Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ther's wind
Gear: naish and nobile
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

F-one trax 2015 size , need advise

Postby tolvsbo » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:40 am

Does anyone have any experience and advice on different board sizes ?

is it a big difference between the 137x42 and 136x40,5 ? if so what are the differences ?

is the 140x45 a pure lightwind board or just a bit wider ?? :-)

greatful for input

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: F-one trax 2015 size , need advise

Postby matth » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:42 pm

We are talking centimeters here. 1cm to 1.5cm on the same board would be hard to detect. My guess is they are not the same model. I can not imaging a company making a model so close in size. Board size does not tell the whole story. Channels, rocker , concave , shape of tips, etc all effect how a board will ride.
140x45 is a big TT size , but not big enough to be considered light wind specific. That would be a good everyday size for a big guy( say 225lbs plus) or maybe a light wind board for a fly weight( say 140lbs or less)

Personally I would always rather have a slightly big board over a slightly small board.

Wow! I just looked up that board. I have never seen the same model board come in different sizes so close together.....
1 Centimeter is about 3/8ths of and inch. 1.5cm about 3/4 of an inch....scratching my head here..

URSS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie de Valois
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Gear: EH ripper
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince

Postby URSS » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:13 am

As many companies F-One usually have 3 sizes by models : small / medium / big.

I'm an average rider (175 pounds) and I have the average size 136x40.5, wich is perfect for 80% of my rides. I have the 2014 TRAX (not carbone) and I love it, but I've tried the carbone model and it really worth the extra 100$.

Last year I got the TX6 136x40, and it's was perfect for freeride but not for freestyle. In 2014 they have introduced the TX6 flat channel on the TRAX making it much more versatile : earlier planning compared to TRAX 2013. That's why I bought it. Regarding the sizes variation, not so sure about matth's comments. If you look other boards/brands 1 to 1.5cm variation by sizes is common. Just make the math with other brands/models :wink:

Regarding the lightwing version (140x45) I had a chance to try I in two totaly different situations:

First try in 15-20 knots with a 9m kite in choppy conditions. First impression was "this board is smooth in the chop, no splash, I can hold it easily in 20 knots, board is light, I can pop hard and landing are smooth event if the board is big". Logically my conclusion was : it can't be a good lightwing board!

Second time was before leaving a kite trip in Cuba. I was taking my flight that day and didn't want to get all my stock wet. F-One sales rep offered me to ride it's 2015 demos but most them were on the water. Wind was blowing 10-12 knots and people were riding 12-14m kites. The only demos available where a 2105 Bandit 6m and the ligthwind Trax. I was flabbergasted to be able to ride in these contitions with a 6m kite!

Conclusion :
If we are an average rider (160-185 pounds) with a big kite (14m), you want to maximise "fun time" on the water, this is your board! Again, the flat channel in the center seems to be working very well for early planning. It's rocker on the edge and it's flex deals with the chop and the landinds. Bigger riders with 17-19m kites will also love this boad.

Big rider (220 pounds) in a sub 8 knots wind quest, will need a bigger board (143x47). But at this size "fun factor" goes down!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:37 am

The only time(except for a few exceptions) you will see numbers that close is when they offer around 6 sizes, NOT THREE!!

Do you really think you could feel the difference in 1cm in length?

http://www.cabrinhakites.com/kiteboard/ ... odel.html#

Cabrinhas Complete board line including a few boards with 5 and 6 models averages 4.15cm difference in length, as high as 10cms..
Last edited by matth on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:41 am

matth wrote:
That's what she said.. :girl:

matth
Very Frequent Poster

Postby matth » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:45 am

Do-it wrote:
matth wrote:
I knew that was coming...lol

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:17 am

matth wrote:
Do-it wrote:
matth wrote:
I knew that was coming...lol

lol.... I have the same doubts. How much difference does even four cm make? And if you find yourself in lightwind conditions bigger is always better. I would rather get the bigger board in hopes of flying a smaller kite. I think rocker comes into play waaaaay more than a few cm of board.

URSS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Baie de Valois
Oka
Vaudreuil
Anse a l'orme
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras
Magdelan Island
Shippagan
Gear: EH ripper
Monkey Griffin
Ozone Instince

Postby URSS » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:49 am

matth

I realise you were refering to lenght when I was refering to width.

I was thinking to width since adding 1cm on width will have +/- 3.5 times more impact on "lightwind-ability" than adding 1 cm on the lenght. Logic : lenght to width ratio is +/- 3.5. It has even more impact if you increase the width of the flat channel.

So when they say size doesn't matter don't believe them. In fact width matters! :wink:

Regarding the best option between smaller-board-bigger-kite or bigger-board-smaller-kite combo, there is no good or bad answer . Smaller-board-bigger-kite combo better serves my riding style/preference.

tolvsbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ther's wind
Gear: naish and nobile

Postby tolvsbo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:02 am

Tnx for advise and humor :-)

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:34 pm

I am 175lb. I have 2014 TRAX carbon 135cm which I am happy about. Initially i wanted to order 136 cm but they were out of stock so I got 135cm. It is definitely long enough.
When it is really windy and choppy I would love to try even a smaller board to see if can edge a bit better through the chop prior to jumping.

Return to “Kitesurfing”