Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook, NJ
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Finding a beginner kite for NJ

Postby Touche » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:37 pm

I'm as beginner as it gets still on lessons but am looking to get my own gear for next Spring.

My local instructor told me I can look at several options in a Slingshot Rally, North Evo and Core kites in a 12m size.

My local spot is Sandy Hook in NJ we typically get 10-15 mph winds with an occasional 15-20.

Right now i weigh 188 lbs. and will probably be around 190+ lbs. by next summer.

My biggest question is what size kite should I be looking to buy a 12m? Or maybe a 14m?

Also what are some other options for kites I could look at? Because I've been having trouble finding anything used from the given kites.

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards

Re: Finding a beginner kite for NJ

Postby mdksniper » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:31 am

You should be looking at a 12m for summertime in NJ. A 14 would be a good idea as well. I probably rode my 8m (I'm 210 lbs) one time all summer. A 9m is a must have for fall/winter/spring kiting. I been on my 9m since October and haven't used anything else.

A good quiver for NJ: 9, 12, 14m

Predominant winds are SW too. I'd recommend Long Beach Island and Kite Island for your summer spots. The kiters are way cooler down south and the spots are much less crowded.

I can't give you any info on those specific kites other than your instructor probably sells those kites and wants you to buy from him. Don't feel obligated.

You should definitely check out a variety of kite brands.

Good beginner kites:
Naish Ride (have a 12m i'm trying to get rid of! ;))
Liquid Force Envy (2015 models are sick!)
Cabrinha Radar

Check out atlantickiteboarding.com and/or greenhatkiteboarding.com if you are looking to buy local.
Last edited by mdksniper on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby randycasburn » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:37 am

Two factors you've not mentioned: board type/size is a huge factor and current velocity / direction has a huge impact on power generated by the kite.

I weigh 175, ride in conditions from ~9 - 28 mph with little current and I have a three kite quiver consisting of 17m, 14m, and 11m kites and two boards of 146x45 and OR Mako 140.

All beginners, somewhat rationally, look for the perfect one kite quiver. When I was starting I did too. You likely won't ride a 12m kite on those 10-14 mph days and on the 15-18mph days you'll have fun in the beginning but not as after you've progressed a bit.

So, the answer to your question might be in the following answers...

How many lessons have you had so far?
What were the wind conditions during those lessons?
What kites did you instructor choose for you to use during your lessons?
What board types/sizes did you instructor choose for you to use?

makorider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mantoloking NJ
Gear: Naish

Postby makorider » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:10 am

I've just finished my second year kiting. I mostly kite out front in Mantoloking in the prevailing SEs, SW's I'm bayside in Lav or down at kite island.

I ride Naish Bolts (got them from a friend that takes care of his all his stuff in an anal retentive way, I mean you can eat off the Caterpillars in his Albermarle, and at an unbelievable price) and have them in 9 & 12. I weigh about 205.

Generally speaking if its capping out front I can go on my 12. As mentioned above, you WILL want a smaller kite too...but not only for the fall. Bayside SW thermals can crank up. Probably rode my 9 down at Kite Island 5 or 6 times this summer.

I think a 12 is a good starting point, but you will will want to follow with a smaller kite in short order. I'll also add that my bolts dont have that great of a low end grunt as compared to another friend's Cab Switchblade, but I dont mind because if its that flat I'm generally offshore chasing tuna anyways. Its about covering all your bases :wink:

vp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:23 am

Touche wrote:I'm as beginner as it gets still on lessons but am looking to get my own gear for next Spring.

My local instructor told me I can look at several options in a Slingshot Rally, North Evo and Core kites in a 12m size.

My local spot is Sandy Hook in NJ we typically get 10-15 mph winds with an occasional 15-20.

Right now i weigh 188 lbs. and will probably be around 190+ lbs. by next summer.

My biggest question is what size kite should I be looking to buy a 12m? Or maybe a 14m?

Also what are some other options for kites I could look at? Because I've been having trouble finding anything used from the given kites.
At Sandy Hook, 190lbs, with a regular twin tip (~140cm), here are your options:

1 kite quiver: 12m - this would be your budget option, you will probably miss about half of possible riding days.
2 kite quiver: 10m, 14m - you'll get about 80-90% of ridable days.
3 kite quiver: 9m,12m, 17m - ~98% of ridable days will be covered.

http://greenhatkiteboarding.com
Check us out. we are local and have a ton of gear in stock from many brands and for any budget (new, clearance, used):
888-KITE-001

Touche
Rare Poster

Postby Touche » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:39 pm

randycasburn wrote:Two factors you've not mentioned: board type/size is a huge factor and current velocity / direction has a huge impact on power generated by the kite.

I weigh 175, ride in conditions from ~9 - 28 mph with little current and I have a three kite quiver consisting of 17m, 14m, and 11m kites and two boards of 146x45 and OR Mako 140.

