake a few times with very little bar pressure and turning pressure. And it is very smooth, it's a pleasure to fly in lighter winds, it's so nice to be able to move the kite around a bit on light days.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:57 pm

The first time I flew the OR Flite 12m in about 25mph I was not expecting that speed from a 12m - I subsequently got spanked hard by the kite :-). Each time I've flown it since I really enjoy flying it. It is a great kite.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Great to see these posts coming in guys and to see that the 12m Flite is meeting customer's expectations... anecdotally, the office staff are also all in agreement that the Flites turn faster than the Razors, though they generate less pull through the turn.

Droffats - I notice you mentioned not yet jumping the kite... do it! They are very fun to jump, tons of glide.

JZ

Loscocco
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Crissy, Ocean Beach, Sherman Island, Alameda, 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Mexico, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Vancouver Island Canada, Vietnam, Peru
Style: hard
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo Team Rider

Postby Loscocco » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:29 am

ORSales wrote:Great to see these posts coming in guys and to see that the 12m Flite is meeting customer's expectations... anecdotally, the office staff are also all in agreement that the Flites turn faster than the Razors, though they generate less pull through the turn.

Droffats - I notice you mentioned not yet jumping the kite... do it! They are very fun to jump, tons of glide.

JZ

I flew my 10m Flite last weekend in about 20-25 knots and had an awesome time boosting and gliding with it. I am about 140 lbs so it was PLENTY of power but still manageable ")
Attachments
11709721_10206230699478486_5599499401816792884_n.jpg
11227881_869312659789128_2469049328145940919_o.jpg

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:22 am

Has anyone out there used the 12m Flight as a dedicated lwave kite in light wind, around 10 knots?

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:47 am

8-10 knots all the time with my custom jellyfish surfboard. But were I live it there is no wind there is now waves.

Terrie

Return to “Kitesurfing”