All beginners, somewhat rationally, look for the perfect one kite quiver. When I was starting I did too. You likely won't ride a 12m kite on those 10-14 mph days and on the 15-18mph days you'll have fun in the beginning but not as after you've progressed a bit.

So, the answer to your question might be in the following answers...

How many lessons have you had so far?
What were the wind conditions during those lessons?
What kites did you instructor choose for you to use during your lessons?
What board types/sizes did you instructor choose for you to use?
I've had 2 lessons one abroad at 4 hours. Got up to board starts but then wind died out so never got to really ride.

Did another 2 hour lesson 2 months later with the local guy re practicing launches, relaunch self rescues board start and started riding downwind a bit.

4 hrs lesson I ended up with some kind of cabrinha 12m.

The 2 hr lesson my instructor had me practice on his 12m slingshot RPM. He told me it wasn't a good kite to learn on but was decent enough for our immediate lesson.

Winds on one occasion were probably 14-15 and 10-12 another.

This is why I'm looking for my own kite. To use during lessons and practice in between.

So far I've only bought a hybrid seat/waist harness.

Looking at boards too but have not found anything yet.

Touche
Rare Poster

Postby Touche » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:42 pm

vp wrote:
Touche wrote:I'm as beginner as it gets still on lessons but am looking to get my own gear for next Spring.

1 kite quiver: 12m - this would be your budget option, you will probably miss about half of possible riding days.

Check us out. we are local and have a ton of gear in stock from many brands and for any budget (new, clearance, used):
888-KITE-001
Well let's say I would buy one kite for now and by the end of the season a 2nd size kite.

I am indeed on a budget and still have to buy a board so I'll have to do this one step at a time.

I've scanned over the kites on there but not sure what to go with pricewise.

Touche
Rare Poster

Postby Touche » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:43 pm

mdksniper wrote:You should be looking at a 12m for summertime in NJ. A 14 would be a good idea as well. I probably rode my 8m (I'm 210 lbs) one time all summer. A 9m is a must have for fall/winter/spring kiting. I been on my 9m since October and haven't used anything else.

A good quiver for NJ: 9, 12, 14m

Predominant winds are SW too. I'd recommend Long Beach Island and Kite Island for your summer spots. The kiters are way cooler down south and the spots are much less crowded.

I can't give you any info on those specific kites other than your instructor probably sells those kites and wants you to buy from him. Don't feel obligated.

You should definitely check out a variety of kite brands.

Good beginner kites:
Naish Ride (have a 12m i'm trying to get rid of! ;))
Liquid Force Envy (2015 models are sick!)
Cabrinha Radar

Check out atlantickiteboarding.com and/or greenhatkiteboarding.com if you are looking to buy local.

How much would you be getting rid of the 12m for? :)

I'm willing to buy from anywhere. By local I just meant riding local :)

I would honestly want to grab something second hand as a first kite.

I would honestly love to hit up spots in South Jersey but I live further up North in Woodbridge and Sandy Hook is 45 minutes away with no traffic.

I'll take a look at those sites again later tonight.

So far I've been hunting for gear on craigslist and ebay

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:07 am

vp wrote:

888-KITE-001
i agree with vp 100%. i weigh 215 lbs and i kited at the hook 1-3 times a week almost every week from labor day till mid december (could have been more if not for work) and used a 13m and a 9m with a 140cm board. a 12m will def get you out the most if your looking to buy one kite and one board but if you really want to get out as often as possible then you will def need another smaller kite like an 9m.

some tips for saving money while expanding your windrange would be to buy 2 sizes of the same kite so you only have to have 1 bar, or as someone else mentioned is to buy another large board for lighter wind. i have a surf fish and a 165cm cabrina stylus which get me an extra 2 to 3 kts on my bottom end of my kites.
your best bet is to buy a kite being sold on clearance or a used demo kite from greenhat since it'll be cheaper, good condition, they're local and i see them kite at the hook sometimes

as far as hunting craigslist and e-bay, i got my 2011 13m and 9m on e-bay and while the kites were in good shape, the bar and some of the lines were not which didnt make my first launching of the kite "not fun". its much better to get from a shop that has a reputation to maintain than to gamble with your money/life from strangers who could care less once the exchange is done. if theres one thing ive learned through my journey of buying kiting gear and observing others is that you get exactly what you pay for in performance per dollar.

for what kind of kite your want, look for delta shaped or hybrid kites with good relaunch (you'll be doing alot of it), good upwind ability (every bit helps when starting out), and stability(so the kite stays put so you can focus on your board work, body position and weight distribution).
hope that helps and mabey ill see you out on the hook next spring

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:50 am

Have a look at Switchkites...
Element/Method (van be compared to slingshot rally) and Nitro
Prices are way lower than the well know brands, quality is equal to the other brands or even better than some! Great support etc
Www.Switchkites.com

Dude :cool2:

Return to “Kitesurfing”